• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Chiniguchi Waterway, Sudbury Canada - Father Daughter trip

G

Hey All,

New to the Forum, but had one of my most amazing canoe trips Summer 2013 in Ontario Canada. We had seen the Chiniguchi trip in Kevin Callan's Ontario's lost canoe routes book. A friend of mine whose daughter is getting married with in the year asked if I would like to join him. My daughter has had a lot of river canoe trip camping experience in Pa, but had never done any Canadian Tripping. The two girls did not know each other at all before the trip (this could have been a disaster), but they hit it off amazingly.

It was about a 11 hour drive for us, but well worth it. After picking up some maps in Sudbury we were off to an area that none of us had paddled before. We put in on Matagamasi Lake put on through to Wolf Lake camped there. It was so nice we did a layover the first day right there on Wolf Lake. The next day we traveled clear up to Chiniguchi lake and camped along a beautiful sandy beach. It was there that we ran into a traditional camping group, the Wabun Group. They have been traditional camping with Red Wood Canvas canoes, Wanigans, Canvas Bags and Wanigans.

Our return trip to Wolf took us down a middle route of lakes that had poorly marked portages, but beautiful scenery. That was a 8 lake seven portage day; it was well worth it.

Having trouble getting pics up. I'll check on how to care for that.

Good to be on the forum

Doug

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the pic's.

Do you use photobucket for your pictures? If so just copy & paste your image links into your reply.

I paddled the same route solo in early May, and ran into only 1 other group in 8 days. There were some sloppy trails and a few blow-downs to contend with as I was the first of the season to cross some of the ports, but it gave me a chance to try out my new 'Bob Dustrude Folding Bow Saw', which is definitely a keeper!

Ontario has such incredibly diverse paddling destinations. You could spend your whole life paddling this province & not canoe the same place twice. Glad you had a great trip.

Aside from the Wabun group, did you see many other paddlers?

Some of my most precious memories are of my daughter and I canoe camping together.

Can't wait to see pics.

Last edited:
Hoping you can get the picture issue resolved Doug. Would like to experience the trip from your eyes again.

I have my pics but I like to see trips I have done through others eyes too. Photbucket is the hosting service I have too. Just upload to it and then click on the img link. No need to resize( THANK YOU Robin)

Here we go here is a start. Leaving Pa. Breakfast at Tuti Fruti Sudbury Outfitter leaving Matagamasi IMG_0925.jpgIMG_0948.jpgIMG_0950.jpgIMG_0961.jpgIMG_0994-1.jpgIMG_1019.jpg

Try to get a few more up soon - still getting a few from photobucket that say to large a file

Canoe Guitar. We really only ran into other trippers in the Wolf Lake area. We did go from Sunday to Friday so that may have been more a down time. It is always great interacting with other trippers, whether small or large groups.

I paddled the same route solo in early May, and ran into only 1 other group in 8 days. There were some sloppy trails and a few blow-downs to contend with as I was the first of the season to cross some of the ports, but it gave me a chance to try out my new 'Bob Dustrude Folding Bow Saw', which is definitely a keeper!

Ontario has such incredibly diverse paddling destinations. You could spend your whole life paddling this province & not canoe the same place twice. Glad you had a great trip.

Aside from the Wabun group, did you see many other paddlers?

Attachments

• bth_IMG_0971.jpg
    bth_IMG_0971.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
Yellow Canoe,

My 16 foot Old Town Penobscot is 56 lbs so not to bad, the other boat was a 17 Penobscot and was probably close to 70lbs. They performed well for us.

Doug

Heavy boats. You must have liked the couple of steep uphill portages to Wolf Lake!

Still trying to get more pics up, but it keeps saying file to large. I 'm trying to share the regular size photos instead of thumbnails

Still trying to get more pics up, but it keeps saying file to large. I 'm trying to share the regular size photos instead of thumbnails

After you click the picture icon in the tool bar, a dialog box comes up that says [insert image]. Click [from URL ] and then...Unclick the check mark where it says [retrieve remote file and reference locally]. That was the trick for me. Then paste your photo link in the space, and Bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
Back