• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

BWCA Bear Proof Food Storage Rules Change

Gates of the Arctic NPP in Alaska required food storage canisters when we did the Noatak a few years ago (as well as lots of other NPs, usually for higher elevation areas where tree hangs are not an option). NPS has a free canister loan program in Kotzebue, and a metal barrel loan program in Bettles. For our 30 day trip, we had 5 Garcia bear canisters per person. They were a bit of a hassle (at 2.7 pounds x 5, that's an extra 13.5 pounds per person) but we had no portages. We did schlepp them up onto the tundra for camp though. I used them for years in Alaska, and they really take the edge off camping in grizzly country.

I’m sure it’s a necessary change. Just user numbers and population in the surrounding area dictate stronger regulations. I’m wondering about degrading water quality in the BWCA from utilization. Pit toilets are disgustingly full right at the water table. Someone was baiting the bears to his business near Ely a few years back. Regulations compound with growth as a necessity. Doesn’t bother me because it’s inevitable and in the interest of extending the viability of the resource.

Although only just one small region of the Adirondacks requires solid sided canister bear protection use by regulation, it is highly recommended for all regions. When I was an instructor training and certifying adult (over 18+) BSA high adventure trek leader guides, it was always an interesting, and often comical exercise for the first night then "leader of the day" being evaluated to organize and effect the best possible bear bag hang. First find the right tree with a good height branch at just the appropriate distance from camp. Not too far, not too close. Then throw a weight tied to the rope over the branch. Missed. oops, missed again. Lost the tied on rock, stick, boot, water bottle, whatever. Got the rope wedged in the crotch of the tree, find a long stick to get it free, Try again. and again, and again. Somebody else tries, with no better luck. Now it is getting dark. Jocks always try an overhand throw until they discover that underhand works best. But a week's worth of food is too heavy to drag over the branch. Try another method. Do you remember the two carabiner pulley method I showed you in class? Let’s try that. Now, can an educated bear see where you tied the rope? Finally, who forgot to put that last candy bar or toothpaste in the bag?

Is the Ursak certified?
No, not in the Adirondacks.
  • Bear-resistant canisters have passed rigorous testing with live bears.
  • Canisters are solid, non-pliable, and do not allow bears' claws or teeth to grip under any edges.
  • Canisters are usually made of a hard plastic, but metal or another material may also be used.
  • Non-rigid containers or sacks are not considered bear resistant

• Bear-resistant canisters have passed rigorous testing with live bears.
  • Canisters are solid, non-pliable, and do not allow bears' claws or teeth to grip under any edges.
  • Canisters are usually made of a hard plastic, but metal or another material may also be used.
  • Non-rigid containers or sacks are not considered bear resistant
Yes in BWCA. They refer to the IGBC guidelines, in which the Ursack is approved.

Although only just one small region of the Adirondacks requires solid sided canister bear protection use by regulation

To recapitulate, the requirement for solid, bear resistant canisters in the Adirondacks only applies to the overnight campers in the Eastern High Peaks Zone, which is a mountainous area frequented primarily by hikers and not canoeists.

Back