• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Hammock for lounging and lazing, not sleeping

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always preferred horizontal to vertical, and that preference has increased with age. From my earliest youth and throughout a professional office career, I could not study, read or talk on the telephone without having my feet on the table or desk. Now, I'd rather be in bed than a chair; and if a chair, it must recline.

So I began hauling a fairly heavy reclining chair on canoe trips about 12 years ago. But it isn't horizontal enough. So I'm thinking about a hammock.

I do NOT want to sleep in the hammock at night. Tents-R-me.

However, I would like to string up a hammock for lounging, reading, sipping Uncle Lee's decaffeinated green tea, gazing and lazing. Something lightweight, inexpensive, easy to set up and take down, and comfortable. Since I'm not going to sleep in it at night, I don't need the special tarps, quilts and other hammock gear mania.

Suggestions, experience, thoughts and pictures would be appreciated.

Simple and easy to buy one... ENO double nest is available in alot of stores. With no bug net or zippers or anything it's a very simple piece of kit.

There are ways to sew your own if you're into the diy.

If you're bored look up Shug over on Hammock forums. He also put out a line of tutorials on a whole bunch of stuff on YouTube --shugemery. Is his channel I think. . He is entertaining as well.

There are about as many ways to hang a hammock as there are to paddle a canoe.

Depending on the time of year and temp... you may still want some sort of insulation under your backside, even lounging, unless it's quite hot outside.
It may seem complicated at first but just don't over think any of it... hang one up and get comfy.

Only thing a chair has over a hammock is that you can pull up to the fire ring, or group and socialize. With the hammock as a stand alone chair, you'll be off to the side somewhere or back in the woods looking for suitable trees in most cases. If you travel alone it really don't matter though.
Jason

Last edited:
ENO double nest

time of year and temp...

Only thing a chair has over a hammock

If you travel alone it really don't matter though.

Thanks for that product suggestion. It's less expensive than I feared.

I should clarify my specific situation these days. I'm usually alone. I only trip in warm weather. I'm not looking to replace my chair with a hammock, but just to supplement my chair. And the hammock is something I would also use when van camping and base canoeing.

That will work then! After you get the nack for the 'angle of the dangle' you will be set. I find that even if I don't have the perfect hangin angle, it's still comfy. Good luck out there!

I too favor the horizontal... feet up at the office (milk crate), reading on the bed, etc... I even lean over to lay on the bench of our breakfast nook to eat my dessert, Roman style (now that the kids are out of the house.) I am also a hammocker, at least here in LA (snakes and bugs.) In NY and TN, I like the ground.

ENO makes some good, cheap/simple hammocks. However, I'd like to offer another option.

I carry a "bush chair" that weighs about 6 oz. It's a 24" x 54" piece of silnylon cloth (finished size). The silnylon is folded in half so you can insert a foam pad between the two layers from the side if it gets chilly. I've also used my shirt or leaves. As I carry a sit pad anyway, it's no extra weight. At the head end, you fold it over a couple inches and run a seam. Thread a light rope through this about 3' long, and tie it off with a bowline, puckering that end. This goes around a tree at about chest level. The other end has a heavier piece of cotton duck sewn to it, forming another pocket/tube. This one needs to be about 3" wide, so you can get a 30" x 2" stick through it. You'll need another rope for this end (though some people, me included, sometime just use a longer stick and set it up leaning against a pair of legs that cross behind you, using the 3' upper rope to lash them together.) Tie a loop in one end, and put that over the stick. run the rope to another tree, once around, then back to the other end of the stick. Adjust til the tilt of the chair is to your liking. You can get a nice lean on it. My own rope for this is a 25' piece of 3/16" braided line. Here's a couple recent shots.

chair1.jpg
chair2.jpg

In the second pic, I've got it set up close enough to the tree to use it as a footrest. In a photo I can't find, I have it set up between two trees farther apart, and I have my legs propped up on the ropes. Very comfortable, even with a bad L5 disk, and I laid in it for about 4 hours reading last weekend.

I too favor the horizontal... feet up at the office (milk crate), reading on the bed, etc... I even lean over to lay on the bench of our breakfast nook to eat my dessert, Roman style (now that the kids are out of the house.) I am also a hammocker, at least here in LA (snakes and bugs.) In NY and TN, I like the ground.

ENO makes some good, cheap/simple hammocks. However, I'd like to offer another option.

I carry a "bush chair" that weighs about 6 oz. It's a 24" x 54" piece of silnylon cloth (finished size). The silnylon is folded in half so you can insert a foam pad between the two layers from the side if it gets chilly. I've also used my shirt or leaves. As I carry a sit pad anyway, it's no extra weight. At the head end, you fold it over a couple inches and run a seam. Thread a light rope through this about 3' long, and tie it off with a bowline, puckering that end. This goes around a tree at about chest level. The other end has a heavier piece of cotton duck sewn to it, forming another pocket/tube. This one needs to be about 3" wide, so you can get a 30" x 2" stick through it. You'll need another rope for this end (though some people, me included, sometime just use a longer stick and set it up leaning against a pair of legs that cross behind you, using the 3' upper rope to lash them together.) Tie a loop in one end, and put that over the stick. run the rope to another tree, once around, then back to the other end of the stick. Adjust til the tilt of the chair is to your liking. You can get a nice lean on it. My own rope for this is a 25' piece of 3/16" braided line. Here's a couple recent shots.

In the second pic, I've got it set up close enough to the tree to use it as a footrest. In a photo I can't find, I have it set up between two trees farther apart, and I have my legs propped up on the ropes. Very comfortable, even with a bad L5 disk, and I laid in it for about 4 hours reading last weekend.

Ho I like that a lot!!

So I'm beginning to do some research, reading reviews and watching videos.

It seems I have to make fundamental choice between the gathered-end ("cocoon") style hammock:

2179a8c32125d3f423b66e972ae0fd00.jpg

and the bridge style hammock with spreader bars.

ecd3449e13aa7a85eb061c11bc93431f.jpg

Both these pictures are of Warbonnet products.

The top picture is the Blackbird, which shows the ridgeline that gathered-end hammocks seem to have (why?) and the Blackbird exclusive footbox, which aids in angled sleeping. It also shows the Blackbird storage shelf.

The bottom picture is the Ridgerunner, which show the absence of a ridgeline on bridge hammocks (why?). This Ridgerunner model also has hanging storage bags on each side, which aren't clearly shown in this picture.

So for a day lounging hammock, do I want a gathered-end model or a bridge model? For day use, the ability to sit in it and the ability to have a good view are more important than for a night sleeping hammock. I wonder if the ridgeline interferes with sit-ability. I read that bridge hammocks may be more tippy than gathered-end hammocks, but never having used either, I don't know if that's true or how important it is.

I assume gathered-end styles weigh less than bridge styles because of the lack of spreader bars, but I'm not sure that's particularly important to a canoe camper vs. a hiker.

These Warbonnets are (to me) high-end models, around $180-$200 U.S. So price point is another fundamental choice I have to make. I see some camping hammocks in the $20-$45 range.

The ENO Double Nest is about $70 U.S.

I have a Hennessy Hammock that I camp with (sleep in) and a cheep arse walmart hammock that I tie up in the back yard for relaxing.

I use a Grand Trunk double that is relatively inexpensive.

Hammock.JPG

My granddaughter and her friend seemed to think using it upside down was the way to go.

We have been using a ENO for years, I don't know the model, but it is a cheaper one! We use it for everything other than sleeping(nighttime) in!! It as been great you can sit in it, you can swing you can nap!!

Glenn, I have both of those Warbonnet hammocks, the Blackbird gathered end and the Ridgerunner bridge hammock.

re: ridge lines Neither hammock NEEDS a ridgeline, but it sure helps a gathered end hammock to have the same shape every time, and to keep a bugnet up off your face. There is a shock cord ridgeline that one adds to the bridge hammock when using a bugnet, for the same reason.

For overnight sleeping, I'd recommend the bridge hands down, but for lazing around, the gathered end is wonderful. Note the "shelf" where you can stash your book when you doze off. If you want to actually sit in the hammock perpendicular to the line of the hammock, and enjoy the view while sitting, you can do that. There is a sweet spot where the ridge line is out of the way. Also, some folks stretch a foot line between each end, to have something to rest your feet on.

Warbonnet makes a net-less, ridgeline-less, shelf-less version of the blackbird called the Traveller which is about $75 for a double layer (Always get the double layer so you can slip a thin foam pad in there if need be. Backs get cold even a few degrees below room temperature.) But the ENO is similar and cheaper and more widely available if the no-net route is the way you are going.

Also, some folks stretch a foot line between each end, to have something to rest your feet on.

Sturgeon, thanks for all the info, but I'm not sure what you mean by a foot line. Is this for when sitting or when reclining?

For just lounging a simple gathered end is the ticket, the ridgeline is completely optional, you can buy a tablecloth and make your own hammock for about $10 and there is no sewing involved or anything.

I might also add that tree straps would be a good idea too, they at least give the illusion that you're trying to protect the tree rather than using ropes around the tree.

Last edited:
You might want to try both single and double nest eno hammocks. Doubles are great when you have a lot of bedclothes, a friend, or are a bigger/taller person. I find the single nest to be a bit more comfy than the double for just lazy'n around (not as much fabric to contend with). Another option is the afore mentioned wallyworld "equip" hammock. $20 and some better riggin' in the gathers and you have quite the comfortable lounger. My lounger is an old school mesh/net hammock (Gilligan's hammock), easy peasy and extremely multi-functional. Best advice: KISS; it's a hammock, not a friggin bedroom.

You might want to try both single and double nest eno hammocks. Doubles are great when you have a lot of bedclothes, a friend, or are a bigger/taller person. I find the single nest to be a bit more comfy than the double for just lazy'n around (not as much fabric to contend with).

What Doc said.

We have an Eno Double and a couple of single person “Travel Hammocks”. The entire family prefers the using single hammocks to the double. The double has so much fabric that it can be a comical struggle to get out and when ensconced in the thing I am so far down that it does not provide a comfortable arm position for reading a book, leaving my elbows trapped between the sides of the hammock and my body.

The singles are far more comfortable for reading a book and far easier to get out of.

One hammock note of caution: A lot of State Park facilities do not permit the use of hammocks suspended from trees, even with tree hugger straps. If your intended use is for lying in a day use hammock, napping, reading a book or watching the clouds you may be out of luck in State Park facilities.

More info on hammock regulation/prohibitions here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum...-50-State-Project-US-State-Parks-amp-Hammocks

The double has so much fabric that it can be a comical struggle to get out and when ensconced in the thing I am so far down that it does not provide a comfortable arm position for reading a book, leaving my elbows trapped between the sides of the hammock and my body.

Excess fabric droop and slop can be remedied by a stretch-side feature known as a "Knotty mod":

DutchWare has an amazing combination of custom features and accessories, including a Knotty mod, for very reasonable prices. I'm very attracted to their 11' netless hammock, probably made from 1.0 oz. Hexon, single layer, with Knotty mod and structural ridgeline. You can price out your customized hammock on the website including the weights as you change options.

The lightest hammocks and suspensions I've found are from Hummingbird. The Single, which is made from parachute fabric and uses "soft carabiners", weighs 5.2 oz; and the tree straps weigh a mere 2.3 oz. The Rec, which is the same size as the Single but is 9.1 oz in ripstop nylon, is currently on sale for $40. However, the Single and Rec, at 8.7' long, are said by some hammock posters to be too short for comfortable night sleeping, especially for taller people. The Single+ is one foot longer and weighs 7.6 oz., which isn't much less than an 11' DutchWare hammock made from 1.0 oz fabric.

Last edited:
Back