• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Feast On Adventure

Reaction score
Paul Shipman, a local canoe tripping friend and enthusiastic chef has written an outdoor cookery book. His recipes are mostly "just add boiling water"; he uses a storm kettle for most of his canoe trips, multi-cultural and above all taste great. We were involved in some of the testing process and you'll find a picture of us in the book.

foa.png

Paul's recipes are created by compiling pre-dehydrated or freeze-dried ingredients to create meals, fats are added during the rehydrating process. They are also adaptable for paddlers with dietary restrictions.
He also takes some time to describe the meal construction process and explains how some dried foods are water hungry, they have to be rehydrated separately or they will rob other ingredients of water.

We've been using his recipes this summer and have greatly enjoyed the variety of flavours he used.

Anyway, to get to the point of this post, Paul has given me a copy of his book to give away, I'll pay the shipping.

If you'd like to receive the book please post below and I'll draw a winner in a couple of weeks. If your not lucky please consider taking a look at feastonadventure.com and buying his book.

I'll just bump this, quite surprised at the lack of interest. Yes, it is an actual book, in this case signed by the author. I have the e-book as well as I prefer to use my iPad when preparing recipes.

Will pick a winner when I return from camping after the weekend.

Probably because most of us older folks are set in our ways as far a what we want for camp grub. Maybe not the old gold rush to the Klondike “Bacon & Beans” menu, but something more substantial than add boiling water. Like trout on a stick or frying a bunch of fillets. As far as boiling water, I really like Lake Trout Chowder, my friend Jeff has a wonderful recipe that, sad to say, he has sworn a oath to keep it a secret.

Probably because most of us older folks are set in our ways as far a what we want for camp grub. Maybe not the old gold rush to the Klondike “Bacon & Beans” menu, but something more substantial than add boiling water. Like trout on a stick or frying a bunch of fillets. As far as boiling water, I really like Lake Trout Chowder, my friend Jeff has a wonderful recipe that, sad to say, he has sworn a oath to keep it a secret.
Well you may be right, though some of us don't have time for fishing and with the fire situation down here there could be many more summers when cooking over an open fire will be prohibited. I guess if you were brought up on a meat and potatoes diet some of Paul's recipes would be a bit extreme!

As a Louisiana native, almost everything we do revolves around food, and tripping is no exception.
Always look forward to the meals and the time in camp preparing them. I realize that some here are more interested in the time paddling, and the miles behind, but I am in the other camp. I paddle to get away from my norm, and gain solitude in nature. But eating well keeps me looking forward to time around the fire, keeping the skillsets that involve live fire, and preparing food that often is perceived better than at home. Things always taste better when prepared in the wild.
Slowing down, and the flavor from fire and smoke, keep me sometimes needing to go by canoe, just for the food.

Always looking to add new recipes and techniques.

Thanks for bring his book to our awareness.

Bill

Sure count me in please.... For many years I have prepared the menu and provided meals for the BSA wilderness guide trek leader training program that I am one of the instructors for. I made sure it was a combination of home dehydrated meals, supermarket shelf ingredient based meals, and pre-packaged backpacker stuff the students were likely most accustomed to. I also was in charge of selecting and preparing all the main meals for two different Yukon 1000 mile races. I'm always on the lookoout for new recipes and trial meal ideas.

Didn't see this until today but if the offer is still open, I'd like to be considered for this book. You can't have too many ideas for good meals in the backcountry be it while paddling or hiking.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Mee too. I'm better at eating than cooking, but if there is more variety to be had in the just-add-water space I'd be very interested.

Back