• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

How did you introduce your Dog to the canoe?

Reaction score
I have a very active 10 year old Vizsla (Hungarian Pointer) that i want to try in the canoe. I think once she gets comfortable with being "IN" it she will curl up/ sit on the bed i have fashioned and observe. Definitely short paddles to see how/if she enjoys the time. But i wondered how you coaxed them into the boat to be cool with it if you will? Or did they just hop on in? There is the obvious, treats, and i thought i would try it i the grass in the back yard, then provided she seems good with that, progress to the water.

I guess my hunch is she will probably not just hop in and i'll have to coax her and show her it's no big deal, but wondered others experience with this.

Thank you

Ken

Wait until the water is WARM ! seems like they all bail out at least once 1 Try it on flat water ! Gouing down a river, and trying to get a dog back in a canoe, can be a handful !

My experience was with a Rat Terrier ! By far one of my smartest dogs ! And easy to handle in a canoe, unless she spotted a critter !

A foam pad, like Alan Gage uses for Sadie, is an excellent idea !

IMG_0381_zps4rrxag3m.jpg

On most solo and tandem trips there is usually a dog with me. Since my dogs are trained as working/sport dogs they know the down/stay command and are taught to respect it. Being of a large breed of dog I want their weight as ballast in the the middle and center of the canoe. As I am an kneeler they are in the bottom of the canoe between my knees. The additional 70 - 80 lbs of weight helps in rough seas. I first get the dog use to the canoe and gear at home in the yard (dog goes into position and I rock the boat as in rough water). It does not take long for the dog to be comfortable with this.

A large standing dog in a solo boat is a dangerous thing.

Here is a photo of one of my dogs at home being trained and another one on a trip in LV where dogs are permitted.

P8260002.JPG

fiocanoe.jpg

Both my canoe dogs have taken to it pretty much right off the bat. No coaxing required.

Once in the canoe the dog needs to listen to what you tell it to do.
The dog should have its designated place in the canoe and not be free to wander around at will. That designated place shouldn't be in your way should you suddenly need to adjust position or quickly change from sit to kneel.

Dogs can however be helpful as a moveable trimming device. There have been instances with strong side winds where I can't get enough weight in the stern. If I call Sadie to leave the bow and temporarily sit between my knees the boat is trimmed perfectly. Same thing for going through large waves in rapids. Sometimes getting that extra 30 pounds out of the bow lets it ride up and over a little better.

Alan

When I started with our current dog, Juneau (she was just under a year old when we got her and about 16 months when I began getting her used to the canoe), all I did was take my boat out of the barn and leave it on the lawn so she could investigate it at her convenience. After a bit I called her over to it and used the usual training aids (Pupperonis) to have her get into the canoe. The first time out I made sure my wife joined me in our tandem and we had the dog sit in the bow near my wife so she'd feel comfortable. Usually the dog sat in the bow but eventually she felt comfortable enough to lie on the floor. After a few short trips with that arrangement I took her with me and a friend. I had the dog sit in the center of the canoe and allowed her to move around a bit so she could get used to the shift in the canoe as she moved from side to side. There was one point where I saw that look in her eye as she contemplated jumping out to fetch the stick that we paddled by but I gave her a stern "stay" and she did. The rest of that trip was uneventful until we saw a beaver; actually I saw it first. Knowing how she loves to "play" with all the other animals around our home, I told her to lie "down" (I try to use one word commands) and she did; never seeing the beaver.

Eventually I moved into taking her in my solo canoe. On our first time out I tried to have her sit behind my solo seat but she kept trying to climb up to be with me. From there I put her in the bow compartment but again, she kept moving back towards me in the center of the canoe. Realizing she somehow needed me to be more comfortable, I placed her in the center of the canoe just in front of my seat. Since she gets in the way of my paddling if she's sitting up, she's had to learn that if she wants to be there, she has to lie down.

Also, after reading Alan's comments about having a pad for Sadie, I got an old yoga mat for Juneau to lie on when in the canoe. Between the mat and lying in front of me, she seems very happy. In this position she doesn't affect the trim of the canoe but she can still rest her head on the gunwales and see what's going on. All in all, it's working out well. I just hope we can get right back into this routine once spring rolls around again.

I guess that's all for now. Best of luck in getting your dog set for paddling. It's a real joy to be able to have my dog join me when I'm out paddling so I hope this all works out for you as well. Until next time....be well.

snapper

Starting out with the canoe in the grass and some treats to get the dog used to the canoe. It helps if the dog is not afraid of the water or of getting wet. SIT, DOWN, and STAY should be understood and followed by the dog before you get on the water. I prefer to solo with my dog. Being a pointer, she is lively and shifts her weight around. That disturbs the rhythm and makes correction strokes necessary. Spend more time on the water with increasingly longer trips. Hopefully, you will reach a point where she settles down in her place. Soon you'll know if canoeing is for your dog and if canoeing with a dog is for you. They sure are handy as dead weight for trim.

https://flic.kr/p/DuFDYk https://www.flickr.com/photos/133956285@N05/

My last dog loved the water so that was a plus, and we got her very young and she went everywhere with me. The first time in a canoe she sat with the girlfriend and was good about things. The second trip was solo and I made her sit up front of the carry thwart but she was antsy as heck. In a shallow section she jumped ship and just stood there. I got out, below my knees and talked with her for a bit and then lifted her back in and let her choose her spot. Well, it was right at my feet which was a learning curve for her and me but it worked out. We paddled together that way for 13 and half years and she was good in up to class II waters. She got used to me kneeling and swinging my paddle over her head (she wasn't a big dog) and didn't mind when I squeezed her between my knees while the boat was getting rocked around, heck, I think she loved that.

I did have a 3 board laced together platform to keep her butt out of the bilge water which she appreciated. I later added some foam to it as she older. My current dog is a runner and skittish as heck and wouldn't get in a canoe if I threw a prime rib in there. I do miss my last pup!

I'm on my second canoe dog and I'm using the same system as I did with our lab. You want very secure footing since no dog wants to jump onto something that moves. I use 2 kneeling pads that don't slip. You might get a rubber backed bath matt. I also had them on a short leash in the very beginning so I could teach them to "settle down" if they were moving around a lot. I also carry a pocket full of mini milkbones and if I accidentally splash the dog she gets a cookie. I suggest that your first paddle be short with lots of enthusiasm and positive reinforcement. My dogs also learned "get in the boat" very quickly since it sounds a lot like " get in the car".

photo8723.jpgphoto8724.jpg All pretty well covered here. I started my Airedale with the canoe on the grass, with treats. I happen to have a pool, so he then graduated to jump in and out of the canoe in the pool (again encouraged with treats). Finally, I took him on a day trip. He is not interested in getting in the water -- at all. None of my four Airedales has ever been. That may be a blessing in a canoe dog.

Attachments

• IMG_4604.JPG
    IMG_4604.JPG
    552 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the input and whats worked for all of you. My biggest bridge to cross i think will be her Prey drive. V's are fur and feather dogs so just about anything that moves is fair game LOL. I guess baby steps and a good comfy place for her to sit and curl up.

Happy Paddling...

Sweetfancymoses - Your picture with your dog standing made me cringe! I travel in relatively stable canoes and my 95# labrador Boomer makes the craft so tippy when he stands that he is rarely allowed to.

In preparation for our first trip, we spent a few afternoons on a backyard pond or a local lake attempting to fish. It was very stressful on both of us but somehow we stayed dry. I was seriously worried that my dream of taking him tripping would be impossible but it turned out far better than I thought after limiting his space with gear. When we were alone in the canoe, he would move from side to side, lean on one gunwale or the other, and generally make counter balancing him a nightmare. When he would suddenly turn to look from port to starboard (prey drive!) would be unnerving for me. What I learned to do is to limit his space so that he simply could not throw his weight around. I always have a tall, backpacking style pack as my primary pack and I have him share a compartment with it, side-to-side. I try to place/tie the pack as close to the gunwale as possible, which not only is necessary for his comfort but also puts his weight a little closer to center. Most of the time I need to place other cargo to the side opposite him to help balance his weight. He can sit up, lean on the pack if he wants to and look around without upsetting the canoe as much as if he could stand up and throw his weight to one side or the other. At first he would protest and try to enter the canoe in the compartment I was paddling in, or climb on top of packs in another compartment but he has learned his place and is quite pleased to be along. A few trips like this and he (almost) understands the concept of balance and can be trusted with more room, and I will even solo with him in an empty canoe today. It should be noted here that I have never had him in a canoe that was narrower than 30" and I pack heavier than some.

It was a headache to start, obedience is very critical, especially with an active and alert hunting\working dog, but now after 3 years of tripping he is a pro. Someday I hope to build a sleek solo canoe for the two of us and let him have his own, narrower compartment. I know he can handle it now that he has experience, but it would have been more of a headache to start this way.

The first picture is the only decent picture I could find of this arrangement, and it is quite embarrassing given the poor organization of the huge amount of gear. 10 days, no portages, beer.

The third picture is from our most recent trip together. When he has this much space I still use a paddle when he first sits down to pry him closer to center. That 18'6" canoe is impossible for me to handle alone, but with his weight I was able to go fishing in the early morning AND make it back to camp when the wind picked up.

EDIT for grammar and realizing I never said anything about "introducing" him to the canoe. He loves the water, and he loves being with me so that part was easy. I got in the canoe, gave him the same command I give him to get into a vehicle (load up) and he jumped right in. One stressful training day, I believe it was our second, he wasn't wanting to get back into the canoe, so I took off and he swam after. I made him follow me for a while before pulling over and by then he had figured out that he would much rather be in the canoe.

Attachments

• photo8738.jpg
    photo8738.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8739.jpg
    photo8739.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8740.jpg
    photo8740.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We had warm weather here on Thursday and I decided it would be a good day for my first paddle of the season and an opportunity to take another short training trip with my Airedale. This was his second time and he was pretty good in the canoe. He moved about a few times (he obviously had lots of room) but it wasn't an issue in the calm, flat waters where I took him. He showed no hesitancy to get into into or out of the canoe and got in and out on command. We got heckled by a few Canada Geese who were nesting on the shore, and while he was somewhat interested in them, he didn't try to get out or go after them.

One piece of advice I forgot to mention in my previous post is don't forget to train your dog on dry land with the life vest. My dog initially was way more fearful of the life vest and having it put on him than he was about hopping in or our of the canoe. It took many, many treats to encourage him to put his head through the neck-hole in the vest. And the first time I buckled him into it, he ran around and did a bucking-bronco routine trying to get out of it. Now he is used to it, thank goodness! So start life-vest training as soon as or before you start training him/her to get in and out of the canoe.

Attachments

• photo9258.jpg
    photo9258.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9259.jpg
    photo9259.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9260.jpg
    photo9260.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 0
"Dog", this is my canoe" "Canoe, this is my dog".

Dog (an 80 pound Labrador) in the canoe somewhere out on the water and not afraid to go swimming: "hey look, there's a critter or something interesting on the right side", "nevermind, no look, theres's a duck on the left side now."
Me: "sit still, where's my PFD?"

Both my dogs were puppies 8 to 10 weeks old Labs the first one took her down a class 1-2 rapid my wife is in on canoe I am in the other my wife takes on next thing I now the pup is going after her.When I got in my canoe she jumped out of my wife's canoe and swam over to me I grab her and put her in the canoe(she did have live jacket on) she sat on air bag and enjoyed it until we hit rapids basically a wave train she climbed up me and held on to myt neck until we were through then she laid back on airbag until we were done (she is a black)
My second lab(my brown) about 6 months younger here first trip we were going down some class i rapids she was leaning over the canoe lapping at the water and fell out we stopped at the end of the rapid and pulled her out none the worse.
Another trip I was doing a low water summer run on a class 2 rapid my daughter flipped over I had 2 dogs with me in canoe. my son was suppose to be watching them I am walking across the rapid I look behind me and there is the brown right behind me so I grabbed her and my son went to get my daughter and I watched the dogs.
My biggest problem is they both way about 60 lbs and they like to look out the same side of the canoe and run one side to the other so I have to keep the boat balanced. my wife is in the front not knowing what I am doing and thinks all is fine unless they decide to sit up front with her. Not bad with one lots of time they both want to and things can get hectic or when they jump out and want to climb back in !
Rivers they are better water is moving we are moving they tend to sit most of the time. Lakes and ponds I have to stay away from shore or they will jump out then want to climb back in. I have to work with them some more this years

Back