• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Just wanted to say hello

Pat

Reaction score
I started my first build recently. Started my strongback in February. I am building Gilpatrick's wabnaki. Other than his book and Canoecraft. I asked alot of questions on facebook under my wife's account. Jim Dobb directed me here and I gleaned a lot of info but have not posted so I thought I better thank everyone. I am at the stage of fairing the hull and while I made lots of booboos it still is looking like a canoe. I soon will be glassing it and I am really scared of that step. I used Jim Dobbs skill saw and router methods on my strips. That worked really well for me. Again I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for the help you didn't known you were giving me.C4A6CEE7-0D83-4E51-A636-D7AC5E831545.JPGADAA9375-5B8F-4266-89AC-249F9B2B3681.JPG

Looks great, Pat. Welcome.

I get worked up over glassing, too - not a big fan of working to a strict timetable. A number things that helped me
  • Thoroughly clean your work area before you start. Transform it from a wood shop to a finishing room.
  • Line your work areas/benches with craft paper
  • Lay out the equipment for the impending process - chip brushes, rollers, squeegees, gloves, etc
  • Wait for cool weather
  • Lay your glass over the hull well in advance - like overnight at least.
  • Don't forget to take a breath once in awhile
Would love to know what part of the world you're in - you can add that to your profile.

Welcome to site membership, Pat! I know many folks here will be interested in your build progress, and we look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Hello Pat and welcome. I built the Wabnaki a couple of years ago. My wife and I love how it looks and handles. I was very hesitant when it came to fiberglassing, I didn't handle it to well. But Jim Dodd, memaquay, alsg, Alan gage and others on here were a huge help and great support.
Looking forward to your progress. Take your time with it. Enjoy the build, you'll treasure it for years.
Roy

Staples are not driven deep into the wood ! Excellent !
Looks great !

Back