• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

No BWCA trip this spring

Sorry for the turn of bad luck, hope you're well enough for tripping soon.

To sort of move the marble a bit, how is Sylvania? I've been interested in a trip there but don't really know much about it.
It wouldn't be too far from my sisters place so it's climbing on my list of places to check out.

That's too bad. I was planning a spring trip but family matters will keep me at home. Hope this is just a small blip on the radar and you can get out on the trail soon.

I was planning a Aug. trip but my puppy isn't ready for it yet and I already have to kennel her for the Algonquin trip, I'd feel bad about doing it to her two times in pretty short order.... BWCA will still be there next year I guess.

It's a let down to cancel a trip, but 6 weeks from now puts you smack dab into summer; warmer nights (I hope), far fewer bugs (I hope) and more settled weather (I hope). But what I hope most of all Phil, is that you heal well and dip your paddle this summer, and many more thereafter.

I left for the BWCA early on the 2nd to take another solo loop trip on Basswood. As I drove and got closer to my destination I became uneasy about the trip. I couldn't put my finger on it but something just didn't seem right. I ended up camping in a camp ground and doing day trips instead. I have learned to follow my gut feeling from past experiences. I don't know what was going on but I just knew that I didn't want to be far from my truck for some unknown reason. I had a pleasant vacation and enjoyed the day trips. I do look forward to taking a Fall canoe trip though. Dave

Sorry to hear of your dog's troubles, Phil. I would do the same if it were my path. A fine lookin' pooch and I hope he gets more stable with the medical administration.

Phil,
We all have some health issues as we age. If you had to cancel your May trip,, plan another one as soon as possible. Sorry to hear about your dog issues. Get them corrected and take him out there. Do some day trips soon. Life is short so enjoy it. Do not dwell on the obstacles. Revel in the fact that you can still take your dog and go out there. The best way to keep in shape to go on trips is to go on trips.

Two friends flaked out on me this week on a June trip. We have been planning for 4 months. Oh well. Not my monkeys, not my circus.

Compared to many outdoor adventures like backpacking at 10,000 feet canoe tripping is relatively easy except for the portaging. Canoe country is pretty flat, low in elevation, and you can go at a slow pace. Find some younger people to haul your canoe or design trips where you can line your boat. Go slower and don't go as far, but never stop going unless you absolutely don't have a choice.

This sounds like last summer for me. Yes the vertigo is a really tricky thing to get used to. I have pretty much incorporated it into my life and dont notice much anymore. Other people do though...lol.
If you have had a stent or other artery work then it takes 6 -8 weeks for all the potential issues to settle out ...I assume they have you on Plavix or some similar drug.
I know exactly what you mean about the lack of energy hitting you like a ton of bricks. Very unsettling. It usually signals a power nap coming on, which as you say, is a little inconvenient if you are in the water rather than on it.
The advice to slow down and scale back is pretty spot on. Think "float trip". Dont let fear stop you from enjoying life though. I would rather burn out than fade away.

Christy

Best of luck to both of you in your continued good health. I too have A-fib but haven't had the issues you've mentioned so I feel incredibly fortunate. Knock wood, so far it hasn't effected my life in any noticeable way other than I now have to pop a couple of pills each morning; one is to keep my heart more regular since it can stop for up to 3 seconds at a time and the other is an aspirin to keep my blood from clotting up. So far, so good so I wish the same for you.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back