• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Poll: What do you sleep on mostly when canoe camping?

What do you sleep on mostly when canoe camping?

• Nothing - basically just a ground cloth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solid foam pad

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Hybrid foam/air pad like a ThermaRest

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • Air mattress

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Cot

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Hammock

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Something else (what?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My first thermarest is still going strong. I bought it on a Florida to Denver CO road trip in college to attend GSA. ‘98 or ‘99. It was a great step up from the super crappy thin closed cell foam pad. I’ve since added a second thermarest. When camping with my wife and 4 kids, the wife and I get a queen sized air mattress and the kids have stacking cot bunks. But this level of camping is reserved for the vehicle based, drive up to the campsite, pitch the tent.

The Exped has an internal easily used pump that you push on. It has down in the baffles that keeps you warm in cold weather, I used it on work trips lying on the aluminum floor of C5 and C17 aircraft as well as camping on the ground. It’s been bomb proof and comfy.

I have Thermarest Base Camp pads dating back to the early 1980s that are still going strong. I still like them but they are a bit bulky and take some time and effort to fully deflate.

I have used the non-self-inflating pads from Exped when I need something that will pack down smaller and lighter than a Thermarest. But I have now had the internal baffles blow out on two Exped pads. The most recent blow-out occurred on a multi-day downriver trip when four baffles blew out over the course of about 10 minutes making the pad impossible to sleep on. I had no recourse but to deflate the pad and sleep on it on the tent floor.

That pad was a Synmat UL. It was purchased years ago when Exped baffle blow-outs were notoriously common. Exped has replaced it and has assured me, or tried to, that this problem has been solved. The other Exped pad was a rectangular Downmat 7 with separate inflation and deflation valves. That one also was quite a few years old but had been used very lightly when it blew out. I really liked that pad and Exped did replace it, but with a mummy style pad that was severely cut and with only a single inflate/deflate valve. I hate that pad and will probably never use it. If anyone reading this has had a relatively recently purchased Exped pad blow out, please report it.

As for puncture proof self-inflating mats, I finally broke down and ordered a Paco Pad, made by Jacks Plastic Welding. These are like Thermarest pads with a tough, Hypalon skin. Rafters on the Colorado River have been using these for decades and throw them right down on the rocks. If they get wet they can be wiped off and dry much more quickly than a Thermarest pad. They are certainly not the lightest and don't have a small packed size but are not outrageous for canoe camping.

Has anyone used a Paco Pad for river tripping? I wonder about their R-value which is not reported by Jacks Plastic Welding.

Exped Megamat Lite, wide, and now coupled with an Exped Chair Kit, which I use to make it into a lounge chair for reading in the tent and a slightly raised back for sleeping (I hate sleeping totally flat on my back).

My go to ground dwelling pad is the Nemo Tensor Alpine. I also usually bring a hammock with me, lately it’s been a customized Dream Hammock.

I detest Exped pads. I think they absolutely suck. I’ve owned three top end models from them and they have all failed miserably.

Sam

My go to ground dwelling pad is the Nemo Tensor Alpine. I also usually bring a hammock with me, lately it’s been a customized Dream Hammock.

I detest Exped pads. I think they absolutely suck. I’ve owned three top end models from them and they have all failed miserably.

Sam
Do you recall about what years those three Exped pads were manufactured?

The reason I ask is they swear up and down that the defects have been corrected. But I am still rather leery.

My three Exped blowouts were 2014 2015 and 2016. I too am leery of getting another though. We are currently not camping out much but have Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Pads.. If there is a blow out it does not go entirely flat or develop a hernia.

My three Exped blowouts were 2014 2015 and 2016. I too am leery of getting another though. We are currently not camping out much but have Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Pads.. If there is a blow out it does not go entirely flat or develop a hernia.
Yeah, the two Exped pads that I had blown baffles with were about that vintage as well.

Klymit Static V insulated air mattress. As insurance and extra insulation I place a head to knee section of a closed cell foam underneath the Klymit. The air mattress has held up well over the past 10 years or so, no leaks or failure

Do you recall about what years those three Exped pads were manufactured?

The reason I ask is they swear up and down that the defects have been corrected. But I am still rather leery.
Yes,

All were older models, 8+ years ago.

Mostly a Klymit air mattress.

I’ve also got a hammock and a Tentsile tree tent. I go back and forth but mostly like the room and simplicity of a tent on the ground.

Hammock doesn’t have much protection from weather and just a cocoon for sleep…feel very vulnerable in the backcountry. It is awesome on warm summer nights. Tree tent is neat but heavy and more difficult to set up. You need a near perfect arrangement of trees. Its essentially a hammock tent…but like sleeping on a trampoline. Hope you like bouncing every time you move. Being up off the ground is really nice when theres no flat spot for a tent or ground is wet and muddy.

I've been using a Klymit air mattress, but I bought myself a light weight cot that I'm going to try next summer.

OOPS!! wrong thread for this post - sorry - I am a dork!

My dog Jake and I have been tripping for 8 years now. as posted many times we do not use a sleeping bag, we use blankets. They are notoriously heavy and bulky and a pain to portage with the rest of our kit. The last few years I have been experimenting with the "Jungle Blanket" from Snugpak. It is synthetic - so a bit out of my comfort zone, but really light, warm and packs extremely well. This has really been a great solution so far for a guy who hates sleeping bags and a dog who gets cold at night. We have used it in temps in low 30's and still remained comfortable. Perhaps someone may find this link useful.

Bob.

I use both. hammocks and closed cell foam pad. The hammock is great, i use a top and under quilt and feel I have it pretty dialed in. (For what thats worth).But wile canoe tripping in the adk s I've been wanting more room to fiddle around when the Flys are feasting, and the skys are pouring. So I have been tenting more often recently. A eureka 2 man free standing tent, therma rest foam pad, and ee 30* quilt.One thing I really enjoy about bringing the foam pad is the utility of it. It will allow me to use lean tos, nice to sit /lay on wile portaging, and supplemental flotation for boat/ gear. (12' hornbeck). So although I love the hammock and use it on all hiking trips, but for me now a foam pad comes either way. As far as inflatables, iam usually a bust.

Back