• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Two tales of bad news bears in camp

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
". . . when it comes to bears, keeping a safe and respectful distance away is better for all involved. Unfortunately, drawn by food or familiarity, the bears themselves may have a different plan."

Dealt with a problem bear years ago in the Adirondacks. We'd be warned a couple of days before that we might have company so I wasn't surprised when it arrived. Since it was only 4 PM, and May, we had a lot of light left to the day so after corralling the group, I sent them off down the trail while I stayed behind to keep it occupied. A half hour later, I grabbed the food bag (thankfully they'd already been hung) and hot footed it out of there. We camped about 3 miles further down the trail and had a trouble free evening; thankfully.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

As an Ursack user, I would have been interested as to how the bear got it off the tree in the French River incident. I suspect it was not tied on with the proper kind of knot or the bear was actually able to snap the tree or branch.

Lots of bear encounters over the years. Read the signs. Avoid camp sites with bear sign. Hang your food. Keep camp clean of course. I have had dogs alert me to bears plenty of times and chase them out of camp. Going in a group really helps. I carry firearms as a habit, but would only use them as a last resort. Sometimes a warning shot makes a strong impression.

Habituated bears are hard to get rid of. Some black bears are predatory, but it is a small percentage. People that don't recognize black bears as a threat usually have limited experience. Working in Alaska it was the black bears that followed us around sometimes. Most had probably never seen humans before.

Both groups in that story failed to heed tip #1

1693598503786.png

French River and Algonquin, both have an endless supply of sloppy campers providing a buffet of enticements for Ursus americanus. That said the drive to get to either area is MUCH more dangerous.

A 10mm, with bear loads, in well trained hands would help solve these problems.
Not in the places mentioned in the article! For one handguns are prohibited without the proper permits in Canada, and moving a handgun requires a separate permit (Authorization to Transport) except when taking it to or from a sanctioned gun range to home and vs versa- "Authorizations to Transport from the provincial or territorial Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) in order to transport a restricted or prohibited firearm to any place other than to an approved shooting club or shooting range within the owner's province of residence, or to the firearm's place of storage after purchase, You also need to obtain an Authorization to Transport from the provincial or territorial Chief Firearms Officer if you own a restricted or prohibited firearm and are moving to a new address if you are transporting a restricted or prohibited firearm within Canada."
also; to bring any firearm into Canada itself requires a "Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (PDF, 643 KB)"

Not to mention that other than during hunting season in a very few few parks NO firearms of any kind are strictly prohibited in Ontario Provincial Parks and that it's illegal to use a handgun to hunt.

Both groups in that story failed to heed tip #1

View attachment 137042

French River and Algonquin, both have an endless supply of sloppy campers providing a buffet of enticements for Ursus americanus. That said the drive to get to either area is MUCH more dangerous.
Yup, been going to both for over 60 years, and both have areas I won't even consider sleeping in.
but there are far more fatalities and accidents in a year on the #400 /401 highways than bear attacks at either park in their history...

Not in the places mentioned in the article! For one handguns are prohibited without the proper permits in Canada, and moving a handgun requires a separate permit (Authorization to Transport) except when taking it to or from a sanctioned gun range to home and vs versa- "Authorizations to Transport from the provincial or territorial Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) in order to transport a restricted or prohibited firearm to any place other than to an approved shooting club or shooting range within the owner's province of residence, or to the firearm's place of storage after purchase, You also need to obtain an Authorization to Transport from the provincial or territorial Chief Firearms Officer if you own a restricted or prohibited firearm and are moving to a new address if you are transporting a restricted or prohibited firearm within Canada."
also; to bring any firearm into Canada itself requires a "Non-Resident Firearms Declaration (PDF, 643 KB)"
God bless the U.S.A.

NO firearms of any kind are strictly prohibited in Ontario Provincial Parks
Does that mean we can use any kind of firearm if none are prohibited?

All non-maintained waterway parks up here allow hunting, and the carry of non-restricted firearms for wilderness protection out of season. Of course, depending on which CO stops you, you might have to do some convincing that you are not in fact hunting out of season.

But that is pretty much not necessary up here, as the routes we travel do not have habituated bears. I have had many, many bear encounters, and only one or two have been a bit sketchy, and with the application of a bear banger, the problem was solved. Or a big white cat.

However, in our town right now, we are over run with bears. The blueberry crop was a failure this year, and they are very hungry. The bears are roaming the streets freely, at all times of day, and none of the government agencies want to take any responsibility for it. The bears have become immune to bear bangers and airhorns, and they are completely unafraid. However, if left alone to plunder garbage cans and rip your garage doors off, they are essentially harmless.

They are certainly less concern than the nightly rounds by meth heads who actually break into your garage and steal chainsaws and stuff, whereas Mr. and Mrs. bear just drag your garbage over to your neighbour's lawn and dine under the soft glow of their porch night light.

When it comes to wild animals I believe in live and let live UNTIL their damage costs me time/money or endangers my health/safety. Then I believe it's time to eliminate the problem as it's not going to get better. I do secure trash cans, etc to cut down on issues but some animals won't take no for an answer. Then we need to deal with more extreme solutions.

Good luck in your situation Memaquay - I hope no people are injured or killed dealing with starving bears on their property.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/black-bear-kills-woman-camper-north-of-chapleau-ont-1.55628 We were probably staying at this remote site on Little Missinaibi a few weeks before the story came out. After that I heard from the locals yes this is the general area where trapped problem bears in more populated areas are hauled to and set free. Who knew? And after years of camping in the UP Mich. I learned again through word of mouth I was exactly in such an area. It explained some of the habituated and aggressive bears we encountered over the years. Another situation is the starving wounded bear left over from bear hunting season. For a mile we walked out of the woods backwards facing that bear. It was small and easily intimidated, due to starvation and a mangled front leg.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canoeist-stabs-bear-to-death-in-ontario-1.596038
Have often weighed the downside and upside of canine companionship on trips. Not sure I would do this for my dogs, although did start carrying a big knife for awhile.

Maybe when school resumes Mem can put the kids to work in the shop upscaling this fun project. Stands to reason that if he can make this problem solver handle problem bears it ought to be able to handle problem people too. Can't wait for the video results Memequay.

Last edited:
Back