• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

New Rhode Island Law Makes Wearing PFD Mandatory for All

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Rhode Island is only the second state currently requiring persons, in an all-encompassing range of paddlecraft, to be wearing a life jacket at all times, regardless of age. New Mexico was the first. A few additional states, including Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts, have seasonal laws for all paddlers to be wearing a PFD during the colder months. It should be noted, in every U.S. state, children are required to wear a PFD while paddling, and in the vast majority of states that age consideration is 13 and under."

I was out paddling on a local lake this morning in Ohio and saw a number of people including young children on boats of various sorts not wearing PFDs. Most were rentals from the county park service that controls the lake - sit on tops, kayaks, SUPs, pedal boats. I was trained by my Red Cross water safety instructors 60 years ago to always wear mine. I especially wanted to call out the dad out with his young daughter on a pedal boat.

I was doing boat inspections for invasive species at the ramp near me. A truck with a boat on a trailer came speeding down the street. Braked and I noticed there were three kids IN THE BOAT with one adult. The boat was NOT hooked to the winch; the driver backed down the ramp and launched the boat by braking hard after the boat was in the water.
No one was wearing a PFD( and kids have to wear one under Maine Law)

Sad to say a Warden was not on the lake.

July 4 is the day of nutjobs on the water. The morning was still and aside from this yahoo all the other folk launching were kayaking or fishing or both My shift was done at noon and haven't paid attention this pm.

Fishing kayaks look kinda fun. If you have a dock and don't have to lug it

The all or nothing thing with PFD's is starting to really annoy me! "Always" wear a PFD is part of the reason people don't wear a PFD. There are many good reason to wear a PFD and I usually do wear one but I choose when to and when not to. The place I paddle the most from June-September the water is warm, slow moving and maybe there is one hole too deep to stand over many miles of river. I am a very experience swimmer and paddler. In the scenario described I don't wear my PFD. If the air is cold, water is cold or the water is fast flowing or waves are of moderate size I have my PFD on. If I am in a group situation where required or I am attempting to get a less experience swimmer or paddler to wear a PFD I wear it. I think they are great tools but forcing someone to do something for a risk that is exceptionally remote seems ludicrous. Teach people why and when so they can accurately access their risk. I have had some good anecdotal experiences with fishermen and paddlers that were not wearing PFD's in sketchy situations where a discussion around when and why wearing a PFD is a good idea had success in that person wearing it in more situation becuase they understood the risk. It is hard to explain why to wear a PFD to someone on a hot day on warm water surrounded by other boats in benign situations.

What percentage of drowning victims are good swimmers, sober, older then 21, and in warm , shallow relatively benign water?

The U.S. Coast Guard reported 658 boating-related deaths in 2021—81% died by drowning, and 83% of these people were not wearing life jackets. So for 2021 443 people died boating in 2021 that were not wearing a PFD. (okay a few more probably died of exposure) How many were drunk, or under the age of 15 and or unable to swim? How many more people could we save by requiring all people over the age of 65 to wear a helmet?

The Adirondack 90 miler Canoe Classic race is celebrating its 40th race year this September. Two years ago (three if you count covid) the race management and directorship was acquired by the good folks at the Northern Forest Canoe Trail (NFCT), based in Vermont. Previously it was originally managed by a local community chamber of commerce, then a well known well liked outfitter took it over for the majority of the time until the recent acquisition. The outfitter ran a very safe race, with coordination, monitoring, and participation directly by local and the NY State Police Troopers, the NYSDEC Forest Rangers, and environmental police, an amateur radio club, local search and rescue teams, plus an army of DEC official and volunteer safety boats stationed within sight of everyone on the water, standby ambulances, official boat number counter stations, and anyone else you can think of. The director was also for many years involved with Boy Scouting and BSA guiding/training on wilderness lakes, which always has a mandatory PFD wearing policy at all times. Although in compliance with NY State law, every racing paddler needed to have a PFD within easy reach on board in every boat; the choice of wearing their PFD was usually optional with the individual. However, during times when the wind and waves are or were forecast to be high, a mandatory order was given for all to wear their PFD, not just encouraged.

I can remember times in the earlier years when the race route included a portion of a wide open broad windy lake (Raquette Lake), where those extremely tippy but fastest C2 "pro" canoes often capsized when paddling in the highest waves rounding close to a particularly windy point. Racers are obligated to stop and offer assistance to any paddler in trouble. But these capsizes were most often so close to shore that either someone was already rendering assistance, or the paddlers were already in process of physically climbing out on shore by the time I came paddling by. Because of those too frequent conditions at that location, the race route was changed to avoid that segment of the large windy lake. With most of the allowed 275 boats in the race fairly clustered together, unless you are the last boat (which is always followed by a chase safety motor boat), chances are someone will be coming along soon.

Now, with NFCT recently in charge of the 90 miler and other regional races, it is 100% mandatory for all to "Always" wear a PFD at all times when on the water. No doubt I assume as a result of their new insurance policy requirements.

Last edited:
True story. Was out with friends yesterday for an afternoon jaunt around the lake in a power boat, and as we near the end of our circuit I see a paddleboarder next to what looks like just the bow of a canoe sticking up out of the water, and two guys, a father and adult son, in pfds swimming next to it. We investigate, and it turns out the other end of the canoe had a motor on it and was about 14 ft underwater. And the father/son had already been in the water for 10 minutes struggling to bring the boat in before the paddleboarder found them, and 30 minutes before we found them. I asked the older guy if they were wearing the pfds before they went in, and he said yes, his wife insisted because over the last few days at least three people had drowned in NH. Good wife.

When deciding whether to wear a PFD, I think it's worth considering the aid you will or won't be able to provide to others during immersion too. Even a great swimmer can't provide much assistance to others without some buoyancy aid. Where I live, I see a lot of parents making sure their kids wear vests while forgoing their own, never having considered that they won't be able to help their kids very much if they're working hard just to keep their own head above water.

I live in Rhode Island and am pretty happy that this passed. It goes without saying that it was a controversial subject in the State, but it seems most folks...particularly the experienced paddling community and anyone with membership in local paddling groups...strongly support the measure. I had a moment of fame when I was quoted in the Providence Journal from one of my social media pages in support of the new law, where I made the point (as Pseudonym did above) that one's personal safety is not the only consideration...lack of a life jacket can significantly reduce your effectiveness in rendering aid to others, and those others may be your kids.

A somewhat relevant incident happened just this past weekend when one of a pair of kayakers flipped in a local pond and was having problems, even with assistance from the other paddler. A swimmer on a nearby beach swam out to them to assist them...but became exhausted before he reached them and went under. The kayakers eventually made it to shore without assistance (I suspect they had pfd's with them, but I don't know for sure), but the swimmer's body wasn't recovered until the next day.

The only time I have ever been on a river without a pfd was during a brutally hot July day as we were struggling poling and lining up a shallow Little Spencer Stream in Maine. It got to the point where the danger of hyperthermia exceeded the danger of drowning in 4 inches of water. When the water got deeper, the pfd went back on.

-rs

Last edited:
Years ago I took the Everglades National Park boat tour in Chokoloskee Bay. The guide, following I am certain are the guidelines, told us where all the life jackets were stored. But, he added on his own I’m sure, if the boat sinks, we will not need them. The boat will settle to the bottom in maximum 4 feet of water and we can walk back.

That’s not entirely true. There are passes with deeper water and the tides can create some fast moving water in the passes.

Many rivers in Florida are very shallow. Swamps actually. I can paddle all day in 12 inches of water. It can get hot as blazes. I do not wear a pfd in those situations.

Come to think of it, I’ve paddled some marshlands in the ADKs that weren’t much deeper. I do believe use should be dependent on the situation.

I wear mine a lot more than I used to, partially due to the recovery issue. I'm usually with dog, and had several experiences of defensive beavers or loons popping up very close to the boat to run us off. The dog goes berserk when this happens. We both swim fine but I started doing the math.... dog flips boat going after beaver, and I need to grab him, the boat, the paddles, any other accessories.... add a bit of wind to that equation.... now I mostly wear mine and the dog his. Exceptions are hot days in swamps and small, slow creeks where standing depth is never more than a few feet away. Hyperthermia is a consideration, especially for the dog.

Regarding state regs, in NYS pfds are required Nov 1 to May 1 on pleasure craft smaller than 21ft.

Warning! Stupid hurts and can cause death. I wear both. A helmet when riding any thing with a motor(except a tractor), and a life jacket on the water. Thats me! It makes sense, to me. But I dont want to paddle or ride around with any one telling me what I can and can't do. This should be commin sense.

Years ago I took the Everglades National Park boat tour in Chokoloskee Bay. The guide, following I am certain are the guidelines, told us where all the life jackets were stored. But, he added on his own I’m sure, if the boat sinks, we will not need them. The boat will settle to the bottom in maximum 4 feet of water and we can walk back.

That’s not entirely true. There are passes with deeper water and the tides can create some fast moving water in the passes.

Many rivers in Florida are very shallow. Swamps actually. I can paddle all day in 12 inches of water. It can get hot as blazes. I do not wear a pfd in those situations.

Come to think of it, I’ve paddled some marshlands in the ADKs that weren’t much deeper. I do believe use should be dependent on the situation.
Sounds like that guide had not actually tried this. Anyone who has walked in the goo in Chokoloskee would know you sink to your chest within one step . Then you can't move to take a second step. You get to wait for the tide to come in. Sure its only three feet but it could cover your mouth. Whitewater Bay is the only place I have been able to stand out of the boat to take a pee.
I don't wear mine in mangrove tunnels because I don't like when it snags on a branch and chokes me.

Clemecy your experience with the father and son is one of those stories where the lessons learned for those involved are many and long lasting. Many of the best lesson are learned with just enough of a butt kicking to make the important lessons stick.

Pseudonym Flotation can help but is surely not required. Reach, Throw, Row/paddle, Tow and Go. Entering the water should be the last resort. If I had a PFD and had to enter water for rescue I would feel safer using it to reach out to a distressed swimmer for them to grab instead of me wearing the PFD. There are many rescue techniques that are rarely taught these days for effectively rescuing distressed swimmers that does not entail having flotation. A number of years ago I taught lifeguard training to students that lived and played around the water every day. The students were all taught extensive methods of retrieving distressed swimmers with and with out equipment including various escapes because the reality was there could easily be a situation where a rescue buoy, PFD etc is not available.

billconner I don't agree that motorcycle helmet and PFD requirements are equal. I can be a better swimmer and make wise decisions on when and where I wear a PFD but a head injury is a whole different level. If you travel over a say 10 mph or where other vehicles may be traveling faster then 10 mph you enter an environment that necessitates a helmet. The head cannot be trained to take impacts with out sustaining damage. The risks are much higher too. I would consider seat belts and helmets analogues but not PFD. If someone has a 20 million dollar insurance policy for lifetime care for ones head injury then by all means go ahead and not wear a helmet.

Riverstrider Thanks for your input from someone actually from Rhode Island.

Tsuga8 Now New Yorks' PFD law appears much more logical. That time of year the water is always cold and a PFD should most likely be used.

What I would really like to see here in Michigan is swimming lessons for all Michiganders. Does anyone know of a State that requires swimming in K-12 schools?

I learned it this way: Preach, Reach, Throw, Row/paddle, Tow and Go. Preach being first thought to asist in subject self rescue if possible, to talk the subject out of trouble before attempting any necessary personal rescuer physical action.

to amplify on the PFD law in NY:
Any youth under the age of 12 on boats 65 feet or less in length must wear a securely fastened U.S. Coast Guard approved personal floatation device of appropriate size. It does not apply if the youth is in a full en- closed cabin.

Last edited:
billconner I don't agree that motorcycle helmet and PFD requirements are equal. I can be a better swimmer and make wise decisions on when and where I wear a PFD but a head injury is a whole different level. If you travel over a say 10 mph or where other vehicles may be traveling faster then 10 mph you enter an environment that necessitates a helmet. The head cannot be trained to take impacts with out sustaining damage. The risks are much higher too. I would consider seat belts and helmets analogues but not PFD. If someone has a 20 million dollar insurance policy for lifetime care for ones head injury then by all means go ahead and not wear a helmet.
I think you made my point - no law requiring helmets but a law requiring pfds.

And I did not say they were equal. I said analogous - comparable in certain respects - like each having their strong pro and con constituencies.

I don't always wear my pfd so I wouldn't be happy with the law. I think I would most likely comply on public water with people around but in a remote spot with no one around I would do as I please.

In the heat of the summer on my private lake I probably wouldn't comply, also I don't wear one on a paddleboard. I use a leash on a board and feel that the board itself is my pfd.

I don't know what the regs in Hawaii are but they must be pretty lax because no one wears them. You would think that being in unstable boats that frequently flip over in turbulent water would require one.

I don't know what the regs in Hawaii are but they must be pretty lax because no one wears them. You would think that being in unstable boats that frequently flip over in turbulent water would require one.

Outrigger canoe and surfski paddler don't wear them out in the open ocean because they do the same as you with your paddleboard: They ankle leash themselves to the boat, which is their "PFD". These boats also self drain when upright and moving. Outriggers, with their double hulls and connecting iakos, are easy to flip over and climb back on. I'm not sure how easy it is to climb back onto a surfski.

I always wear my PFD on my outrigger with the same exceptions as my other canoes: really hot weather in shallow water.

Back