• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Jack's Special/ Chestnut Chum

I'm debating following the traditional lines. It is easy when stripping to just let the natural curve of the strip determine the height of the bow and stern. Looking at the bow and stern forms, I would guess that this would lower total stem height by about 2 inches.

Robin, did you notice any real difference in your two chum models? Do you think the one you have now catches the wind more?

I don't want to sacrifice looks on this one, I've been paddling ugly asymmetrical canoes for so long.

I like the look of the traditional Chum so much that I will gladly give up the (supposed?) low profile wind advantage. Paddling a loaded canoe all day into the wind sucks, but I really wonder if changing that beautiful profile would amount to a big noticeable advantage.

I never noticed any difference in my first Chum with the low profile vs. the second Chum with the high ends, but I could be biased and my opinion is purely skewed to what I want vs. what is accurate.

I've been pondering whether the weight of the boat might negate any wind effects of the high ends. Even my kevlar boat with low profile sheer blows around like crazy, albeit less with a load. The Swift is like a feather in the wind. Even with the low sheer line on my Chestnut Fox it tends to weather-vane but that could be improper trim.

Well there is less skin surface on low sheered boats exposed to the wind..Some designs are prone to weather vaning and asymmetric designs are the funkiest in that department.

F=ma of course so increase in M with no increase of F will make A less. But what the extent of that measurement and does it jibe with our perception needs to be measured/

Seat placement has a LOT do do with control of wind. A seat a little too far forward for your particular mass and a stern wind and can you say pinwheel?

I prefer the traditional ends but the answer here is obvious. Build the molds for the high ends and offer either with the ends cut down if desired by the customer.

I see a chum or pal solo as a very viable option for larger guys and with removable seats they could be converted to tandem with little effort other than bolting it in. Options options options. I am very interested in making a 15 foot huron with better quality control.No body is producing THAT. Frieghters are bouncing about in the back of my mind also. Find a niche and fill it.

The only thing that I have not quite figured out is what the heck are we going to do with all the saw dust and shavings?

Christy

The only thing that I have not quite figured out is what the heck are we going to do with all the saw dust and shavings?

Start a hamster farm! I might put some work in today. Once I get the forms up, I'll have a better idea.

Are you building at school again or did you put heat in your garage over the Summer?

It is getting cold here but we are still snow free. Starting to get difficult to keep the shop over 50 degrees.

Finally got the stations up today. Still haven't found cedar yet though Have to start checking my my cedar trapline soon, everyone around here wants to build a sauna, so they hold on to their cedar for years.

:) Looking forward to watching your build this winter. What is the boat build in the back ground?

That's a Pal that a kid started a couple of years ago. Don't think he will finish it, I'm trying to find someone to take over the build.

Seem's like it didn't work.

Nope, not in the least. The exuberence she elicited after I told her about it and the smoke coming from her ears as her brain worked out our upcoming winter trip to Geraldton tends to be annoying. I'd say the strongback is too big and wouldn't sit properly on a standard 14 foot boat trailer (although I bet I could work that out), however, we don't need another project. We don't need another project, we don't need another project.

See if that works.

Well, it's not closed in yet, so it would definately have to travel on the strongback, which is 17 feet long. I'm kinda partial to you guys, which is why I don't want you making a winter drive to G-Town with a trailer. Last winter, the highway was the worst it has ever been, due to the contracting out of highway maintenance to an Australian country. Yes, that's right, a country with no snow was contracted to plow one of the worst highways in the world.

I might have a canvas canoe for you too........sounds like a summertime trip though.

We are in the process of building an actual canoe trailer although that too needs to wait to warm weather. Christy got her hands on an old, really old, torsion suspension trailer. So it only had a spring on one side and is kind of bent, eventually it will be fixed and be ideal for canoes since it will handle the lighter weights of canoes than a leaf spring set up would.

Winnipeg did a similar thing with snow removal last year, they contracted it to a private company and the roads were a nightmare. 6" of ice with ruts to the pavement. Just try to get out of the ruts with oncoming traffic. All of this by governments trying to cut costs and in the end the results suck.

I like hanging around and watching when Mem rolls up his sleeves.

Ya, he's kind of a manly man. Doesn't pussy foot around much. He'd probably get twice as much work done though, if he'd put down that can of beer and work with two hands.

Last edited:
Back