• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Northwest Passage Solo

That's a good price on the cloth !
​ Keep us up to date ! It sure looks SWEET !

Jim

Last edited:
Wow. Ordered fiberglass Monday at 12:30, it arrived today. I ordered some six oz since he had a short roll available. Gotta say great service and great price

Well not much progress on the canoe. Work and other projects keep getting in the way. I dohave one thing to report though, I picked up an 1940 Delta 14" bandsaw on Craigslist. Great shape, a little surface rust is all. Got a great deal $110!! Now i just need to cleanitup.

I just about finished fixing up the bandsaw. It's looking good but I destroyed the shop in the process!!

d108b828-940e-48c9-af3b-29ca57c77360.jpeg af19b029-0597-46de-a654-78d0f1726423.jpeg

Now I need to paint the top cover, rebuild the motor and clean the top. I love the cast iron belt guard,and the blade guide adjustment mechanisms, Delta did made some pretty awesome machines back in the 40's.

Well not much progress on the canoe. Work and other projects keep getting in the way. I dohave one thing to report though, I picked up an 1940 Delta 14" bandsaw on Craigslist. Great shape, a little surface rust is all. Got a great deal $110!! Now i just need to cleanitup.

​ Not quite a coincident, but I just bought a 12" Craftsman band saw, for $60. I couldn't pass it up at a local auction.

Nice looking Delta saw. I have the same one that I picked up at auction a few years ago. I sanded the rust off the table and put on new tires, bearings, and guides but otherwise haven't done anything to clean it up. It's a "one of these days" projects.

Alan

Well I had some pictures to share but very frustrated with google plus. So I guess you'll have to take my word for it that the bandsaw is finished and I finally got some fiberglass on the canoe. Looks great, maybe one day I'll relearn how to post pictures.

I've been using Photobucket. Outside of occasional glitches, and the unorganized method they store pics in the library, I like it.

​Looking forward to more pics though !

Jim

Here is a test with the final bandsaw picture. I rebuilt the motor, looks cool.

Attachments

• IMG_5072_zpsye5z6px1.jpg
    IMG_5072_zpsye5z6px1.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 2
How do you get photobucket to imbed photos. And the ads are ridiculous!!

Seems like using upload attachments is the easiest method. I used 3.7 oz cloth on the whole boat going to add 6of for the football. Amazing the difference the weave makes, I had used a lot of 3.2 oz tight weave in the past, this cloth was way easier to wet out. Lots more texture to fill though.

Attachments

• IMG_5189.JPG
    IMG_5189.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5192.JPG
    IMG_5192.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Jim, I'm using aeromarine 300 epoxy. Seems pretty good, a little thinner than the progressive polymers stuff I was using.

I just took it off the forms tonite 22.3# with a 4&6 oz layer on the outside. Still neeed to fill the weave.

That redwood looks fantastic! Weight doesn't look bad either. What thickness were your strips?
I think the 4oz+6oz. is a nice combination for most applications.

Alan

Just curious. Why didn't you fill the weave, before taking it off the forms?

Looks great !

Jim

Back