• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

My first stripper in progress

Looks great. You're going to be on the water before you know it. Nice work

Alan

Great progress !
You are WAY ahead of me !

It was fun meeting you, even with the background noise of the auction !
It's always fun to meet up with in person with those you meet on the net !

I also met BWCA66, and had a great talk, and sold him plans and forms for a Voyaguer canoe.
Sounds like we are going to have a new canoe manufacturer in Minn. That is AWESOME !

Jim

Jim and Alan,

I too, had a great day and enjoyed meeting up at the auction and sharing ideas. No, not much sharing as I was the student! My wife Kim and I could not have had a better "date" including catching up with you, two friends from my Noatak adventure last year, watching my cousin Ted present on hiking the rim to rim to rim of the Grand Canyon with his daughter (32 hours with only 5 hours of break) and a terrific lunch at a chinese cafe.

Today I varnish my interior.

Welcome aboard Joe, you are going to get hooked and begin building your own boat sooner than you think.

Mac

Coats of varnish? I'm at that point with three applied and it looks pretty good. Also, how soon after the last coat can I get her wet?
IMG_4938.JPG

Mac,
I usually launch my boats while the varnish is still wet, I get that anxious!!
Seriously, a few days to a week, depending on your ambient conditions.
BTW, the boat looks great! Hard to believe it's a first time effort.
I went back and reread the entire thread a few minutes ago...I didn't see what you did (planned to do?) for the seat. Is there a seat? Or are you a kneeler?
Or are you waiting to paddle it before locating the paddling position? There is benefit to seeing how the boat trims out on the water.
And how about thwarts? Do you plan a portage thwart, removable or fixed? I may have trouble concentrating today, if I don't know the details. :D;)

I'd wait until the weekend, and no longer !

You could make a portage yoke that clamps to the gunnels. They look like they would work great, and you can adjust them fore and aft.

That first canoe is hard to wait to put it in the water !

It looks like it's worth the wait !! Nice job Jack !!!

"Stripperguy: I went back and reread the entire thread a few minutes ago...I didn't see what you did (planned to do?) for the seat. Is there a seat? Or are you a kneeler?
Or are you waiting to paddle it before locating the paddling position? There is benefit to seeing how the boat trims out on the water.
And how about thwarts? Do you plan a portage thwart, removable or fixed?"
I tried my best to emulate Jim's fantastic snowshoe lace seat and made a couple of errors so am starting over once I get the new lace in the mail. Too loose and not enough shrinkage. My seat is on the large size as I can appreciate the ease of shifting my weight to adjust trim rather than adjusting the whole seat. The thwarts are a very pretty cherry. And I have a removable yoke for transport.

I appreciate everyone's fine comments and am grateful that the magnification tool doesn't allow viewers to go in too deep!

​This weekend...maybe. my first grandchild is expected to show up any day now and that means my wife will be hauling me somewhere, but that is okay 'cause I'm looking forward to being Grandpa Jack.

Looking over your pic of your canoe, I think you are really going to like how it handles, as well as it's stability. Bruce Kunz's original Merlin, had a little less rocker in the stem, and a little more arch in the bottom.
I'm anxious to hear how it handles on the water !

Becoming a Grandpa, is one of the greatest joys in life !

Again, Nice build !!

Jim

Thank you all for your kind words. Last night I flipped her over and set the accessories inside as a teaser.

I have a bum shoulder, and I can't just lift my canoes into portaging position. There is something "going on" inside the joint, maybe IMG_4949.JPG
just bursitis or whatever, but there comes a point in my lift that my right arm rejects further movement above my head. Thus I need a suggestion to protect the stern deck/stem tip when I roll the canoe to place it upon my shoulders. I'd really like to find a brass or ss end cap. Is there such a thing on the market? What do others do to protect their tips?
Much appreciated,
Mac

Completed the project last night while we awaited word on our granddaughter. Olive Josephine arrived at 11:59 pm. Hopefully I can carve some time out of the busy day ahead to get on the water. Not that I have much to do, but my wife is pretty excited about the whole baby thing. We don't know how much Olive weighed in at but the canoe is an ounce over 40 pounds.
IMG_4966.JPG IMG_4970.JPG
Thanks for following my entries and all the help provided by this board.
Mac

IMG_7645.JPG WOW, an amazing christening with much, much grander results than I had ever anticipated. This canoe rocks. I cannot believe that I had any concerns regarding its performance. Tracks straight, handles a stiff breeze (even a few white caps today), is quite stable, fast and very easy to control. The maiden voyage was a delight and I never felt uncomfortable. Simply fantastic. Oh, and I guess it looks pretty good on the water too.
IMG_5052.JPG IMG_5036.JPG IMG_5033.JPG Although not out to the lake to watch the "big event", Dad wished me luck and as much enjoyment paddling the canoe as I had making it.IMG_7660.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7645.JPG
    IMG_7645.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7645.JPG
    IMG_7645.JPG
  • IMG_7645.JPG
    IMG_7645.JPG
Two Thumbs Up Jack !

Trim looks great, even with the pooch !

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done !

Jim

Back