• Happy There's Nothing Like a Dame Day! 👩🏼‍🦳👗👙🎦

Question about a Vermont Indy...

Reaction score
Howdy,

I just picked up a Vermont (and/or Mad River?) Indy. I believe it used to be Jim Henry's wife's boat that they used to go striper fishing on Cape Cod. The shop I bought it from has Jim Henry's boat still, a pre preg Slipper. Both have a modified sliding seat and an anchor (anchor removed). I wanted to go back to a canoe seat, but I want to verify the seat location. Is it where the red tape is? Under the tape were pop rivets that look like the right spacing for a seat.

Happy to link the shop, but should I do that here or in classifieds?
20220818_184832.jpg20220818_184903.jpg

The center to center bolt hole spacing on the wood-frame seats installed in most MRC canoes was 8 to 8 1/2 inches. If the holes in the gunwales are spaced like that they were probably used for the seat hangers.

The Independence is a symmetrical hull. If you want neutral trim in a symmetrical hull, position the front edge of the front rail of the seat frame 3-4" aft of the longitudinal center of the canoe.

Hard to be certain from the perspective of your photo, but it looks as if those holes are about in the right place to position a seat thus.

Congratulations! I missed out on a glass Indy in my state. It was very nice looking, I was sad.

I can’t tell you for sure if those rivet-filled holes are correct, but I would say they’re the perfect place to install a seat and see if you like it before drilling different holes! I am much averse to drilling holes in boats…

Thanks for the advice! I had to modify the drops a little bit, but got the seat all set up. Looking forward to trying it out!

This morning I measured my Independence length to front of seat from bow
of glass hull at 97” plus or minus a 1/4”. Seat is 10.25” web seat

Last edited:
This morning I measured my Independence length to front of seat from bow
of glass hull at 97” plus or minus a 1/4”. Seat is 10.25” web seat
If the Vermont Canoe version of the Independence follows the same specs as the MRC version, it is 15' 8" in length overall. That would be easy to confirm with a tape.
So since half of 188 inches is 94" that places the front edge of the seat 3" aft of longitudinal center which should be just about perfect for neutral trim.

Late reply but figured you should know that was Jim’s Indy. The smaller Slipper was Nancy’s (pretty neat all Airex construction).
The leading edge of the seat in my Indy is about 97” as well. Though, I get better handling with a 4pack of premium pints stowed just behind my toes while kneeling... until the cans are empty. Cheers, to your Independence! 🍻

Back