• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

BWCA trip

Reaction score
The end of next week I’m heading back to the BWCA and we have booked entry point #14 and have six days to meander around. Any suggestions I’d some place/thing not to miss?
Jim

It's been a few quite a few years since we entered at that entry point. It was a good one then. You need to see Devils cascade. We camped , at Con island, on Shell lake. Fishing was good in the Spring. Also fished the surrounding lakes. There lots of options from EP 14.

I'm planning to go up just before , The first of October.
Don't know where I'll go yet !

It would be fun to at least meet up with you !

What are you planning to paddle ?

Jim

Our entry date is the 25th but we will have the day before as a free day to do last minute stocking and a day paddle probably. My friend is driving from Idaho and my kids and I will be flying into Minneapolis so we will be renting canoes from Canoe Country Outfitters, Northstar boats most likely. All other gear we have, I even mailed my paddle out to Joe so he could bring it with him. We will be at the airport heading home on October 1.
Thanks for your suggestions Jim I’ll check out the map tomorrow.
Jim

I did a solo trip from that entry point a dozen years ago in mid September. I did a counter clockwise loop going east through Hustler, Oyster, Gebeonequet and winding up to Tacukmich. Then on around west then south through Eugene, Steep and down through Slim and on through Loon back to the put-in. I really liked Lynx Lake, Gebeonequet and Tacukmich. I did a day trip out on to Lac La Croix, but I would avoid that now due to motorboats. There are also motor boats running through Loon. In all, route was a little less than 60 miles, but you could eliminate going out of the way to Tacukmich and reduce the distance by 12 miles or so. I had good fishing for smallmouth bass on most lakes and caught a few walleye in Lynx and Gebeonequet lakes. I liked the campsite on Thumb Lake, the only one, that was never used because it barely had a place for one solo tent. The fire grate and seating was perfect for one person. Watch for the few huge White Pine on some of those portages. I would do that route again.

Mark

Thanks for the info, I’ll share with the group when we all get together on Friday.
I’ve been watching the weather Bill and am aware of the recent frost warnings, not to worry we are prepared.
I’m heading to the airport in a couple hours.
Jim

Back