• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Jack's Special/ Chestnut Chum

Ha ha, was gonna wait till after the school trip to finish it, cause I'm running out of daylight. However, another kid had to back out today, so we are back to odd numbers. I put the inwales on tonight, hopefully tomorrow I will install the thwarts, decks and seat. It's gotta be ready for next monday, so I'm really rushing things, and my wood butchery is taking front stage. The old "Good-enough" philosophy is now strong with the chum!

Big fat inners, little skinny outers, no seat, no decks just grab thwarts...eh voila. One canoe. Now of course you could just take another boat but wheres the fun in that?

I sure like that profile, lean it over and let the wind be danged. Will make for some nice pictures on the Trips.

upright_zpsx49jv3ex.jpg

Looks just like a Chestnut Chum should look!

Last edited:
Wow, very similar lines indeed. Before i put the gunwales in last night, I used tie down straps to get the hull measurements bang on. If I get time tonight, I'll post a pic after I've put decks and trim in.

How will your finish have time to dry? I'm having one hellofa time here with my finish taking forever to set up.

Come on...spill the beans if you have a trick up your sleeve.

I'd do the varnish after the trip if drying time was going to be an issue.

Alan

Sheesh, I'm embarrassed to post pics of this one. All trim is in and seat except for outwales. Really rushing, and using things at hand that I'm making work, but look like crap.

Varnish....well, Hellman's dries really quick, usually within 4 hours if its warm out, On a good day, I can get three coats on. I'm hoping to get outwales on tomorrow and first coat of varnish. I'll probably just put three on so it will have the weekend to settle. Looks like first dip in water will be day one of the trip with the kids.

Only time I used epiphanes, or whatever it's called (50 bucks for a liter)it took about three days to dry too.

I'm sure it's fine. Things always look better when they're 5 feet away and somebody else's.

Become one with the wabi-sabi.

Alan

Mem, it's a working man's canoe that's going to earn it's pay. Although I'm sure it looks fine, you didn't build it for parades, you built it tough for hard use. Just post up the pics when you can and quit worrying about it. Your friends want to see it done.

using things at hand that I'm making work.

I find using things at hand, making and adapting parts, to be one of the most satisfying parts of boatwork. I could just buy all new everything instead of adapting and retrofitting old parts and pieces and the build would be faster and probably less Wabi-sabi, but the process would be far less satisfying.

In some conditions Helmsman dries too fast; in low humidity I’ve found the need for a shop helper to follow along a half boat length behind me, tipping out what I have just rolled on.

Still waiting for pics...

There's no judgement from this guy. I just like to see what others have done. Everyone has different ways of doing things, and I learn by watching.

Come on Mem...

Put the outwales on right after school, re-sanded the outside and put on the first coat of varnish. Gonna do the sneaky pete routine and slap another coat on without sanding in about 2 hours. Using a foam roller really lets you get a quick thin coat on, it was starting to dry after only a half hour. Once I've got three coats on, I'll put on the brass stem bands. Everything is done on the inside, including the paint job, but won't be able to show that till I'm done varnishing the outside.

Rustic is probably the best description right now.

Aint nothing wrong with that!

Looks really good. I can't believe that you are able to get the coats of varnish on that you are. My first coat on the inside is still drying, and I applied it at 7:30 last night. Good for you.

You'll be ready for your trip for sure.

Momentum

Looks good from here.

Glad your varnish is drying so quick. I put on a coat of Helmsman late last Saturday AM thinking I'd do two more coats before bed but it was still pretty tacky at bedtime so I had to wait until the next morning.

Alan

Back