• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Panther to Snowtrekker Winter Tent

Reaction score
Hi,
Dont frequent this site much but a great friend got me into hot tenting years ago and am now looking to downsize to something I can load into a canoe…and mainly for one person…two at most. The Panther wall tent has been great but I like the lighter, smaller Snowtrekker short wall. Aside from Snowtrekker, are there other manufacturers worth looking at? I’m sure there are. What are you happy with?
Leads appreciated greatly. Thanks!
Btw…Panther Primitive wall tent for sale very soon.
Thanks again,
Chris

Many years ago when i was first getting into winter camping, the advise from all the experienced fellas was "take the pain once, buy the snowtrekker" in reference to the cost. After buying a couple of other canvas tents that seemed like bargains, and then selling them at a loss, I took the pain and bought the snow trekker. It is a quality product. I've got the shortwall 9.5 x 11, it might be too big for what you are looking for, but for two people with cots it is the perfect size.

I am lucky, Snowtrekker is located only like 6 hours away from me. As such, there are people around with various products I can talk to-see in use-to find what works for me. Like Memaquay said, I took the pain once and bought a Snowtrekker base camp ( older model now ). I have never canoe packed it, but have thought about it a lot. Mostly I used it as basecamp in my timber, left up from January through April for years. My dogs and I would hike to it multiple days a week.

I find it to be very well built and extremely tough, yet only 15 pounds of canvas . I have used it during freezing rain and temps at least 18 below F. I have often thought about sending it back to add a rear door and screens to use in summer, as well as order a custom tarp for it. I have had Panther lodges used for activities like extended deer hunts as well as period trekking events. For ease of set up, durability, pack ability and square foot to square foot livability the Snowtrekker is the clear winner.

I hope this is useful for you.

Bob.

In case you missed it, here is a thread about winter camping with some snow trekker info in it.

I have the Shakelton 8' X 8' removable floor model from Ellis Canvas Tents. I would not consider it a lightweight tent. The packed weight with the poles and stakes (minus the removable floor) is around 37 pounds. It packs down to the size of a medium duffle bag, approximately 14" X 12" X 35". I carried the tent, wood stove, and other gear for an 8-day hunt on Lows Lake in the Adirondacks in my 15' Novacraft Bob's Special with no problem. I love the design of the tent. On my Lows Lake hunt, it rained on 7 of the eight days I was there. The tent did not leak, and with the wood stove, I stayed warm and dry (except while hunting!). It also held up well in extremely strong winds that blew in with a cold front. I have not used it in the snow. Dave Ellis was great to work with during the purchasing process.

1698324415750.jpeg
1698324440617.jpeg
1698325092157.jpeg
1698324770114.jpeg
1698324928855.jpeg
1698325045094.jpeg
1698325151107.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought the short wall snowtrekker 8x10 a couple years ago with the standard sheet metal stove they sell. Although I've not done it, I think it would all fit in a solo canoe along with my other gear and food. The tent, along with poles and a couple heavy plastic floor tarps will fit into a standard army duffel bag. It might fit into the 55L dry bag I have. I wouldn't do any kind of portage trip with it though, at least not many portages. It's good for 2 people and a palace for 1.

I would never try to run the stove all night while sleeping, winter or shoulder season. Perhaps others have had success, but the small stove needs constant attention when it's cold outside to keep the stove putting out a consistent amount of heat.

I find it is on the edge of too much in terms of weight and bulk to use with my Mountainsmith Pulk on a winter ski trip unless I'm skiing on relatively flat ground or on a packed snowmobile trail. Deep snow, tree wells, and steep terrain don't seem to be ideal for using a sled in the mountains. A sled is something we experimented with back in the 80's in the mountains and found it's generally a no-go. One other thing I hadn't considered when I got the hot tent was the time it takes to get wood. It really cuts into the skiing time. On the other hand, it's nice to have a warm place to hang out, dry your gear and cook food when it gets dark by 5pm. It's pretty rough during those short days zipped up in a sleeping bag for 10 hours or more.

Mark

Thank you guys for all the information. I had a feeling the reviews would be positive for the Snowtrekker. I checked out Ellis briefly and although they look like exceptional tents, I went ahead and ordered the ST Shortwall…9x11.5….mainly out of familiarity. As mentioned, my friend has the same tent and it’s great and I know what to expect. Was hoping to use it on a few fishing trips in the Adirondacks this November but I probably won’t have it until early December. Five to six weeks I was told. All good.
Beautiful set-up Simulium! I can’t wait to see how all the gear fits in my Mad River Freedom.

Simuliumvenustum,

Not to hijack this thread, but thank you for posting pics of your tent. I have heard great things about it and nearly purchased one before buying a 10 x12 wall tent. I now use that as my deer hunting, ”winter camp “ . It is up now and will be taken down in March or April . My snow trekker will be used now for “off my property“ excursions in late fall, winter.

Your Shackleton looks awesome!

Bob.

TheIndian,

Congratulations with your new purchase!!!! I hope it is everything you are looking for. Please consider reposting some pics of camp once you get it and are having tripping adventures, they would be well received!

Good on ya!

Bob.

@TheIndian - Enjoy your new purchase. Winter camping has its own appeal. While it might not be for everyone, it has a special place in my heart. Lots of beautiful high pressure weather, no bugs and certainly very few, if any, other people. The solitude can be overwhelming at times but it's worth experiencing in today's busy world. Enjoy your new shelter!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Went with the 9x11.5...standard 5" stove jack, mosquito window in back and an extra set of the metal pole unions (?) in addition to the updated orange plastic ones. I have my own stove pipe support that I used with the Panther - similar to Snow trekker's - so hopefully I can rig it the same way.

Good idea to go with the window in the back. I forgot that is something I wish I'd had done when I ordered mine. It would be nice to have a view out the back and the ability to vent the tent a little better when the stove gets too hot. Also a good idea if you plan to use the tent during warmer weather. I suppose I could send it in or have somebody around here do that. Making a mosquito net door for the front would be pretty easy given the design of the front door with that flap that goes all the way around. One could sew half a zipper or velcro to the inside of that flap and it would be out of the way. Good luck

Mark

If I were to buy a wall tent now, I would strongly consider a snow trekker. But I bought this Woods 10 x 12 about 10 years ago. It has served us well. We put it up in mid-October every year, right near the house, and leave it up all winter.

IMG_1349.jpeg

Two nights ago we cooked the main part of our dinner in the tent. Garlic wild meat sausages given to us by a family that we let hunt on our land. I wanted to show this image primarily to once again thank Sweeper, who gave us this cold handle frying pan last year. Looks like the lantern could use new batteries!

IMG_4939.jpeg

I have the Shakelton 8' X 8' removable floor model from Ellis Canvas Tents. I would not consider it a lightweight tent. The packed weight with the poles and stakes (minus the removable floor) is around 37 pounds. It packs down to the size of a medium duffle bag, approximately 14" X 12" X 35". I carried the tent, wood stove, and other gear for an 8-day hunt on Lows Lake in the Adirondacks in my 15' Novacraft Bob's Special with no problem. I love the design of the tent. On my Lows Lake hunt, it rained on 7 of the eight days I was there. The tent did not leak, and with the wood stove, I stayed warm and dry (except while hunting!). It also held up well in extremely strong winds that blew in with a cold front. I have not used it in the snow. Dave Ellis was great to work with during the purchasing process.

View attachment 137867
View attachment 137868
View attachment 137872
View attachment 137869
View attachment 137870
View attachment 137871
View attachment 137873
I like that tent, nice. sorry about the rain, it was an awful September/October.

Congrats TheIndian on your purchase. So what will you and your friend do now with two tents? I'm guessing you'll bring yours plus stove and he will bring the knishes and bagels? Oh wait, I'm the "friend" haha. Duelling tents this winter ADK baby! late time we went temps hit -26F. But the ADL LOJ has heated bathrooms! Happy for you.

Back