• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

PIctures of celebrities in canoes

This 1934 date, with one of the best real life horsemen in film history, was probably less stressful than her relationship with the original King Kong.

TKkTkhE.jpg
Q56lawg.jpg

OK they're in a Rubber Raft but there's a single blade in the pic. We drove by the river in Oregon where they filmed this movie,.
meryl-streep-kevin-bacon-the-river-wild-1994-DT7224.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	meryl-streep-kevin-bacon-the-river-wild-1994-DT7224.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.8 KB ID:	114219

Last edited:
J. Henry Rushton, the godfather of American canoe builders, outside his Canton, New York, canoe factory with a Stella Maris canoe model in 1882. Rushton liked decks, sails, rudders and double bladed paddles, but not blue plastic barrels. So, 138 years later, he might be ineligible for some canoe websites.

TiSlCYF.jpg

The famous painter, illustrator and sculptor Frederic Remington (1861-1909) not only painted many famous pictures of canoes, as well as of the old West, he was apparently a paddler and lover of fine canoes who was adept with a double and single blade.

Here he is paddling a Rushton canoe in the St. Lawrence River circa 1903:

Tw1TCoL.jpg

And here he is with a highly rockered birch bark canoe at an unknown place and date:

NOKueaQ.jpg

In 2001, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jack Black pulled off a very rare flatwater ender. This maneuver cannot be done in a composite or wooden canoe.

NRC1Sia.jpg

No individual celebrity here, but collectively they were very, very famous on Broadway from 1907 to 1931. These are some of the Ziegfeld Follies girls of 1916. The one in the bow is "strumming" a beaver tail paddle.

snY18jB.jpg

A famous daughter, posing for legendary photographer Annie Leibovitz in a Louis Vuitton shoot, distracts the eye from a Cambodian swamp canoe.

L7VWiw6.jpg

Her equally famous father delivered a more focused visage while horsing a piggy Grumman for John Boorman.

lgCzYZH.jpg

Here's another famous Canadian.
FZWFUPq.jpg

A Canadian hint....The Tragically Hip wrote a song about him called Three Pistols.

Tom Thompson. I wonder why "3 Pistols"? The lyrics sure don't give the meaning away... "Pistoles" was a "coin" used in Fur-trade times, and the name of the Quebec town of "3 Pistoles" on the Saint Lawrence was named after an incident involving 3 coins getting tossed into the water. "Pistol", in the sense of "handgun", is/was "pistolet" in French, another thing altogether. I wonder what Gord was thinking when he wrote that song. Guns or money?

We have fake news, fake Indians, fake canoe special effects . . . and now . . . fake canoes.

Here is the cast of Deliverance in 2012 posing with "the" wooden canoe from the movie, which was owned by Burt Reynolds. In 2014 Reynolds sold "the" canoe at auction for $17, 920 (probably not to Robin, given that isn't a Chestnut).

CqmvodT.jpg

But look at that THING. It's so short (11.5'). And narrow. It has no seats. Did Burt Reynolds and Ned Beatty really run class 3-4 rapids in such a leprechaun hull? Did Old Town ever really make such a thing.

No.

As Murat and others have detected, the thing that Reynolds auctioned off was the ends of two different 16' Old Town Guide canoes spliced together.

This river don't go to Aintree.

Well...
the alleged reason is that Gord wrote the song while touring Quebec. The title is his notebook was the town they were passing through- Trois Pistoles, Quebec...
Ca va?

Another theory I read says that Thompson was obsessed with getting into the army to fight in Europe. He had tried to enlist three times, but was turned down, due to flat feet. Finally, he was given a quasi military position in Algonquin Park as a sort of conservation officer.

After his final rejection, Thomson was offered a position as an Algonquin Park ranger. Because of military enlistment, Thomson's friends, Mark Godin and Mark Robinson, were among the few remaining rangers in the park. Essentially a local police force, Thomson was pleased that if he couldn't fight overseas, he could at least take the place of a fighting ranger at home.
Had Thomson lived, he would have become, among his friends and in his area of the park, the "third pistol." This is a fitting coincidence. The song derives its name from a road sign for Trois-Pistoles, Quebec seen by Downie while touring. The other two pistols, Godin and Robinson, would eventually spend all their energies trying to uncover what really happened to their friend Tom on his final day.

Our band does a few Hip songs, might try this out if Covid ever lets us play again.

Thanks Mem.
I don't think I've ever heard that connection to the "other pistols".
That's the beauty and frustration with a lot of Downies work- there are so many angles of interpretation.

Thanks for sharing that.
Bruce

Thanks for the responses Pook and Mem. I like the role of coincidence. It's as good a reason as any for inspiring creative work. As a side note I'll bet that playing covers of Hip songs is pretty danged fun. Rock on! I mean ... paddle on!

Back