• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Jack's Special/ Chestnut Chum

So, a little while back Robin posted a view of his Chum that I thought would look cool as if it were shot back in the day, I first showed it to him in e-mail and offered to post it here for him. It is only converted to B&W since I figured with a w/c canoe and the canvas packs it would suit it well.

Funny you should post this photo. When I was enjoying Robin's Marshall L. trip and seeing his campsite/shoreline photos and videos, I was seeing them in black & white in my mind's eye. If you know what I mean. Classic. Traditional. Timeless.

Very fortunate day last Thursday, or in the words of some famous guy I met in the middle of no-where once, "The sun shines on every dog's arse once in a blue moon". I went out to the local wood store and snagged 57 board feet (that's right BF not LF) of western red cedar for just over a 100 bucks. All dressed and ready to be cut up, only encountered 3 tiny knots in the whole bunch.

And on the same day, a local business enterprise donated a brand new Nova Craft 17 foot royalex Haida canoe to our school canoe club!

Waiting for the bad things to happen now!

Going to try to bead and cove tomorrow.

57 BF of clear red cedar...wow, migwetch grandfathers. We are still trying to sort out some 18foot clear spruce of some sort. That is not going well.

And a donated Rx boat. Shining times for sure.

Get to planking that boat man. I am doing drywall and paint so need to live through your exploits for a while. I want to see how I like this one ...am thinking of making one for me.

Christy

Yes, off for vacation now, which means some time to do canoe work. I forgot to mention, I also got a 12 foot by 10 inch piece of mahogany in that pile. That will become my gunwales and trim.

Are you stuck on 18 foot pieces? Is scarfing out of the question?

Nice score! How long were they? Did you rip them on the table saw or band saw?

Looking forward to seeing it come to life. I expect you'll be done by the time school is back in session? ;)

Alan

I got a variety of lengths from 16 to six feet. I ran a couple of the smaller 16 foot ones through, and then cut most of the longer ones down just to make it easier to edge plane them. Used the table saw with a thin kerf blade. Got 18 strips out of 7.25 inch boards which wasn't too bad. I do have to put a push on, because I will be forced to take 6 weeks off work some time in the middle of winter to have some parts restructured (my parts, not the canoes). However, I'm sure I will be the turtle to your sprint like boat building!

I do have to put a push on, because I will be forced to take 6 weeks off work some time in the middle of winter to have some parts restructured (my parts, not the canoes). However, I'm sure I will be the turtle to your sprint like boat building!

That's gotta hurt!

No more heavy canoes for you.

So the sun shined on your dog's arse and you got wood out of the deal. Must be a Canadian thing. I don't think the sun has shined here for two weeks. Excellent score of wood Mem I'm happy for you. I'll check back tomorrow to see if there is an update. Strip on big boy.

Finished all the bead and cove today and started the stripping process. Hope to get quite a bit done in the next few days.

Well, I have three of the bow/stern sections filled in. These fellas take a while, as each piece must be form fitted. I'm really liking the looks of this canoe.

Ohhhhhh that is looking very pretty. I love the dark accent. I'm grooving on the hull shape too.

Christy

Back