• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

First time builder Ashes Solo Trip

Reaction score
New member with a new build. Not much of a woodworker, I have built a few picnic tables, benches etc… Picked up a Bell Yellowstone tandem this summer, and have been paddling that around a bit, but have always been attracted to the beautiful cedar strip canoes. Well, after watching countless YouTube videos, and reading Ted Moore’s, and Nick Schade’s books, lurking around here, I decided to jump in and try my hand at building a canoe.

I’m building an Ashes solo trip. Picked up some 2x6x16 WRC from Menards, and ripped it down to 3/16” x 3/4”. I’m building stapleless, with a rolling bevel. Nick’s Robobevel is a fantastic tool. Pretty slow going, usually get two strips on per night, but am in no hurry. Making mistakes, but learning as I go. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions for all of you experienced builders.IMG_4260.jpegIMG_4258.jpegIMG_4261.jpegIMG_4265.jpegIMG_4260.jpeg

Welcome! You're looking good so far and any (perceived) lack of woodworking skill isn't evident. If you can build a picnic table, you can do this.

Hard to see for sure.... building stemless?

Looking forward to following along.

Welcome aboard! I look forward to watching your progress. I've built a couple of small boats, launch day is a rare thrill.

Bentpushrod, welcome to site membership! You've certainly jumped in from lurker-dom with a wonderfully interesting first post.

Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. How to do that, and how to use many other of the site's technical features, are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Welcome! You're looking good so far and any (perceived) lack of woodworking skill isn't evident. If you can build a picnic table, you can do this.

Hard to see for sure.... building stemless?

Looking forward to following along.
Yes, stemless. and the major source of my screw ups so far, although they are fixable I think.

Based on your screen name, I assume some automotive experience?... I think you'll find that wood strip canoes are far more forgiving of assembly screw-ups than most powertrain components are.

LOTS of experienced builders here and, in my experience, all are happy to lend advice / insight. Don't hesitate to reach out with questions.

You are a good student of the building craft already !
Glad to see another stripper in progress ! I'd love to start another, but I'll wait until Spring.
Menards has been my most used WRC supplier.
Wheels on your strongback, a plus.
Good you have a heated work area, especially being in N Dakota !
Stemless, great !

You are getting to the hard part, when going stapleless.
No shame in using a few staples, to keep your strips true to the forms !
To me ? Stapleless is over rated.

How did you cut your strips ?

I thought I had a lot of bikes ! Good !

Jim

Welcome...And, yeah, your lack of boat building doesn't show in your pics. Stapleless, a bold move for a first build.
Gotta be careful, this can lead to a life long addiction!
I'd like to hear the back story about the bent push rods too, I have 12 of them in my '77 CJ, I think mine are still straight??

Oh boy! I figured I’d get a little crap on the bent pushrods. Yes I’m a bit of a Motörhead, wrenching on crap since I’ve been a kid. Had a ‘70 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland. First motor I ever built. Mild cam, headers, Holley four barrel. How was I to know that a stiffer valve spring was in my future. Well, playing around, a bit too much rpm, and you get my handle: Bentpushrod. How did I cut my strips? I cut them with an old Cratfsman table saw. I really wanted to cut strips with my circular saw, as Jim lays it out. But I was working with 2x material, so ripped It all down with the table saw. Yes I’m building stemless and I have completely butchered the stems. I’m thinking I can save the stems with a bit of sanding, but if not, I have more strips.

Last edited:
You are a good student of the building craft already !
Glad to see another stripper in progress ! I'd love to start another, but I'll wait until Spring.
Menards has been my most used WRC supplier.
Wheels on your strongback, a plus.
Good you have a heated work area, especially being in N Dakota !
Stemless, great !

You are getting to the hard part, when going stapleless.
No shame in using a few staples, to keep your strips true to the forms !
To me ? Stapleless is over rated.

How did you cut your strips ?

I thought I had a lot of bikes ! Good !

Jim
Iowa, Ragbrai?

Had a ‘70 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland. First motor I ever built. Mild cam, headers, Holley four barrel. How was I to know that a stiffer valve spring was in my future. Well, playing around, a bit too much rpm, and you get my handle: Bentpushrod.
Stripperguy & I have a few motorhead years on you but you're among friends.

1st automatic transmission I ever built was a 200-4R. Minor mistake and it blew up on the test drive. Wood is far more forgiving.

A better pic of the stem might help if you want some free (and usually useful) advice.

Iowa, Ragbrai?
No , but have witnessed them twice through our town of Humboldt.
I too loved twisting a wrench or two. I will often pick up bike on the town wide clean up, and repair to give away.
My youngest days were spent working on bikes. A neighbor had access to his Grand dad's salvage yard. Our first modification, was making a tandem/three wheel bike, from two bikes. It wasn't successful but a fun venture, for a couple 10 yr olds !

Keep up the fine work on your canoe !
Jim

Haha, flashback!! I had a 1971 Torino GT with a 351 Cleveland, as fast as it was, my extensively modified Yamaha 350RC was waaay faster (at least up to 95 mph)

As far as your stems, yeah, a better pic will allow us to help, if only virtually.
I recently helped a buddy build his stripper Kite, he had issues with his stems but ultimately they came out OK.
If your stems are really not to your liking, you can add a very thin strip around the ends, sort of like an external stem, but strictly aesthetic and cosmetic. If you decide to do that, just be sure not radius the stems when rough sanding.

I have a 1995 Mustang GT convertible, which was the last Mustang to use a pushrod engine. My engine skills are limited to checking and adding oil and brake fluid, which means they are a quantum leap above my boat building skills.

Here is the owner of Ashes, Trevor Paetkau, giving a TEDx talk:

While those stems don’t look ideal, you still have options for improving their appearance.
I would avoid trying to use any sort of filler, and also avoid adding small cedar chunks to fill the gaps.
If you sand and shape the stem perpendicular to the keel line, you can add a cedar “stem band”, that piece may need to be steam bent to adequately conform.
I have also helped salvage a ragged stem by slicing through the stem joints, and removing a width of material equal the thickness of your strips, and inserting filler pieces.
In either case, the final result will look intentional, and generally blends with the rest of the aesthetics.

It all depends on what you’re looking for as a final outcome.
Do you just want a hull you can use and abuse?
Do you want a hull that’s functional and useful?
Or do you want something a bit more elegant?
Will this be a practice build? Or a once in a lifetime effort?

Answers to those questions will guide your efforts one way or another.

Not to take anything away from stripperguy's excellent advice but i'd be using thickened epoxy on those stems. After the initial rough shaping i'd fill with tinted and thickened epoxy before the final sanding and shaping. I doubt anyone would notice.

But, like stripperguy says, it all comes down to you and your expectations as to how you proceed.

Alan

Back