• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Favorite piece of discontinued gear?

Ha, well, I just spent a lot more than that on a tent, but the last time I bought a Timberline, around ten years ago, I payed less than 500, so I'm going to keep my resolve up and my credit card down.

(Shamefaced here)... I have two tents that cost over $1000 each. And my wife makes sure I use them, too! Or else!

Yeah, what kind of fool would spend $1k on a tent???

Alan

Southcove wrote: "(Shamefaced here)... I have two tents that cost over $1000 each."

I hope my post didn't case any shame. I was taking a joking jab at Mem as I knew he'd just bought an expensive Snow Trekker.

Alan

Trail blazer tube saw. I still have the one I bought over 20 years ago, it cuts a lot of wood over that time, and never failed. It was light, it was sturdy, it was compact, it was a bit finicky to set up especially with mitts on, but it was a great saw with super awesome blades!!
There was 2 sizes, and they were made in the USA!!

Trail blazer tube saw. I still have the one I bought over 20 years ago, it cuts a lot of wood over that time, and never failed. It was light, it was sturdy, it was compact, it was a bit finicky to set up especially with mitts on, but it was a great saw with super awesome blades!!
There was 2 sizes, and they were made in the USA!!

WHAT?? Discontinued..?? I got one some 10 years ago . it serves me well and I swear I have seen it on perhaps Lee Valley's site?

not there anymore:( I feel like I found out late that an old friend died

I will take very good care of mine but how to get replacement blades? Yes you had to lay it flat for easiest assembly..

Last edited:
WHAT?? Discontinued..?? I got one some 10 years ago . it serves me well and I swear I have seen it on perhaps Lee Valley's site?

not there anymore:( I feel like I found out late that an old friend died

I will take very good care of mine but how to get replacement blades? Yes you had to lay it flat for easiest assembly..

I have one and some spare blades. I could probably be prepared to part with it. I tend to use either a Silky folding saw or a Bob Dustrude folding saw. It can be assembled while standing up and wearing mitts!

Coleman Peak 1 single burner stoves because I want to cook a meal, not see how fast I can boil water.

Coleman Peak 1 single burner stoves because I want to cook a meal, not see how fast I can boil water.

So true. I took my 2 Peak 1 stoves apart last winter and came up with 1 now that I'm hoping lasts for a long time.

Coleman Xtreme, Xpert, and especially Xpedition 2-burner stove using the bullet-shaped aluminum canisters with the propane mix.

Peak 1 Stove! This summer I found mine, bought in the 80's as gift to me by a good friend. I used it for years and then switched over to propane. I pulled it out of storage and it had a full tank and all I could think was that is was screwed, been sitting for two plus years. I primed it, put a flame to it and it fired right up. I couldn't believe it, thought it would be all gummed up. I burned it dry and am now am having thoughts of bringing it along as a second stove for base camp paddling trips, base camping means a lot of food! Have two fuel bottles that have nothing but cobwebs and sawdust on them. It's a great stove and I used mine for over 20 years and a lot of trips!

dougd

I bought a Peak one packed in a cook set for $5 bucks at a yard sale, no telling when it was lit last. I'll have to see if I can get it going tomorrow.
Jim

Teva Toachis. The water sandal had an extension going forward from the front strap to the front of the sole that protects the big toe. They later came out with the "open Toachi", which was the same sandal sans toe guard. For some reason, they subsequently dropped the original adult size Toachi (still making the kids size). So - kids' toes deserve some protection, but adults' do not?

Gaia float bags.

Rain Gutters.

I would still own my Quick and Easy brackets and saved hundreds of $$ on pricey racks that add little to the functionality of the Q&E brackets and 2X4s

Hmmm still have Peak1 stove. And fake rain gutters
We always have pickup with cap
As I can still get the rain gutters should I buy a set for the next truck? For sure the fake ones will go away

Rain Gutters.

I would still own my Quick and Easy brackets and saved hundreds of $$ on pricey racks that add little to the functionality of the Q&E brackets and 2X4s

+2 to that.

We intentionally bought the last model year minivan with rain gutters, after killing a previous minivan equipped with Quick and Easys. And, when the last of the minivans got “euro-styled”, we replaced it with a 2000 Ford E-150 van, which we still use.

That full sized van has 11 feet of rain gutter and we have eight Q&K brackets on full length 2x4’s. Eight; one four-crossbar set to accommodate 4 open canoes all gunwales down, one quad set designed to accommodate 4 decked boats.

If there was a silver lining to the demise of rain gutters it was that used Quick and Easy brackets were suddenly cheap (or even give-away free) used, and replacement clips and levers still available from NRS. Cheap or free enough that I actually still have 10 Q&E brackets, keeping a spare set in the van as catastrophic failure insurance.

Those brackets were dang near bombproof. In some 100,000+ miles of using Quick and Easy’s on raingutters, I never had a failure across a dozen vehicles, despite some hairy heavy pyramid loads on group shuttles and assorted mishaps.

I have never used aftermarket raingutters and I’m not sure I would trust the attachment as much as the gutters being part of the sheet metal roof.

Is there any vehicle that still comes with OEM raingutters?

I have never used aftermarket raingutters and I’m not sure I would trust the attachment as much as the gutters being part of the sheet metal roof.

Been using aftermarket raingutters since 1987, Last year the tower on the rack broke .. The faingutters were fine.

We haul boats some 20-30 thousand miles a year.

In a collision with a garage door opening the racks came off and the gutters held strong.. They are bolted through a cap.

Been using aftermarket raingutters since 1987, Last year the tower on the rack broke .. The faingutters were fine.

We haul boats some 20-30 thousand miles a year.

In a collision with a garage door opening the racks came off and the gutters held strong.. They are bolted through a cap.

Good to hear. I’m not sure what I will do with 8 Quick and Easy crossbars and 2 spare brackets when the 2000 van finally dies.

My one experience with hazarding a Q&E bracket to accidental force was when a friend ran an empty rack backshuttle for me and one belly line rope fell loose and under the rear wheel.

It yanked the Q&E off the gutters and gouged it across the roof, but the tower, clips and gutter all survived intact (the roof not so much).

I think the manufactures of modern cargo vans, Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit, Chevy Express, Dodge Pro-master and the ilk, are missing an opportunity in not using real rain gutters. Not just in providing easy rooftop outfitting as work truck racks for ladders, pipe or lumber; one of those things, with a naked/unpaneled cargo wall interior, would be awesome to convert to a standalone tripping vehicle. (Step ladder required to slide canoes on or off the racks).

My right hip joint.

Although it served me well for a goodly number of years before discontinuing itself, it is now gone and no OEM replacement being available, I have been force to place my trust in a surrogate. But I sort of miss the old unit.

My right hip joint.

Although it served me well for a goodly number of years before discontinuing itself, it is now gone and no OEM replacement being available, I have been force to place my trust in a surrogate. But I sort of miss the old unit.
well crap Pete.. its frolicking in the medical waste boneyard along with my old right knee.. Now bionic we will attract attention from TSA. I'm not sure I miss the old unit though the new one is squalling for attention a lot.. like a baby. The old one just stabbed and stabbed and said GETMEOUTOFTHECANOE.

The Quick model may be coming soon.. The Easy model.... never.

Back to weather.. my new knee does fine weather forecasting..

Seriously I had taken along our phone with the Windfinder forecast for a teh day outing on Superior last July.. The phone of course died.. But the marine radio lived. And one fine day just north of Old Woman Bay we listened for that days wind forecast ( note that EC never posts wind forecasts more than 72 hours out). What they said was consistent with the last two days long range forecast. Not wanting to beat ten miles up a wind from the North. we retreated to paddle three miles into Old Woman Bay and do an ungracious beach landing.
My DH bedecked in yellow and purple ( drysuit)managed to cadge a ride to Naturally Superior Adventures where our truck was. I suppose he looked more like a court jester than Jack the Ripper.

Upon arriving at NSA he checked in with Dave Wells the proprietor who keeps tabs on wind.. He has several wind programs and of course a marine radio. and the errant forecasts of 35 km/hr wilnds were still up.. Not a whitecap visible on Superior. David made us feel good ; said we made the correct decision considering the rugged coast and lack of shelter.

I still regard that small stretch of coastline unexplored... its on the remnant bucket list.

Back