• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

First time builder Ashes Solo Trip

I see you have a thwart, just behind the seat. I like a thwart about 26" forward of the seat. This allows me to hang a thwart bag, and map case, and makes them both handy. It's also handy to rest my fishing pole.

IMG_0064_zpseydhgl4u.jpg

another trick with the thwart forward, is I can wedge my paddles, on top of the thwart, and under the seat, while portaging. Just a thought !

8ee1a689-01bd-48db-914b-e974a50783c6_zps7caae83b.jpg

If you varnish the nylon cord on the seat? ( I recommend !) really saturate the cord.
It will take a lot of time to cure, but it will last for ever.

You will likely want to lower that seat.
I set the front edge about 3" below the gunnels, and the back spacer at about 2.25".
This will greatly improve stability.

Your canoe looks great !

IMG_3491.JPG
Thanks Jim! Your seats are beautiful, and the plan is to varnish the cord. I agree the seat is pretty high, it’s 1 inch below the gunwales, and has a 1 inch drop built into the seat frame. I want to try it out, and if it’s not real stable, I’ll drop it another inch.

I see you have a thwart, just behind the seat. I like a thwart about 26" forward of the seat. This allows me to hang a thwart bag, and map case, and makes them both handy. It's also handy to rest my fishing pole.

IMG_0064_zpseydhgl4u.jpg

another trick with the thwart forward, is I can wedge my paddles, on top of the thwart, and under the seat, while portaging. Just a thought !

8ee1a689-01bd-48db-914b-e974a50783c6_zps7caae83b.jpg
Beautiful boat! The plans for my boat only call for the single thwart, although I could most certainly add another. It would make a great place to put a cup holder for beer.

Been sanding away, thinking I’m ready for varnish. However, I have some dry spots. Mix up some epoxy and do a light fill coat? Fill individual spots with epoxy? Or just go forward with varnish? Here’s a couple photos of my problem areas.IMG_4588.jpegIMG_4587.jpegIMG_4583.jpeg

If those are on the inside ? I don't see any structural harm.
It's up to you !
You can cut them out, feather the edge, patch and fill, and feather again. They won't be visible, once varnished..

Looks nice. When it gets warmer, give us a report on how it handles on the water !

Jim

If those are on the inside ? I don't see any structural harm.
It's up to you !
You can cut them out, feather the edge, patch and fill, and feather again. They won't be visible, once varnished..

Looks nice. When it gets warmer, give us a report on how it handles on the water !

Jim
Yes, they are on the inside. Appreciate the sage advice! Thinking I may just run with varnish and call it good. I’m so sick of sanding!

I did as Boatman did except that I didn't actually drill holes. Instead, I bought the needles & jabbed them through (you will probably want to make 2 holes... one through which to fill & one to let the air out). Tractor Supply will have syringes & needles (use the larger gauge to inject the epoxy more easily)

Looks great! I have runs in the epoxy, gaps between strips, all manner of "flaws" that don't seem to matter at all when I'm paddling or even transporting to & from. You'll likely be amazed by how many times you hear "Did you build that?... It's BEAUTIFUL!"

Nicely done. (what's next?)

Looks great! I have runs in the epoxy, gaps between strips, all manner of "flaws" that don't seem to matter at all when I'm paddling or even transporting to & from. You'll likely be amazed by how many times you hear "Did you build that?... It's BEAUTIFUL!"

Nicely done. (what's next?)
I have all the same flaws you just mentioned. But, I’m tickled pink. And I’ve went through your build thread, and your boat is gorgeous! If I remember right, you have plans for another with a unique wood.

As for my next plans, I’m going to attempt to carve a paddle out of some cherry.

Your canoe looks great ! Jason !

Compared to my first canoe ? Yours is Outstanding !

Way to hang in there , and getting it done !

I know you are chomping at the bit, to paddle it !

Enjoy it !

Jim

Last edited:
It sure is pretty! I don't see any flaws, and who cares? As long as it meets your desires, it's a win.
Remember, every artist is unable to see the true beauty of his work...
Get ready for those questions:
What kind of boat is that?
Did you build that?
Was that a kit? (my personal favorite)
Was kind of wood is that?
Did it take forever?

Now on to my thread drift questions/comments.
Is that one of the new, big Broncos? With 35's? How do you like it?
I see a floor drain in your garage...Here in NYS that's against code, I need one.
Love that chair, I have one similar one (fixed legs, no rollers) in my house. Those things just ooze character.

The boat looks great! I remember a lot of frustration with my first build but they always turn out in the end. Those frustrations (seemingly contradictory advice and multiple methods for each step) turn into freedom on future builds as you realize you can do whatever method seems to work best for you and that it's really difficult to screw it up to the point where it can't be fixed.

The dog has be scratching my head. I can't tell if he has his PFD on in anticipation for paddling or if he's eating an entire water melon and got his he stuck in the middle of it.

Alan

It sure is pretty! I don't see any flaws, and who cares? As long as it meets your desires, it's a win.
Remember, every artist is unable to see the true beauty of his work...
Get ready for those questions:
What kind of boat is that?
Did you build that?
Was that a kit? (my personal favorite)
Was kind of wood is that?
Did it take forever?

Now on to my thread drift questions/comments.
Is that one of the new, big Broncos? With 35's? How do you like it?
I see a floor drain in your garage...Here in NYS that's against code, I need one.
Love that chair, I have one similar one (fixed legs, no rollers) in my house. Those things just ooze character.
Thanks for the kind words! I couldn’t have done this without people like you that share their knowledge here. The Bronco is a ’22. it has the Sasquatch package which comes with 4.7 gears in the axles, electronic lockers front and rear, factory capable beadlock wheels, among other things. The wheels have fake beadlock rings, but you can remove them, remount the tires and run real beadlocks, which I have done. It has a 2.3 turbo I-4 and a 7 speed manual transmission. I’ve lifted it, and am running 37’s, has onboard air, and lots of other goodies. I love it, have always wanted an early Bronco. I’ve had it to Moab rock crawling the last two years, and it does great.

The floor drain is very nice to have, and the old chair sure is comfy!

The boat looks great! I remember a lot of frustration with my first build but they always turn out in the end. Those frustrations (seemingly contradictory advice and multiple methods for each step) turn into freedom on future builds as you realize you can do whatever method seems to work best for you and that it's really difficult to screw it up to the point where it can't be fixed.

The dog has be scratching my head. I can't tell if he has his PFD on in anticipation for paddling or if he's eating an entire water melon and got his he stuck in the middle of it.

Alan
Thanks Alan! Yes I had plenty of frustrations along the way, but got through the challenges by taking a step back, looking to this site for answer.

Oh the dog lol, she has that thing on, to prevent her from licking a sore.

Back