• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Jack's Special/ Chestnut Chum

I'm not Mem, but I carry my rifle in a long gun dry bag, there is a few companies that make them, the best I've see are made by Watershed. As for the chain saw, I have a friend that have a Sthil arborist saw that he brings some time, it just sit in the canoe. Noting fancy to protect it. I ran chain saws for years for a living, and some time we would leave them in the bush over night wile we would go back home, rain or shine, never had a problem.

Thanks, I've got a stainless 10/22 that I've been wanting to bring along on some trips just for fun when I'm out by myself. Even though it's stainless I still want a case for it.

Good to know about the chainsaws. I've been using one for a long time (stihls)(grew up on a Christmas tree farm. I live in Kansas, pine trees are few and far between). I'm fine with leaving them in the snow, but I wasn't sure about really wet conditions. I should probably just try one of dad's old ones out, but how would they handle being completely submersed in a worst case scenario?

Last edited:
Yes, like canot I have a dry bag type thing made for rifles. Also, the chainsaw sits in the bow on the bottom. If it is raining hard out, I will sometimes throw my lifejacket over it. I've dumped twice with the chainsaw, once it started up right away, the other time it was pooched, stayed under too long and had to have work done on it when I got back. That's the one thing about chainsaws and guns, it's a good idea to tie them into the canoe, or an expensive bit of hardware might end up gone.

Here's a couple of shots of the refurbishment in process. Poor little chum took a beating, but he'll be back to his shiny self soon.

Most of the scratches are just through the varnish

Sanded it all down with 150 grit. I'll probably put four or five coats of varnish on it, hope to get started tomorrow if it's warm enough.

Ouch, that is a nasty bit of pounding on that poor little chum.I have a boat sitting here that doesnt look a whole lot different. On another note...I think we have he same snowblower...lol. Love the tracks.

I hope the Wenonah didnt suffer too badly, we tried to be nice to it.

Back