• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Paddles and planes

Reaction score
I have a trip coming up where I'll be using commercial (both international and local) aircraft to access. I'm concerned about how to manage paddles--I'll be taking a straight wood and a carbon bentshaft. I doubt a conventional paddle bag (e.g. Wenonah) would protect them adequately--especially the bent shaft. Prior to TSA/9-11, people used to be able to take such items on board and the crew would put items in a closet by the entrance, but I haven't noticed that for a while, and haven't seen anything like paddles go through screening. What experiences flying with paddles has anyone had? A hard case is not an option, as we'll have to take everything with us for the trip (6 weeks, and lots of portages), and fly out at the end.

Can you ship them by UPS or something just before the trip. Then ship them home when you are done. Assuming someone can receive them.
Jim

I've checked paddles in as luggage in a ski bag, but that was when luggage was free. I also have wondered if you can still carry them on. You will probably have to call your airline to find out. Let us know what you find out.

It varies so much by airline.. For $145 I can fly my canoe to Iceland on Icelandair.. Paddles have to go separately but are transported checked in.
I don't think you'd find that rate domestically

Hi,

Having just tried to take paddles on as carry on last month I can confirm that Air Canada insists they are checked in as luggage- like skis, golf clubs etc.- and you may pay a fee, depending upon your luggage allowance

Bruce.

I have both shipped paddles and taken them as checked "bags". I paid a packing supply store to do the packaging when I shipped them; they did a great job and that way insurance covers them. I reused the same package to ship them back, stored at a friend's house while I was on the road. If you don't have a handy friend, a hotel or an outfitter might store the packaging for you. For the flying, I believe if you peruse the detailed requirements, there are exceptions for "sporting equipment" in terms of the size to put into checked luggage. Some sporting equipment can be carried on, but the paddles exceed the length of any place they can put the paddles in safely.

Thanks all. Looks like shipping is the best option. I'll even have to ship the empty container to the take out, as we won't be coming back to our put in.

you could put them in one of those indestructible gun cases people use to bring rifles and check it

Back