• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Poll: What Site Color Theme Do You Use Most Often?

What site color theme do you use most often?

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Arctic

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Mocha

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Shades of Blue

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Shades of Grey

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Chestnut Green-Gray

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried all six themes and sometimes I like one for a few weeks, and then another, but the one I gravitate to most often is Shades of Grey. This is primarily because I find the dark theme easier and less stressful on my eyes, given that I spend so much time on my laptop computer each day especially at night.

I've never tried any of the others until now. I just went through them and didn't see anything that could convince me to change from 'default.'

My only suggestion would be to give "default" a more hip name so I could feel cooler about using it.

Alan

#1 - Didn't know there were options.
#2 - Have no idea where to even look for them.

Any help would be appreciated. Would be interested in checking out the options.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I found them by scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page. On the left was a little paintbrush that said "default style". Clicking on that opened the different choices.

Alan

#1 - Didn't know there were options.
#2 - Have no idea where to even look for them.

You can find detailed information on the site's color themes (or styles) in these three threads:

I picked green/grey when the options first appeared. I just checked the current selections and I'm sticking with what I have.

I find the dark theme easier and less stressful on my eyes...
I do like having a background other than bright white but I'm not keen on dark blue or black. Is there a way to have a light grey background, perhaps just a bit darker than the reply/quote box grey?

Is there a way to have a light grey background, perhaps just a bit darker than the reply/quote box grey?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by reply/quote box grey. But to answer your question, a near infinite variety of color themes is theoretically possible if you have the technical expertise to modify Xenforo code or want to pay an expert to do so. I am not that expert and am not willing to pay money, which we don't have, for any more than the six color themes I've already paid for.

Actually, I do have about four other packaged color themes I probably could implement with several hours of my time for research to do it myself, but I think all four are grotesque. Our six color themes are more than just about any other Xenforo site I'm familiar with.

I may someday have a "throwback to vBulletin" day, wherein I make available the site logo, theme and style of that era, which I still have, but it really wouldn't look the same with all the changes I've made to the forum structure, information widgets, status bars, and other format items.

I am not that expert and am not willing to pay money, which we don't have, for any more than the six color themes I've already paid for.

Actually, I do have about four other packaged color themes I probably could implement with several hours of my time for research to do it myself, but I think all four are grotesque. Our six color themes are more than just about any other Xenforo site I'm familiar with.
Sorry, I wasn't aware of how difficult (or expensive) it was to set color themes for this website. I'll continue to use the default theme. Works just fine. Thank you for your time and effort keeping this site going.

Thanks for the assistance! I'm now in the Arctic and enjoying the look. Who knows? I may enjoy changing them from time to time but at least now I know what to look for and how to do it. Truly appreciate the help for this computer Luddite.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thanks for the assistance! I'm now in the Arctic and enjoying the look. Who knows? I may enjoy changing them from time to time but at least now I know what to look for and how to do it. Truly appreciate the help for this computer Luddite.

No problem, Snapper. Why not give Arctic your vote in the poll. The poor thing is out in the cold without any votes yet. You can always change your vote later in the polls I post.

I thought I was in default, but it turns out I'm in Mocha so I just changed my response in the poll. I also might start messing around with this now and again. I'd forgotten changing color themes was an option.

Some of the color themes don't show link words as well as others; the links words get somewhat washed out. Also, the black daily notice banner seems to work the best with all six color themes, although it sometimes doesn't work well with the daily emojis I choose. So, sometimes I use a white notice banner instead.

The Default theme, blue fonts on a white background, is the one and only that all Xenforo licenses come with. There are some third parties who sell color theme packages for Xenforo. When I switched webhosts to Driven 2, the hosting plan came with 10 of these third party color themes. I've implemented five of those. Each has to be customized to fit the logo header and some other parameters. In the beginning, I didn't know how to do any of this and paid our webmaster to do it. I did the last two myself.

Sometimes these packages are not updated when updates to Xenforo are released and conflicts can occur. I had to change out Minty Green for this reason and replace it with what I named Chestnut Green-Gray.

The Xenforo Administrative Control Panel has the ability to change colors for all sorts of things, but to implement those controls is beyond my current technical knowledge.

I picked the green one because the default was the only option for another bb I frequent (nothing to do with canoes or out of doors). I have sent that web master here for examples of better options on other things.

Back