• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Photo of the day

This is the start of a 80k river trip above the arctic two weeks ago. We started at the source of the river at 11.30 pm. We were hunting a pack of pack-rafters who had started 6 hours before us.

At 4.30 am. we took to shore and made camp. It was a magical experience with lots of animals up and about. Saw many beavers, a big moose and a fearless otter playing at arms distance.

Attachments

• 20230617_002716.jpg
    20230617_002716.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230617_015502.jpg
    20230617_015502.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230621_101016.jpg
    20230621_101016.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 37
This is the start of a 80k river trip above the arctic two weeks ago. We started at the source of the river at 11.30 pm. We were hunting a pack of pack-rafters who had started 6 hours before us.

At 4.30 am. we took to shore and made camp. It was a magical experience with lots of animals up and about. Saw many beavers, a big moose and a fearless otter playing at arms distance.

Any luck with the packrafters? I've heard they're good eating, though maybe a bit lean.

Starting our trip by trying to catch up with a group that started 6 hours before us. Going over the big lake, listening for the little opening where the lake pours out and becomes the river. As the sun almost sets the temperature drops and the rapids starts steaming in the air just as the midnight sun starts rising at our back again. It was a bit surreal and very exciting. The fact that we were trying to catch up, looking through the mist for a sign of a camp. For some reason it made me think of the book The Lord of the Rings, when they are running for days, trying to catch a pack-of-orchs who have captured their friends.

We did catch them the day after and learned that they had made camp just 300 yards down from were we had.

The pack-rafters were a good gang. But just as you say, a bit lean perhaps. Mostly air inside those you know. One of them had even brought a bluetooth speaker with which he blasted out the overwhelmingly soothing sounds of the wilderness. We struck on with our wooden single blade paddles..

Last edited:
Wow, that's nice. Congratulations, a great canoe.
Thank you, Robin. It is a great canoe, and my first wood canvas one. Over the years, I have had the good fortune and pleasure to paddle many different aluminum, polyethylene, kevlar, and carbon fiber canoes. Paddling this Old Town Guide is intangibly different. It is so smooth, quiet, and aesthetically appealing. What a joy!
1688344992521.jpeg

The pack-rafters were a good gang. But just as you say, a bit lean perhaps. Mostly air inside those you know. One of them had even brought a bluetooth speaker with which he blasted out the overwhelmingly soothing sounds of the wilderness. We struck on with our wooden single blade paddles..
A good buddy of mine can't get in a packraft, canoe, or other watercraft without a bluetooth speaker, croquet set, and traveling cocktail bar. He'd rather take 10 newbies tripping than solo trip. He's a great guy, but it's a whole other style....

This is the start of a 80k river trip above the arctic two weeks ago.

Thestripper, what canoe are you paddling on the trip?

My first test paddle in my recently acquired 16' Old Town Guide.

I had a 16' Guide 40 years ago and wish I still had it now, not only for its looks but especially for its initial stability. Congrats.

I took my square stern canoe up to the North Maine Woods last week for 4 days.

Robin, three questions. Is that camper rig something you've recently gotten, as I don't think I've seen it before? How do you get it on and off the truck, as it must be very heavy? Do you have an outboard motor for the square stern?

Robin, three questions. Is that camper rig something you've recently gotten, as I don't think I've seen it before? How do you get it on and off the truck, as it must be very heavy? Do you have an outboard motor for the square stern?
I bought it last fall from a local guy and worked on it in my garage on and off this winter. It's now set up so I can sleep/cook/kick back in it with the top down, sorta stealth-like, or with the top up above the cab. The plan was for a road trip to Newfoundland this spring and a trip across Ontario in August. Still hoping for the Ontario trip, Newfoundland had a cold wet spring so I bailed out.
It has removable legs at each corner which crank up and down to lift it off the bed of the truck, and it weighs pretty close to the legal payload for my 3/4 ton truck, 1500 lbs.
I have a 2.5 hp Yamaha 4 stroke for the square stern, just right for my needs.

I bought it last fall from a local guy and worked on it in my garage on and off this winter. It's now set up so I can sleep/cook/kick back in it with the top down, sorta stealth-like, or with the top up above the cab. The plan was for a road trip to Newfoundland this spring and a trip across Ontario in August. Still hoping for the Ontario trip, Newfoundland had a cold wet spring so I bailed out.
It has removable legs at each corner which crank up and down to lift it off the bed of the truck, and it weighs pretty close to the legal payload for my 3/4 ton truck, 1500 lbs.
I have a 2.5 hp Yamaha 4 stroke for the square stern, just right for my needs.

Back