• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Poll: What type of device do you mostly use to logon to CTN?

What device do you mostly use to logon to CTN?

• Desktop computer - Windows

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Desktop computer - Apple

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Laptop/notebook - Windows

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Laptop/notebook - Apple

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Laptop/notebook - Chromebook

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Tablet - Windows

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tablet - Apple

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Tablet - Android

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Phone - Apple

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Phone - Android

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Something else - what?

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Also, people spend a lot of time posting one- and two-liners to social media
Not picking on anyone but I'm always amused when bulletin boards are not considered "social media" since they were the original social media.

I guess I like brevity and have considered bulletin boards more like a lounge discussion rather than a lecture hall.

Not picking on anyone but I'm always amused when bulletin boards are not considered "social media" since they were the original social media.

I guess I like brevity and have considered bulletin boards more like a lounge discussion rather than a lecture hall.

There can be brief, high quality responses that advance the discussion, almost "active listening", and there's a lot of that on this board. On "social media" (web2.0?) the short responses are often junk, not really entering the discussion at all but just expressing encouragement or disparagement of the OP. And if the utility function is "engagement", that's how you design the platform. I'm totally with you on this "new stuff" being old stuff that finally went mainstream and made somebody rich, Twitter at its worst looks a lot like a 1980's Usenet flame war. There wasn't the character limit, but 1200 baud kept it terse.

On the poll, I'm "something else", usually a Linux desktop. Sometimes a windows desktop, rarely an android phone, never a tablet. If there's a remote chance I'll have something to add, I want my keyboard.

Maybe we need some web3 around here. If @Robin sold an NFT of his turning an 18' Chestnut into a 16' Chestnut he could be rich! (joke)

It is difficult typing on a phone. Right now I am using one index finger. However the younger generation is quite adept at using two thumbs and with the autocorrection tech, rather fast at long responses.

The point is well made, but I put a pretty big distinction between fora and the current drive-by garbage social media. One is useful, the other is harmful.

Last edited:
I do occasionally log in on my iphone, but it is cumbersome and I can not see all photos...plus responding is way easier on my Windows 7 desktop, that's right, Windows 7.
I spent much of my working days with advanced technology and sophisticated engineering, design and analysis software, I much prefer a simpler connection now.

Since I retired two years ago, all my time logging into the forum has been on a Chromebook I picked up prior to leaving the college. I just picked up my first Smartphone (Samsung A21) at Christmas but don't see me using it for much more than actual phone calls, the occasional text and the camera. I used to joke with my students that from a technology standpoint, I'm one step removed from hunting down a goose, picking a feather and sharpening up a quill pen.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

The point is well made, but I put a pretty big distinction between fora and the current drive-by garbage social media. One is useful, the other is harmful.
I find the NFCT group on Facebook useful. I haven't visited the BWCA.COM Facebook group much but I think well behaved. I've also found some bulletin boards that have a lot of crap.

I find the NFCT group on Facebook useful. I haven't visited the BWCA.COM Facebook group much but I think well behaved. I've also found some bulletin boards that have a lot of crap.
Sigh. I spose you’re not wrong. But I’ll nurse my disdain just the same 😁

It is difficult typing on a phone. Right now I am using one index finger. However the younger generation is quite adept at using two thumbs and with the autocorrection tech, rather fast at long responses.
I have to tell this story.
I took my granddaughter to one of her indoor soccer games and sat next to a lady who was maybe 35 yo. During the game she took out her phone and started texting. Both thumbs going at a blistering speed. I was mesmerized then she let out a hoop and I realized she was watching the game while doing this! I was truly amazed! Then her thumbs came to an abrupt halt. She caught me staring. I apologized and told her I had never seen anyone with such a talent. She told me she has three teen/preteen daughters and that's all they do is text all day, so she developed this skill.

I have to tell this story.
I took my granddaughter to one of her indoor soccer games and sat next to a lady who was maybe 35 yo. During the game she took out her phone and started texting. Both thumbs going at a blistering speed. I was mesmerized then she let out a hoop and I realized she was watching the game while doing this! I was truly amazed! Then her thumbs came to an abrupt halt. She caught me staring. I apologized and told her I had never seen anyone with such a talent. She told me she has three teen/preteen daughters and that's all they do is text all day, so she developed this skill.
Sad that people let these devices consume their life. There is so much in life to take in and they are missing it all by their faces buried in the device.

I still write in cursive; rarely print. I was taking notes at a client’s house and the people watching me were amazed; not only was I writing cursive, but I was doing it so fast!

I’ll write a short reply like this on the tablet, but for a trip report or meaningful discussion, I want a keyboard and a large monitor.

So, I agree that with time, there will be a decrease in meaningful conversation. I’m really happy to see that still here.

Depends. Not that depends.
On the road I will be on my phone. Its a PITA to type so I just read if I am passenger.
If we are at a campsite with any cell phone reception I make the phone a Wifi hotspot and use a PC. So it varies. Right now in Ochlocknee State Park and preparing to paddle.

I don't find the query useful as it does not allow for more than one method.

Depends. Not that depends.
On the road I will be on my phone. Its a PITA to type so I just read if I am passenger.
If we are at a campsite with any cell phone reception I make the phone a Wifi hotspot and use a PC. So it varies. Right now in Ochlocknee State Park and preparing to paddle.

It’s a little dreary here in Tally, hope you had a nice paddle this morning!

I suppose when I started this thread that I only had in mind what kind of device folks used at home or at work (when the boss ain't looking), but it's interesting to find out the different devices used at different times, such as when on road excursions to go paddling. I don't know what using a phone to be a wifi hotspot means, but I guess I can look that up.

Have a great time, Kim and Jim!

Glenn, some phones, or some carriers, allow you to turn your phone into a “hotspot” meaning you can pair your laptop or tablet via Bluetooth to the phone and use the phone’s cellular signal as internet access for your device. Works very well…

I used to have hotspot on my iPhone, but I guess Verizon didn’t like that and took it away. They prefer to sell you that as additional “service”, even though my attitude is I’m already paying for that connection regardless of what I’m connecting. When we start putting kids on phones in our household, it will be something like Pure Talk or Red Pocket, for much less money.

Glenn, some phones, or some carriers, allow you to turn your phone into a “hotspot” meaning you can pair your laptop or tablet via Bluetooth to the phone and use the phone’s cellular signal as internet access for your device. Works very well…

I used to have hotspot on my iPhone, but I guess Verizon didn’t like that and took it away. They prefer to sell you that as additional “service”, even though my attitude is I’m already paying for that connection regardless of what I’m connecting. When we start putting kids on phones in our household, it will be something like Pure Talk or Red Pocket, for much less money.
We have Verizon but you may have a different plan. As we are on the road we have unlimited data use. Comes in handy when someone piles up on the road and we can avoid it with the aid of Google Maps which uses a lot of data. The only problem is my hotspot took a bike ride yesterday and I was 'in the dark"!
When our kids turned fifteen we got a second landline for our anniversary present. So it goes. That was a while back!

As we are on the road we have unlimited data use. Comes in handy when someone piles up on the road and we can avoid it with the aid of Google Maps which uses a lot of data.

That leaves me out of the phone hotspot club. I just went on a new plan with no data allotment to save money, since I've rarely used any data in the six years I've had waste-of-money-to-me smartphones. I've tried two different road navigation programs that allow you to download maps into the phones, so you don't have to use data. They work okay, but not as good as my Garmin GPS.

I prefer a Garmin GPS too, both a handheld in a canoe and one that suction cups to the windshield. For me the phone calling feature of my dumbphone is the waste!

Back