• Happy National Poultry Day! 🐔🦃🦆🍗

Jo-Mary Lakes, Maine - October 2020 Solo Trip Report

I wanted to explore the water levels at Lower Jo-Mary as well since I have not forgotten Bob Mills mentioning this potential run or portage, however, as you know Pemadumcook is rather large and winds seem to have a mind of their own making a crossing from the Northern end of the lake to the Southern end quite a chore. With wind having always been an issue during my paddling experience on Pemadumcook I just haven't managed to go over to White Horse Island and beyond to take a look-see! I think this is just something that needs to be done regardless of water level. If I remember correctly Bob Mills recommended a portage trail to the left of the bridge and then a carry down to Pemadumcook. Going on recall here, but I also remember the mention of an old delapidated cabin that might actually be on the short portage trail prior to the bridge.

This is what I found from BobMills on the stream connecting Lower Jo-Mary and Pemadumcook:

I was intent on looking at the outlet stream form Jo-Mary into Pemadumcook Lake. I wanted to see if the stream could be navigated or portaged. It was a rock garden and I could not see a portage around it.

There was another post that I can't find now about a guy who had gone from Pemadumcook into Lower and didn't mention any trouble.

I agree though; "I think this is just something that needs to be done regardless of water level."

Brasenia, a beautifully photographed and videoed trip report with very articulate and educational narration. I also admire your pluck tripping in such a low volume and low freeboard canoe on wind-prone Maine lakes -- a canoe that you've outfitted smartly.

Brasenia, a beautifully photographed and videoed trip report with very articulate and educational narration. I also admire your pluck tripping in such a low volume and low freeboard canoe on wind-prone Maine lakes -- a canoe that you've outfitted smartly.

Thanks, Glenn! It was a fun trip inspired, at least in part, by Bob Mills here on canoetripping.net! I'm enjoying this little Pack 12. It's my first purpose built solo canoe, and reminds me a lot of my kayaking days. It is daunting, however, to realize I'm not in our 17' tripper when the weather gets snotty! Pluck is one word for it.... ;-)

I posted the video for this trip if you are interested:

Just watched the video -- well done!

Those puddles over your left shoulder when you were on the west shore of the deadwater thinking of bivying must have been elbows of Cooper Brook, they're in the right place. Normally they would be connected of course. Just a crazy low water year, when I camped at "Bob's Caribbean Campsite" in August 2017 there was no open shore to explore, just the patch of sand.

Somebody needs to do the big Jo-Mary - Pemadumcook - Debsconeag trip and write it up. Extra credit for South Twin Lake and/or Nahmakanta. One could wander around for a week or 10 days easily.

Just watched the video -- well done!

Those puddles over your left shoulder when you were on the west shore of the deadwater thinking of bivying must have been elbows of Cooper Brook, they're in the right place. Normally they would be connected of course. Just a crazy low water year, when I camped at "Bob's Caribbean Campsite" in August 2017 there was no open shore to explore, just the patch of sand.

Somebody needs to do the big Jo-Mary - Pemadumcook - Debsconeag trip and write it up. Extra credit for South Twin Lake and/or Nahmakanta. One could wander around for a week or 10 days easily.

I was expecting low water, but, yes, it was CRAZY low. Thanks for the nice comment about the video.

The Jo-Mary - Pemadumcook - Debsconeag lollipop trip is on my radar for next season. I was really excited about also doing the old route into Third and then Fourth Debsconeag and then over to Nahmakanta and back to Pemadumcook via Nahmakanta Stream until I read someone else's trip report here...lol. It would have to be early season to insure it isn't a hiking trip with a canoe. :)

Fantastic Brasenia! This area was mentioned to me last year and again this year. Your TR and video was amazing and eye opening. I wonder how the levels are there now? I posted a possible trip for there in about 3 weeks from now.
Sorry I didn’t catch this TR back when you posted it. Did your friend get to publish his sailing book?

Back