• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Repurposed PFD into portage pads

Reaction score
Ended up repurposing some discarded stuff to make a set of portage pads. I used the following online tutorial as a reference point but tweaked the dimensions a bit...
http://myweb.arvig.net/knudsen/bwca/portagepads/

Last fall during an end-of-season shoreline cleanup on the cottage, I came across a barely used, kid-sized, lifejacket tangled in some reeds.
Portage%2BPad%2BProject%2B01_rs.jpg

Instead of tossing it, the foam inserts seemed perfect for this project so the PFD was cut up and the innards removed. The orange nylon will be re-purposed into a rope bag or a sack for tent stakes. For the wooden base, I used some pristine looking pine that were originally slats from an IKEA bed. A neighbor left them to be tossed into landfill on garbage day.
DSCN0062_rs.jpg

I basically followed the tutorials instructions but used 2-1/2" carriage bolts. For the metal bar, I used a 4" straight steel brace commonly used in shelving. The holes in the brace are offset which explains why the carriage bolts don't look aligned. Here is a picture of the wood bases (3.5" wide by 8" long) along with the foam from the lifejacket.
Portage%2BPad%2BProject%2B07_rs.jpg

The foam was trimmed to shape but before wrapping in canvas, I wanted to test how many layers would be suitable for the pads in order to be comfortable but also reduce the bulk. After temporarily wrapping the wooden bases with foam and rubber bands, they were attached to the canoe for a test run.
Portage%2BPad%2BProject%2B05_rs.jpg

After tinkering a bit, ended up using 5 pieces of foam each. This worked out to about 2-1/4" of padding and 3" overall height including the wood base. Also wrapped the metal plate with some duct tape to minimize scratching up the varnish on the original center thwart. Differed from the original tutorial in the fold up technique. Not very professional looking from underneath but the canvas material is pretty taut around the foam.
Portage%2BPad%2BProject%2B11_rs.jpg

Here's the finished work...
Portage%2BPad%2BProject%2B16_rs.jpg

Anybody else make their own pads?

No Title

This is as simple as it gets, I slide the paddle blades under the pads that are held on with light rope, with the grip ends through some shock cord loops on the bow seat. I have two types of manufactured pads but prefer this method because I carry my paddles that way anyway and the because there is enough room for an 8 inch blade under the pads and my paddles are a lot less then that so I can adjust the width on the fly for maximum comfort.

Attachments

• photo7618.jpg
    photo7618.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2
Another thing like about my pads is that my packs don't get stuck on them when I try to pull them over the yoke to unload at landings that you can't get broadside to shore.

No matter what you need pads and yours look comfy. I think you can get those orange pfds at wallmart for less than 8 bucks.

Nice job on the portage pads and great re-use of discarded materials. I had a similar Idea about re using the flotation pad in a pool float for picnic table seat pads but it was gone when I returned.

I made a solo yoke many years ago for a Sawyer Autumn Mist based on a Cliff Jacobson pattern I found in"Canoe" magazine. I used some CCF pieces I had lying around for the padding and it was all wrapped by vinyl stapled to the wooden base; very similar to what you already pictured. While I don't use this canoe much any longer (got some lighter ones in the barn now), the yoke still works well.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...

be well.

snapper

I have a couple of pairs I made also and I find them very comfortable with my heavy canoes. I always have them on a trip, once I get the canoe up on my shoulders they make life easy.

Back