• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Kite build

Reaction score
Christine has begun to build a new stripper and I shall share photos as I can. I may or may not be assisting with this build and she is no longer on this site.

She is tracing out forms on plywood, this whole build could take some time but since we have a couple hundred feet of snow thaw is a long way away.

Karin

Attachments

• Forms .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    Forms .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Forms .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    Forms .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 36
Making me want to build another canoe !
Keep it coming !

Jim

Forms are cut out but now the space is used for truck repair. Certain things need to be done before the strongback gets set up in the space and lives there awhile.

I built a stripped Kite back in 2014. Then a carbon copy a few years later.
I expected the “knuckle” to be challenging to strip, but it was waaay easy.
It’s a nice compromise hull, performing well on flat and whitewater, a very comfortable hull.
Looking forward to seeing yours, rather hers, progress.

A fillet might be in order, on the inside, of the so called Knuckle, or Shoulder as it's commonly termed.

I really see no advantage, other than it looks cool !

As far as I know, the Kite and the Osprey are the same canoe, but the Kite having the knuckle flattened out. Personally, I prefer the looks of the Osprey, but is there any mechanical advantage to the flattened knuckle?

As far as I know, the Kite and the Osprey are the same canoe, but the Kite having the knuckle flattened out. Personally, I prefer the looks of the Osprey, but is there any mechanical advantage to the flattened knuckle?
I thought I remember reading on the Greenval site that the only reason for Martin making the change was that he thought it looked better aesthetically. I suppose it adds some stiffening to the gunwale too but since that didn't seem to be a weak point it probably didn't matter.

Anyway, it's what all the cools kids do these days. Get with the times, boomer.

Alan

If a person uses a floor mounted seat ! There is little difference that I can see. If you hang the seats from the gunnels, and are say over 240# ? I'd add a little support to the shoulder.
Me ? I'd add some support. Just saying !:cool:

Yes on the fillet. It's in the instructions for building that type of tumblehome. I originally had a pedestal seat but changed to a hung seat cause I like to kneel half the time. I'm nowhere near 240#, but i can't see needing any extra reinforcement.

I have plans for both the Kite and the Osprey...Kite has the knuckle almost all the way to the stems, Osprey has the knuckle starting and ending a few forms in from each stem.
Per Martin's helpful build hints, you start stripping the Kite at the knuckle, and work down to the sheer, and then from the knuckle up to the keel line. It's surprisingly easy, and the strips lay in comfortably without major muscling.

So c'mon, get that truck fixed and out of the way!!

This is good information as the person using it will be over 240#. It is being built for a specific person. There is more going on that just the truck repair, the melt has begun and yard is flooding so water control is before canoe as well.

Attachments

• boat space .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    boat space .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 30
  • boat space .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    boat space .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 29
  • boat space .003 (1 of 1).jpg
    boat space .003 (1 of 1).jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Spring melt .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    Spring melt .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Spring melt .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    Spring melt .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Spring melt .003 (1 of 1).jpg
    Spring melt .003 (1 of 1).jpg
    259 KB · Views: 28
  • Spring melt .004 (1 of 1).jpg
    Spring melt .004 (1 of 1).jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Spring melt .005 (1 of 1).jpg
    Spring melt .005 (1 of 1).jpg
    282 KB · Views: 30
Alan, it got new plugs and one used coil.

The forms were sanded but there are two new projects before the strongback can be set up for the Summer.

One vintage Langford w/c canoe to finish and a trailer to finish. Trailer had AC unit added after repairing the roof structure and the end back was rotted out. Now Christine just needs to finish the wiring and interior reskin. The Langford was a complete rebuild started a couple years ago and canvassed last year maybe? Shop is messy

Attachments

• Other task .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    Other task .001 (1 of 1).jpg
    254 KB · Views: 25
  • Other task .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    Other task .002 (1 of 1).jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 24
You've obviously taken the advice to not hurry and enjoy the build to heart ... but it is looking good.

Brian
Not my build, that is up to Christine. She stays plenty busy being retired but with Winter already here the other jobs will dwindle.

Back