• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Northwest Passage Solo

Didn't fill the weave = couldn't wait.

Btw the staple hole basically disappeared.

Alan, the wood was 3/16 up to the bilge and a little lighter to the gunwale.

Are you going to try to keep the weight low? You have a great head start...
I particularly like your "cheater" strips, gives the strips a nice look.

I'm not too worried about the weight, but I'd like to keep it around 40# or so which i think should be pretty easy. The last boat I built I think is a little too light and in the back of my head I'm always worried that I'll break it when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. This one should be a little more robust. It's amazing how the rounder hull and the tumblehome really help to make the boat stiffer.

thanks for the positive comments everyone.

I'm looking forward to seeing your boat on the water and hearing your thoughts. Before I built my Kite last year, the passage solo was the other boat I had in mind. Nice work!

No Title

Attachments

• photo5603.jpg
    photo5603.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5604.jpg
    photo5604.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5605.jpg
    photo5605.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5606.jpg
    photo5606.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 2
That insert looks AWESOME !

​ Sanding ? Anything ! I said Anything you can do to make it less dusty, is a Go in my book !

Jim

Nothing too major to report, I've finished sanding inside the hull and put in a fillet in the stems. Now it's time to fiberglass the inside, unfortunately I' out of epoxy which leads me to my first question. Jim, I read in one of your posts that you use RAKA I like their prices so I was thinking about giving them a try. What flavor do you use? do you use the no blush hardener?

Now I need to think about decks and gunwales. I'm thinking more traditional on this build, scuppered on the inner, oiled and varnished. Opiinons? about how big of a cross section? I think the decks will be about a foot long with maybe a combing. I think the seat will be mounted on the floor possibly on a slide like Alan does. Anyways, feel free to comment thought/inspiration is welcome.

David

Hi David

​ I use RAKA's 127 marine resin, and their 350 Non-blush hardener. I've also used their UV inhibited. Jury is still out on the UV inhibited. I'm using it on my CF Nokomis. So time will tell.

​ Nothing against Alan's sliders, but you have a traditional looking hull. I'd hang my wood frame seat from the gunnel. That's just me !

​ Yeah I'm getting caught up a little, Mike McCrea inspired me to clean my shop up ! It is better, at least workable. :eek:

Jim

Killing me waitin for more epoxy to get here. I ordered a gallon and a half from aeromarine 300 reading with 21 hardener. I like that it's thinner than most I've used, makes wetout really easy.

With little epoxy I had left I finished up a paddle and laminated some strip panels to make float tanks.

I guess I can clean up my shop. Ugh. Maybe I'll make one of those balance beam scales for epoxy ratios instead.

I guess I can clean up my shop. Ugh. Maybe I'll make one of those balance beam scales for epoxy ratios instead.

Anything to avoid cleaning shop. I usually don't have to look very hard for something to divert my attention.

I hate waiting for supplies.

Alan

Dave will be interested to hear how RAKA's , and aeromarine's epoxy compare !

Jim

I made a simple balance bean to mix my epoxy at the correct ratio by wt. here's some pics.

No Title

Attachments

• photo5635.jpg
    photo5635.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5636.jpg
    photo5636.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5637.jpg
    photo5637.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5638.jpg
    photo5638.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 3
No Title

Attachments

• photo5673.jpg
    photo5673.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5674.jpg
    photo5674.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5675.jpg
    photo5675.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 2
Jim. I ended up with aeromarine epoxy. Price is the same and I reallly like that it's so thin.

No Title

A second layer of 6oz is about to go on. I'm doing it a little differently this time, I marked the perimeter with two layers of tape. I plan on cutting to the tape with a razor after I wet out, hopefully that will keep everything meet and minimize stray fiberglass strands.

Attachments

• photo5676.jpg
    photo5676.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 3
No Title

Second layer all wet out, went well some small bubbles that I couldn't get out though. Going to wait an hour or two and roll on another coat to fill the weave.

Attachments

• photo5677.jpg
    photo5677.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5678.jpg
    photo5678.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 2
That is one foxy looking boat. The compass design on the bottom really pops, not only from the dark wood on the hull but the contrasting dark wood in the design. How did the tape trick work out? The results look good. Why not bury the partial layer under the full layer?

Alan

I agree with Alan, Nice looking ! Anxious to see your choice of trim !

​ I also agree, on burying the extra layer, but when you are done, no one will know the difference.

Inspiring Dave ! You will need to send some pics to Dennis at NW Canoe.

Jim

Back