• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

2023 Yukon River Quest Race Results

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"With 44 out of 54 teams crossing the finish line in Dawson City, the 2023 edition of the Yukon River Quest has officially come to an end. This was the first time in the race’s 23-year history it ran in July; teams normally paddle the 715-kilometer route from Whitehorse to Dawson City in the middle of June."

Two of my previous Yukon team paddling partners, one from NY state, the other from Belgium, finished in first place in the C4 canoe category :giggle:
Wish I was there with them this year, but odd things, like my 50th wedding anniversary party with my wife (and usual pit-crew) that my son and daughter planned for over a year, had something to do with needing to stay at home.

The other Yukon River race is the 1000 mile, which I raced with great success in 2009 (the first one ever), and agiain in 2011. I raced the 440 mile YRQ in 2008, 2013, and 2017. I must say that I much prefer the Y1K 1000 mile to the YRQ 440 mile Quest for several reasons.

Hard to imagine doing the Y1K again now, as the entry fee was then $250(CDN) per paddler both years that I raced it. Now it is $2250 per paddler to race in the Y1K! I do not understandy why. The winning purse is not published now, but in early years if you did well it was enough to cover most costs. When I raced it, I figured cost for the race, including travel with transport of canoe and team gear including a weelk+ of race food, several pre-race days of localized Yukon training with lodging and food, transport of canoe from NY State, a couple of days of touring post race, and return home, Don't forget about pit crew family as well. Total cost comes out to at least $5,000. Now add well over more than $2000 to that at today's rates.

Back