• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

PIctures of celebrities in canoes

Great picture, dogbrain......
I do not know for sure, but if that is the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Ontario, the canoe would/could be Sigrud F. Olson's. Either his Morse-Vezie or newer one that White Brothers made for him. Sig & Bob took a canoe trip in August of 1937 into what later became Quetico Park and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. A little over two years later Bob Marshall had died.

How about Ashton Kutcher as Kelso on "That 70's Show" in a Great Canadian about to be pulled down the street by Hyde in his Camaro.

Canoekelso.jpg

Pearl White canoe.jpg

Those of you who were going to the movies in 1914 will, of course, remember the "Queen of Serials" who starred in the "first blockbuster movie", which popularized the damsel-in-distress genre along with the serial ending device and the very word "cliffhanger".

Yes, Pearl White, who performed most of her own stunts in the famous 1914 Perils of Pauline movie serial once hung from the cliffs of the New Jersey Palisades. In 1915, White followed up with an even bigger box office hit serial of the same genre, the Exploits of Elaine.

Stand up canoe paddling would have been a piece of cake for the first feminine-but-badass movie heroine.

On edit: Oh redundant my, I already posted this picture earlier. At least I gave more info this time.

This 1934 date, with one of the best real life horsemen in film history, was probably less stressful than her relationship with the original King Kong.

View attachment 114191
View attachment 114192

Less dudes and more Fay Wray!

Sure. After Fay and McCrea (the young Mike?) tipped their canoe over with their positional forehorseplay, they had to portage through a swamp, scared not of bears but of The Most Dangerous Game.

Fay Wray Joel McCrea Swamp Portaging.jpg

Not sure if this belongs in celebrities in canoes or if it is just a bit of canoe culture.

Last night I was watching "Born Yesterday" -- a 1950 comedy set in Washington, DC, starring William Holden and Judy Holiday. There's a scene where Holden and Holliday decide to go to a National Symphony Orchestra concert down at the Watergate Steps -- those are steps on the back side of the Lincoln Memorial that go down to the Potomac River.

In the movie, the orchestra plays from a barge on the Potomac. While most of the crowd is sitting on the Watergate Steps, Holden and Holliday listen to the concert, bobbing up and down in a wood-canvas canoe and they are surrounded by dozens of other folks in wood-canvas canoes. You wood-canvas officiandos could probably identify the models and manufacturers if you rent the movie.

I've lived just outside and worked inside of DC for 23 years now but had never heard of these concerts down at the Watergate Steps so I decided to find out if this was mere Hollywood make-believe or if it was a real thing. Turns out the concerts and the canoeists were indeed real.

According to the National Park service, these concerts ran during the summer from 1935 until 1965. The concerts were cancelled only because the noise from jet planes flying into National Airport overwhelmed the orchestra. If you've ever flown into National Airport, you know the airport is right on the Potomac and the flight path comes straight down the river and over this location. While the concerts are a thing of the past, this is still a great location to watch the 4th of July fireworks from a canoe, as I can personally attest.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a still photo of Holden and Holliday in a canoe from that movie, but I did find several archival photos showing these concerts and canoes.

The first picture looks quite a bit like some of the scene-setting footage used in the movie, which I expect was actual footage instead of staged. But the close-up scenes of Holden and Holliday in their canoe surrounded by other canoes appear to have been taken in a studio tank, from above.

canoes%2Bband%2Bshell.jpg

The second picture is from the inaugural concert in 1935. I can see at least two canoes -- one is very dark but just below the powerboat at the far right of the photo. The other is very near shore between the boat on the right and the barge.

9fbf04a3328deee88dac78cbe1a23080.jpg

Last edited:
“I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes.

In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia. Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.”

Charles Lindbergh

Alsg already posted a picture of my favorite actress of all time, since about 1956 continuously to date, so I can't help posting some more of The Great Kate.

Here is the poster for the movie:

On golden pond.jpg

Here is Kate paddling her own canoe (with double dagger boards) in the salt marshes on her own estate in Fenwick, Connecticut:

Katherine Hepburn Fenwick CT.jpg

And I love her simple personal philosophy, which could be the mantra for many on this forum:

Katharine-Hepburn-As-one-goes-through-life.jpg

If you don't know the most famous child star ever, you probably never went to the movies in the 1930's. Everyone in the world liked, loved and was wowed by her.

Shirley Temple Ukele in Outrigger.jpg

Last edited:
Alsg already posted a picture of my favorite actress of all time, since about 1956 continuously to date, so I can't help posting some more of The Great Kate.

Here is the poster for the movie:

View attachment 130310

Here is Kate paddling her own canoe (with double dagger boards) in the salt marshes on her own estate in Fenwick, Connecticut:

View attachment 130311

And I love her simple personal philosophy, which could be the mantra for many on this forum:

View attachment 130312
Interesting that it seems to be the same canoe they used in the movie (see my prior post) and the one she is paddling in the salt marshes (with the addition of the dagger boards).

Calvin Coolidge became the 30th President of the United States in 1923. Here he is fly fishing from the bow of "Beaver Dick" on the Brule River, Wisconsin:

Calvin Coolidge in a Canoe.jpg

If you want to know what the white thing is behind him and why the canoe is called Beaver Dick, you should take a slug of crème brulée and read below:

Glenn,

I read the link you provided. Interesting. The joke about Mr. and Mrs. Coolidge touring the government-run chicken farm was indeed humerous.
Indeed.

Sort of my kind of guy. Didn't talk much. Would rather go canoeing than to work. Retired early so he could continue to go canoeing. Bummer, however, that he died at the young age of 60.

Back