• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

My first stripper in progress

Mac,
Sure looks nice on the water, quite a head trip, isn't it? Looks to be trimmed out nicely too, did you have any added ballast in those photos?
It is a speedy hull, I know a few guys that have built that design. Did you notice any stern hook? Or did you not have a quartering tailwind yet?
You kept the weight down too!

Soooo, are you hooked? When's the next build?

Thank you all. Dogbrain, yes it is similar to the Winona Prism, six inches shorter but investigation indicates very similar features including no rocker and thus great tracking. Stripperguy, nothing in the canoe, just Sadie and me. Stern hook, this reminds me of my youth and an at times aggressive older brother! I am not familiar with the term, please expand on the idea. I did have some great tailwinds yesterday and absolutely flew down the lake. My mind drifted to the "what if" had I been using a sail. What is the correction for this malady? Yes, I am investigating a tandem build next winter. My industry association has a philanthropic foundation and I think I'll make something nice for the raffle. Having just learned that a new affiliate member also owns a lumber yard, I may be able to partner on the opportunity with free materials and my labor.

My first trip is to the BWCA in ten days and I am getting pumped up. The itinerary is very loose with a wide variety of adventuring.

Something I am not looking forward to...applying the awful registration stickers to the sides of the cane! At least I don't live in Iowa and have to suffer a long sentence of numbers. Such a shame to require the obnoxious graffiti on a classic design that doesn't have the ability to "escape" the conservation officer should the need for an inspection arise.

Kind Regards,
Mac

Mac,
Stern hook is the tendency for a hull to try to align itself with rollers when a tailwind is not quite straight over the stern.
A susceptible hull will twist out from under you, especially with a quartering tailwind. The effect ranges from tiring to irritating to dangerous, depending on size of the water body, exposure, and size of the rollers.

The stripped DY Special that I built was severely affected. All of the contributing factors were there:
Virtually zero rocker, extremely sharp stems, 16'8" OAL...while these characteristics made for an extremely fast and solid tracking hull, but it was downright dangerous in the wrong situations.

The simple solution is to have more stern rocker, more stern displacement, and softer stems, not really an option once you're off the forms.
On the water, a ballast shift to make the hull stern heavy helps. Also, a change in course or seeking more protected water can work, but may not be an option if caught unaware on big water.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm sure you'll test out your boat in varying conditions before committing to a Lake Superior crossing...
That's part of the price we pay for a fast, solid racking solo canoe. I have never paddled a Merlin, but I have a few buddies that have built that hull, they never mentioned any handling quirks.

Too bad about the need to desecrate your hull with stick on graffiti, glad we don't have that regulation here in NYS.

Thanks SG,
Just got off the lake. A mirror this morning and nothing technical. However, I busted out my double blade for a little goofing around and was taken aback by the speeds I could attain. The narrower canoe also limited any significant water dropping. I enjoy both paddle styles depending on conditions. Also I often adjusted my seat position and am very happy with the enlarged butt area as I can change my trim on the fly making for a very noticeable difference in handling, and comfort. Dang, I sure am having fun.

If I where you I would be really pumped for that upcoming trip in that canoe, what a nice feeling that will be to explore the BWAC in something so nice that you have worked hard on and created. There are quite a few here who have shared that feeling, and it's worth every minute of sweat and determination that you put into the build.
I tip my paddle to you and all those who chimed in with this thread!

That looks fantastic, Jack! Glad to hear you were happy with it on the water and that the dog approved too. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes. Last time I checked the weather it looked pretty nice for next week. Hope it holds.

Alan

Jack: Did you make it back from your trip or did you decide to not return to civilization? How did the boat do?

Alan

Hello Alan and all,
Alas, work and other commitments including family reunions, volunteer watershed projects and another trip to the BW have tapped my "posting" time. Please accept my sincere apology, but life is busy and priorities change especially in the summer. That said, I have missed the forum and hope to carve some time for more discourse.

My first trip north could not have been a better inaugural voyage for The Canoe. She is super stable and runs true and straight, great for large lakes... not so much for rapid execution. A mighty fine ride just the same. Since my solo, I have been on the water many times playing around on the lake out front and St. Croix River down the road.

This new watercraft of mine has been a delight on and off the water. I can hardly wait for the snow to fly and begin my next project.

Mac
P5210259.JPG P5240427.JPG P5240498.JPG

It has been a while since visiting the canoetripping.net site and it is good to see all is well. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a bit of catching up to do on several great threads...isn't that what winter is for? Between building, family and work of course.
P9021127.jpg
In the last four months I have had many opportunities to enjoy my project. With conservatively 400 miles on the water plying the St. Croix River, two BWCA trips, one Quetico adventure and many, many exercise missions on the lakes near my home through rain and sun, wind and calm, I can say that this Merlin design has been a incredible companion and friendly watercraft. With the exception of an incident where a powerboat intentionally accelerated about fifteen feet in front on me, creating a three to four foot (so it seemed) bow burying trough through which I did take on water, the canoe has been exceptionally stable compared to any boat I have paddled. During no time of my trekking this season have I felt ill at ease about getting onto the water, even during some pretty windy and white capped events.

As I travel lakes more frequently than rivers, the zero rocker design tracks very nicely but does cause added paddle work in tight areas.
P9061374.jpg
The finish has held up well, and although my older brother pointed out numerous flaws, the project has turned heads and that is fun. Of course I play the "shoulda, coulda" game and will employ a few different techniques on future building projects. The over sized seat, thanks Jim, has allowed me to shift my weight and maintain nice trim in most conditions and with a variety of gear. One surprise that I have encountered was the quick wear of the bow stem section although I am extremely careful about running aground. Even with three layers of 6 oz glass I have worn through to the cedar strips. I am considering a stem band to limit this wear and tear.

Suggestions on a subtle "fix" would be greatly appreciated. The thought of a giant "felt" pad/guard is NOT appealing.

Looking at my boat stable, and fully appreciating my wife doesn't need another canoe(!), I am leaning toward a different project this winter. Over the Fourth of July weekend I had the opportunity to do the stand up paddle board thing. Historically I had considered this means of water transportation to be rather unappealing and how shall I say it, wimpy. This new form of exercise is the real deal for me and I worked muscles never used while sitting on my keister. Balance, lower body work out, concentration and mental stimulation added up to great fun. After an hour of intense stroking and an incredible workout, I am sold that a SUP will be my next project.
PA131675.jpg
Of course the SUP project is really a ploy to learn some new skills, kerfing and pretty designs, while creating toys for my kids and grand daughter to use at my house. My wife is on-board too, pardon the pun, as she sees exercise benefits of the SUP.

If anyone has suggestions about this type of build, web sites, forums etc, I would be grateful for your insights.

Thanks. It is with great anticipation that I spend some more quality time on this forum and building another watercraft.

Great to see the boat being enjoyed and put to good use.

Even with three layers of 6 oz glass I have worn through to the cedar strips. I am considering a stem band to limit this wear and tear. Suggestions on a subtle "fix" would be greatly appreciated. The thought of a giant "felt" pad/guard is NOT appealing.

You built stemless, right? If so I don't know if a stem band would work. Might be too pointy at the tips and what would the screws grab?

I've been happy with S-glass and dynel for skid plates. Not obtrusive like thick felt and not has heavy either. Pretty easy to apply. Dynel isn't a very attractive cloth so you might want to paint over it.

Mike and Pete's tutorial:

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...scussions/diy/17299-​skid-plates-an-evolution

Alan

Glad you are putting the Merlin to the test !

Stems have always been an issue, and there are a ton of options. S-glass layers, would be near invisible.

Here's another, I'm using.

Polyester fleece (sweat shirt material). Actually introduced to me by the former owner of North West Canoe, Al Gustavson.
​ It adds bulk, that takes longer to wear through, than just E-glass.
So far I've used it on just one boat, and have not really hard core tested it .

What is different than Kevlar felt and Polyester fleece ?
​ You can sand poly smooth, and match colors to your hull. Brown would blend great. Can be removed much easier than Kevlar.

I'll be using black fleece on my CF Nokomis.
​ Here's a couple of pics of my polyester application.
IMG_0969_zpsvvds4fj4.jpg
IMG_0941_zpsuomvdl9a.jpg

Good luck !

​ It's always a pleasure to Hang with Builders ! We need to meet up again at Mid West's Spring event !

Jim

Great to see that you're getting good use out of your build. When I first started paddling my own strippers, the adulation was a head trip, eventually the novelty wears off, but it's always fun to talk boats with those that appreciate a good design. I can see from the photos that you must get many positive comments.

As far as stem wear, that's part of the price you pay for having little rocker and sharp stems. Dynel is still the most abrasive resistant cloth, Alan has become adept at mitigating its major flaw by using peel ply. Other than that, some pigment and/or paint will help. In the end it comes down to performance or aesthetics...you can't always have everything.

Can't speak about SUP designs, but that sort of hull would look pretty cool as a stripper.
If you're still looking for projects after that, you may want t consider a small sailboat. Something that you could fit the wife and others in too, to make such a project more palatable to your darling bride.

Mac-
The boat looks awesome, great work! I am going to be building a canoe this winter but have come from a few years of building surfboards and SUPs. There are a few ways to build either a planning board (looks like a surfboard) or a displacement hull (looks kind of like a kayak). I have built both out of wood and the displacement hull is a bit easier to build. Woodboardforum.com is a place like this but for wooden surfboards and some SUP designs. I usually get board patterns from others on the forum but if you are looking for a bit easier build woodsurfboardsupply.com has plans and even the internal structure to buy. Good luck with the project and let me know if you have questions or need help, may be able to answer them

Thanks guys,
I'll take a look at the materials you suggested Jim and Alan. The idea of slapping something unattractive, or noisy, on the bottom of the canoe does not sound appealing...however the wear will only continue. Hey Ben, that was the exact tip I am looking for. I went there for a visit last night and will be quite satisfied establishing a new building base. Of course I won't divorce my friends on this board as I acquired some exceptional, and free, Basswood stock, 3 inches thick by 2' x 8', and am planning on constructing a few paddles.
Never Better,
Mac

Nice work Mac, and way to get out there.

I don't want to talk you out of building an SUP but I suggest that you try paddling an open canoe while standing. I paddle both and enjoy how a canoe paddles way more than a board and only resort to a board when I want to surf or there is no canoe available. It is just as good of a workout and it is a three season activity as I enjoy it from ice out till freeze up. I would only take out the paddle board if I intended to get wet. In over 25 years of standing in a canoe I've never gotten wet, although I know my day might be coming.

Well lowangle, that is a pretty novel idea to me and something I will consider, no, something I will do, as a great work out opportunity. The SUPs were candy to get my adult kids and granddaughter to the lake on a more regular basis. As I cannot justify another canoe (yet), and I have "sold" my wife on a winter building project...I think I'm committed to the SUPs. Darn, another snowy season in the shop! But I really think the SUC is enticing as well. Thanks for the tip Al.
Mac

Back