• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

PIctures of celebrities in canoes

Every time I see the Biktarv commercial on tv, the one with the guy paddling a old Grumman from the stern seat, with about six feet of the bow cantilevered out over the water, then later carrying it straight over head arms extended, I think of our own lowangle al.

Correct on Red Skelton, I wonder if that was his pool and canoe.

Mr. Birch I would never carry a canoe like that. (unless maybe if my shoulders were sunburned) This is a good reminder to never get sunburned on a portage heavy trip.

Obvious one.

BVTJAD4I3CAJFTPPBESR3ZWX3Q.jpg

frozentripper.........
Thank you for including Gordon Lightfoot. He is my all time favorite folk song singer/song writer. I got to see him live at the Patty Gym in Fairbanks, Alaska in the summer of 1974. I got a seat close to the stage, whoever yelled loudest, with the the name for the next song they wanted, got to hear it, so I got to hear my favorites. IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND, THE PONY MAN, CANADIAN RAILROAD TRILOGY and FOR LOVING ME are one's that readily come to mind.
Thanks for the flashbacks,
...........Birchy

YW, BB... I also saw him during the seventies, at Massey hall in Toronto... he would talk to the audience, lots of contact and down to earth. The Railroad Trilogy is still one of my favorites... brings back memories listening to FM radio when it was new, a long time ago.

PS... Bob Dylan said at one time that Gordon Lightfoot was his favorite songwriter...

Oscar Speck being greeted by native canoeists in Papua, New Guinea, in 1938, on his paddle from Germany to Australia from 1932-1939, the longest kayak journey in history.

Oskar Speck, Papua, New Guinea.jpg

The "Queen of the Serials", especially those with daredevil, cliff-hanger endings such as The Perils of Pauline, Pearl White (1889-1938) performed most of her own stunts, including (gasp!) standing up in a canoe.
Pearl White canoe.jpg

frozentripper.........
Thank you for including Gordon Lightfoot. He is my all time favorite folk song singer/song writer. I got to see him live at the Patty Gym in Fairbanks, Alaska in the summer of 1974. I got a seat close to the stage, whoever yelled loudest, with the the name for the next song they wanted, got to hear it, so I got to hear my favorites. IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND, THE PONY MAN, CANADIAN RAILROAD TRILOGY and FOR LOVING ME are one's that readily come to mind.
Thanks for the flashbacks,
...........Birchy
I phoned in the instant tickets were going on sale and was lucky enough to grab 4 seats in the 6th row for Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue when it rolled thru Toronto. Included in the troupe were Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and GordonLightfoot.
We sat so close it felt like the concert was in our living room. What a great show.
I hum a Lightfoot tune every trip north I take.

Good post FT, I knew about Lightfoot's canoe (and his trips far north) but couldn't find any photos.

Last edited:
Back