• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Donations

Reaction score
To help support the technical side of the site, a Paypal donation button has been added (right side of the header picture) It's been a year since I asked for some help, since then I have had to buy the license and have upgrades installed. A $15-$20 donation would be considered generous.
To keep the site running somewhat smoothly, it requires constant attention by someone who understands these things and is familiar with this site. Our webmaster, John, has been doing stellar work trying to work the bugs out of the new upgrades.
To put things in perspective, I figure there will be a 15-20% participation of the 500 plus current membership in the fund raiser. I'm over $500 into the site of my own money after the last fund raiser funds ran out and I expect the webmasters invoice to be at least that, if not double that in the near future.

If you prefer not to use Paypal, you can send a check to,
Robin Lauer
171 Grantville Rd
Norfolk, Ct. 06058

Please, if you use a user name other than your real name, include both your user name and real name so I can identify and log each donation.
Thank You

Last edited:
The "Donate" button will make it easy for folks to help with expenses. The problem with writing a check is I am always going to do it later.

The "Donate" button will make it easy for folks to help with expenses. The problem with writing a check is I am always going to do it later.

Agreed. Much easier and I actually get it done while its on my mind.

While the money helps makes things work, I know a big thank you also helps keep the moral of the site management working. So along with my donation please accept my sincere thanks.

Thanks for keeping this site up and going and putting up with me. Donating was so easy. Feel free to nudge us. For me the reason to donate was clear. You presented a budget and an upfront relay of costs.

I am personally not a big fan of donating to anything when I don't know where the money is going.

And fwiw I hope there is no special badge affixed to those who donate. That's just my personal opinion.

Thanks YC, you opinion is important. As is your continued active participation.

Now its NOT all about me. Those of you lurking behind the hedge...come forth. Robin you don't need a posthog to keep the site going but what makes it interesting is a variety of experiences..or ...emm.. opinions. I think there are an awful lot of people in the shadows who have something to offer but don't think they do.

Posthog? Hmmm is that a new word.. Post count really doesn't to me count as value added. Maybe words.. but not all wise words( but I try to encourage people to think.. that devils advocate thing)

A place for open canoes.
Robin is a far better editor than anyone gives him credit for. How can you possibly narrow down a description of this site into just a few words? I'd have rambled on and gotten lost trying to explain just what this site has to offer. Subjects range from food recipes, tent/tarp/hammock set-ups, and even furniture, to paddles, PFD's and of course canoes, canoes, canoes and the occasional kayak. Knowledgable people sharing experience and opinions with those looking to learn more. There's always people to share something to learn. Ahh people. That's perhaps this site's greatest boon, it's people. People from every walk of life and from every corner of the world. Welcome to our Aussie friend. It's nice to hear a new accent mix in conversation with those of Maine, New York, RI, Maryland, Indiana, Louisiana, the Pacific NW...! (We in Canada don't have accents. Ha!) Anyway, the voices round this friendly campfire are always good to hear, but I know from the numbers that there are many members sitting just beyond the firelight listening. That's good too. Everyone is welcome to join in or just sit back, relax and drop in once in awhile. What this site needs though is to see some more members take a little step forward to the donate button, or do as I've done and slap a stamp on a humble envelope containing a humble amount of $. It doesn't take much, but keeping this site going does take something. Just a little something from many members could help ward off the internet hackers and junk dealers who threaten our friendly little campfire.
Well, just as I feared, I got carried away and blabbed a bit. Sorry. Before I push my own edit button I'd like to thank Robin for keeping this site going. I can't imagine the hassle of plinking away at a computer screen when any one of us (him too I bet) would rather be doing anything else. Does Robin have a computer out in his workshop yet? I hope not. Everyone needs a quiet little getaway. Much like this place provides us.
Oh oh, I rambling again.
A place for open canoes...and people.

Last edited:
Paypal sure made it easy to send on my little bit. Have kept on meaning to send a US Mail money order ever since Rob gave an address out for the free stickers. Just never could get to the Post office when it was open as I work about the same hours. Any way my donation might be worth a couple more pictures of wood and canvas canoes out in the wilderness. ;) Just got to get some eye candy and good info. Thanks Rob for all you do.

On the way. CanoeTripping is my go-to site on the web and worth more to me than 50 cents a day.

And unlike NPR the discussion is not interrupted by endless pledge drives.

Please keep us up to date with how much money is raised vs. what is needed.

The Catholic church used to pass around a second collection, why not canoetripping?

19 donations out of 500 members, I'm stunned. and really, this post will no doubt generate another handful of donations which won't cover the cost of the recent updates and adding the Paypal button, so don't bother.
My plan is to return all the donations via Paypal, and close down the site. I don't want to be the guy who took the money and ran but it's just too hard to be a small site and make it work.
I'm very sorry to my friends who supported the site but I can't afford to continue and the writing on the wall is obvious.

Robin, before you write it off, could you describe where the cost come from and what are they for? Like hosting fees and so on.

If it is just to deal with the technical stuff, maybe we can come up with some sort of plan, it would be a shame to see this site shuttered.

Back