• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Another Kite Canoe Build

Congratulations !

It's easy giving out advice !!!
It's quite another thing to build a canoe, that looks soo good, and can carry you on a journey down a river !

Thanks for sharing with us your build and journey !!!

It looks like you have plenty of freeboard, which is good ! You have plenty of room for more gear (longer trips)
Wind is always an issue.

Job well done !!!

Jim

Mark !

I was just picking through some old threads, and found yours !

After almost 3 years, do you want to share some thoughts about your build ?

Jim

Thanks for asking Jim. The canoe has served me well the last 3 years on a number of long trips and the normal river trips near my home on the Yellowstone, Madison, Jefferson and Missouri Rivers. I built the canoe a little heavy to take some abuse on our rocky rivers with an extra fiberglass layer on the bottom and dynel on the stems. I did a few multi-week trips in the BWCA, Quetico, Wabakimi in 2016 and 17. After 2 seasons of hard use I had to put another layer of dynel on the bow stem. I wore through it into the fiberglass underneath. The new dynel only needed to be about an inch wide and maybe 7 inches long. Only one small deep gouge so far that made it into the wood core, but that was easily repaired. The outwales have started to delaminate at the ends and one area in the center, but this was fixed with a few screws. Last year, prior to a trip to the Churchill River in northern Saskatchewan, I swapped out the pedestal seat for a contour bench seat. I mounted the seat a little higher. I am now able to get my feet underneath in order to paddle on my knees. In addition to improving the handling in moving water, this has made an immense difference for my lower back.

As I expected, this hull seems to hit the perfect middle ground for me for the type of lake and river trips I like to do. I am comfortable paddling it completely empty or with a heavy load. Empty it sits a bit high to be using in windy conditions on a lake and as I've said before, I have difficulty controlling it in a quartering stern wind, but I have learned to cope with it. Some might like a faster hull on open lakes, and others might like something a little more maneuverable in rivers, but I think this canoe is a pretty good compromise.

Here are a few pics from places the canoe has been over the last few years.

Mark

Quetico16.jpg - Quetico 2016
Quetico 2016

bwca2016.jpg
BWCA 2016

Wabakimi17-2.jpg
Wabakimi 2017

P1430467.JPG
BWCA 2017

Quetico17.jpg
Quetico 2017

Churchill18-2.jpg
Churchill River 2018

Attachments

• Quetico16.jpg
    Quetico16.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 7
  • P1330545.JPG
    P1330545.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 6
Nice photos. Where did you travel on the Churchill last year - it was definitely a high water summer, as your photo shows.

wjmc

I paddled the Nemeiben Lake loop route in the counterclockwise direction, over to the Churchill River on the 6 portages route, then upstream on the Churchill for a few days where I wandered around on Blackbear Island Lake trying to keep from getting lost, then looped back around through the lakes to the south back to the start. Yes, it was high water and a very wet trip. It rained every one of the 14 days I was out. I did have some nice clear mornings, but storms came in and it started raining every afternoon which made for challenging camp setup. There was one 48 hour period where it didn't stop raining at all. Wind was out of the north and I must have seen a million geese heading south.

I had one interesting experience losing my bearings. As I was paddling among the many islands on Blackbear Island Lake, it started raining particularly hard. The intensity of rain where you can't see the water surface, just a haze. The canoe had been slowly filling with water over the previous hour and needed to be bailed. I took 2 or 3 minutes to bail out the boat and when I looked up I didn't recognize anything. The boat had been spinning around while I had my head down, and I completely lost track of landmarks around me and the direction I was travelling. After paddling around for a while with my map and compass out I was finally able to figure out where I was. Take a look at a map of that lake.

The temperature dropped during the second week with highs in the upper 30's, frozen everything, graupel and snow. I was able to keep my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes dry enough. I miscalculated footwear though, and ended up with cold/numb feet most of the time. If I had brought my old vapor barrier liners the feet would have been much more comfortable. I intended to do another trip in the area after this one, but the forecast was for colder temps and snow for the next week, so I bailed out and headed home instead.

Mark

Mark,
Great photos and it's interesting to hear your feedback after a long term test period.
Both of my Kites (cedarstrip and carbon copy) feel the same in the water, and as expected, different on my back.
Other than your stern hook, it sounds like your boat's performance is just like that of my boats. Not the fastest thing on the water, but overall a very compromise.
On my cedarstrip Kite, I built the pedestal seat supports a little taller. I can easily slide my feet under the seat for kneeling. Kneeling, the hull feels like some sort of superhero...
On my carbon copy Kite, I think I made my pedestal seat supports a tad too short, and as a result it's a squeeze to get my feet under the seat when I'm not barefoot. Both boats have the seat held in place with 3M Dual Lok, so entrapment is never an issue.

As for your occasional stern hook, I would think it's a trim issue...I really have to bias my aft end a lot. My gear and I rarely total more than 200 lbs, that could make account for the different handling characteristics as well.

Thanks Mark ! Great Trip report ! Outstanding pics !
It's so AWESOME to take something you built, Out into the Wilds, and depend on it to get you there and back !
Thanks for sharing !
I'm in awe !

Jim

Hey stripperguy, when I kneel my feet have to be together for it to be comfortable, so any kind of pedestal seat wouldn’t work. As far as the stern hook, I have mostly resolved the issue with more weight towards the rear as you suggested in the past, but I think the biggest problem with any solo canoe, and the kite is no exception, is the center mounted seat. From that position there just isn’t the same leverage to keep the boat on course as you would have with a seat mounted further back.

Mark

I paddled a cedar strip Osprey for many years. It is the same boat as the Kite, except for the difference in the tumblehome construction. Factory Ospreys come with a sliding seat for adjustments to trim. I just installed my seat about ten inches aft of the centre point. I found this to be a good all around compromise, and didn't struggle much with broaching from the stern. I put several thousand tripping miles on that canoe in a variety of demanding conditions before I finally wore it out. It was my first dedicated solo, and only my second build, so I have very fond memories of it.

Bruce Kunz set his seats at 6" aft of center on his solos, I found that to be good ! I also make my seats deeper to allow me to shift my weight fore and aft.
I'm happy with my bow slightly above the stern.

Just as a comparison, my Pearl has more volume, and is faster. At 15' 11" it should be.

IMG_2581_zpsuz87lcc4.jpg

I also make my seats deeper to allow me to shift my weight fore and aft.
I'm happy with my bow slightly above the stern.

I like the concept of making a seat wider for fixed bench seat trim weight shifting but have, for lack of expertise, given up on making my own seats.

Not just lack of expertise. Ed’s, Essex or others offer seats from flat to contour to extra wide to heavy duty, and something in their selection is usually acceptable.

I wish they made one extra deep; I know I’d need to drill new holes, but having a deeper fixed seat would be such an easy shift-weight solution to on-the-spur trim.

I like the concept of making a seat wider for fixed bench seat trim weight shifting but have, for lack of expertise, given up on making my own seats.

Not just lack of expertise. Ed’s, Essex or others offer seats from flat to contour to extra wide to heavy duty, and something in their selection is usually acceptable.

I wish they made one extra deep; I know I’d need to drill new holes, but having a deeper fixed seat would be such an easy shift-weight solution to on-the-spur trim.

This is the same dimension I've built all my seats to.

I haven't had any luck finding deeper seats commercially made either.

They aren't tough to build ! Just be sure to use at least a shallow mortise. Then a hard wood dowel is all you need to hold things together !

IMG_0109_zpsmoqbjk92.jpg

Here is a pic that shows a replacement seat I made for a Bell Magic, compared to the deeper ones I make for my canoes.

IMG_0109_zpsmoqbjk92.jpg

Back