• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Does anyone teach a one-on-one birch bark canoe course?

Reaction score
Building a bark canoe has been a dream of mine for a long time, so I'd better go ahead and start planning on doing it. Does anyone know the name or number of a birch bark builder who teaches one-on-one, or even in small groups? I'm in Virginia, so just going out and knocking around with birch and cedar until I get it right isn't a terribly viable option. I've got a lifetime of woodworking and maybe a dozen skin-on-frames under my belt. Thank you.

Building a bark canoe has been a dream of mine for a long time, so I'd better go ahead and start planning on doing it. Does anyone know the name or number of a birch bark builder who teaches one-on-one, or even in small groups? I'm in Virginia, so just going out and knocking around with birch and cedar until I get it right isn't a terribly viable option. I've got a lifetime of woodworking and maybe a dozen skin-on-frames under my belt. Thank you.
A very noble aspiration MKH. I hope you have deep pockets.

I think Ely Folk School in Ely Minnesota still builds them with you.

other possibilities …

John is a great guy to talk to at the bark canoe store. They also have very good hand carved paddles and tumplines .

Good luck to you.

Bob.

Last edited:
I hope you have deep pockets.
Yuuuuuuuuup.
I did the math once and it would be cheaper to move to Maine for a summer and knock around with found materials than it would be to pay for a 1-on-1 class. (That was pre-pandemic math, though, so who knows these days.)

I knew two guys that built a birch bark canoe with only the book THE BARK AND SKIN BOATS OF NORTH AMERICA as a guide. I couldn’t find my copy this morning, I would guess there are plenty of them in used book stores.
Minnesota Public Television has a documentary about some white guy teaching some Native Americans how to build a birchbark canoe in the traditional way, which is pretty comprehensive.
Tremendous amount of labor collecting the natural materials. Finding the right birch tree is also not the most easiest tree, in the forest to locate.
In the early seventies, while working for the US Forest Service, I took a bunch of YOUTH CONSERVATION CORPS kids and my future wife to visit with Bill Hafeman of rural Big Fork, Minnesota. Mr. Hafeman was building a big fur trade canoe for the Minnesota Historical Society. Very educational visit with a great guy. There is a video on the internet about him and his canoe building called THE BIRCH CANOE BUILDER. I would link to it if I could, however technical knowledge has passed me by (that, and I have refused to keep up with). I suspect google is your friend.
David Gidmark wrote some good books about Algonquin crafts, birch bark canoes being one of them.

MyKneesHurt,

What if? You watch, learn, collect and gain confidence to the building of your birch bark canoe. What have you gained or lost?

The sooner you convey the search, hunt, and building the stronger and wiser you become.

Chase the healthy want,

Dirigo

A 2017 article about a birchbark canoe building program at Fort William, Thunder Bay, Ontario:

"For the past two years, Gail Bannon, Fort William First Nation’s community and recreational coordinator, has lead a group of local youth in canoe building. The small team has built a 15-foot and an 18-foot birchbark canoe completely by hand."

Back