• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Cast your vote for handle wood type in knife build / fund raiser thread.

Well, I don't want to impugn Brad's character, but both of us could probably pass for hobbits, well, very mature hobbits, and I do have a penchant for two or three breakfasts a day. As for Mordor, it already exists up here, it's called "heck Port", I swore i would never do it again, but if I win the knife, I will guide a trip through heck Port this summer. Those who make it through, I will ceremoniously Knight with the Ripster into the Society of Highly Icky Trippers (S.H.I.T. for short).

The mirror finish glows blue when there are bears near by.

I think the blue glow from the mirrored finish would be obnoxiously bright whereas a satin glow would be soft, soothing and only warn the wearer.

Ooooh, a blade that glows blue! A Bilbo Baggins Canoe Tripper?
Yes, I resemble a hobbit in my stature and appetite. And I used to smoke the Longbottom Leaf.
Having an Elvish blade for fighting orcs and bears and stubborn cans of Klick would be most desirable.
I can hardly wait till we discuss/debate the type of sheath. Belt or dangler? Snap closure or open? Black or brown? Tooled leather or plain? With sequins or just plain old encrusted emeralds?

Ooooh, a blade that glows blue! A Bilbo Baggins Canoe Tripper?
Yes, I resemble a hobbit in my stature and appetite. And I used to smoke the Longbottom Leaf.
Having an Elvish blade for fighting orcs and bears and stubborn cans of Klick would be most desirable.
I can hardly wait till we discuss/debate the type of sheath. Belt or dangler? Snap closure or open? Black or brown? Tooled leather or plain? With sequins or just plain old encrusted emeralds?

So you are changing your vote to mirror so you have a blade that glows blue when bears are around?

I'm pretty sure you and Mem were into the Longbottom Leaf yesterday.

After Mem's true confessions of a lumberjack drag queen stripper, I'm afraid anything dangly in the way of a sheath is out of the question. At this point (after reading the last three pages of posts) I'm kinda sorry I stamped my name on the blade. Sort of a guilt by association thing. I will fight extradition if it comes to that.
Oh well, maybe somebody normal will win it and I'll be off the hook.

For spangly the winner will have to ship the sheath to Mike for his special touch.

Last edited:
Too late to change my vote now. Too much water under the bridge, so to speak. I'll stick with satin. Bluish satin.
I'll wait for the sheath debate before scaring you further with my suggestions. Or maybe it's too late for that.
Anyway, best of luck to all participants in this draw. It's gonna be one helluva nice knife, provided Rippy just does his own thing and ignores some of the more questionable opinions here. (Don't worry Rippy, I've got your back.)

Considering the goings on this past week, I will claim the " normal " tag. You may get out of this with your name intact yet Rippy. All that needs to happen is for me to win the knife. What could be simpler, eh.

I would of course donate my $9.95 Canadian Tire folder, c/w belt pouch, to the runner up. Two iconic blades, one contest.

Christy

It's gonna be one helluva nice knife, provided Rippy just does his own thing and ignores some of the more questionable opinions here. (

No worries Brad. I'm pretty dang bull headed and set in my ways. And those are my good points. I will however go with what ever you guy's decide on the finish.
Feel free to debate the sheath design all you want,,,,,,, but I already know what I'll be doing for the sheath. I think most will like it.

Last edited:
I was thinking that maybe my resistance to the satin finish came from a lack of experience. Maybe you knife experts could help me out. Is Bilbo's blade a mirror finish or satin?

What would the relative merits of satin be to a glowing blade?

What would the relative merits of satin be to a glowing blade?

I have a Mora knife blade that started as black satin but now it glows orange. But you guys are talking about a blue glow so that's probably irrelevant.

Alan

I'm warming up to the idea of a mirrored blade. I think Crocodile Dundee's knife was shiny. It would look good with a crocodile skin sheath.

Alan

Alas, I am completely defeated. If my tail was longer, it would hang between my legs as I sauntered off to a corner with the only trusty friend I have, Mr. Bud Lite. At first I was willing to say that was the knife of the "other" Memaquay, but from whence does one find another so rarified? That knife must have been from that dark period in my life when I was a Drag Queen down on Gottigen Street in Halifax, known by the stage name of The Plaid Prancer. My act involved singing The Lumberjack Song from Monty Python
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg&list=RD5zey8567bcg#t=56
and slowly stripping down to my Stanfield one piece underwear. Indeed, the sparkly knife sheath was the only thing I was wearing by the end, strategically hanging in the appropriate place so as not to break any of Nova Scotia's strict Baptist laws. How you came to possess that remnant piece of my sordid past puts me in complete amazement and servitude to you, and I hereby revoke any of my previous votes for the mirror finish, quaking in terror at the thoughts of what you might unearth next.

I think I caught your act at Seadog’s Sauna and Spa one evening. Luckily no one has questioned how I happened to have glitter and rhinestones so readily available.

Rippy, please note:

I hereby revoke any of my previous votes for the mirror finish, quaking in terror at the thoughts of what you might unearth next.

I guess it's safe to call Satin the winner. It will look classy. The sheath will be a traditional looking sheath that will compliment the knife. There will however be zero glitter on the sheath. Sorry Mike.

Oh Mike,,,, I immediately picked up on that but decided to let it pass. I do remember the Farmersexual shovel.

There are several stories there…

Years ago I had a sister paddling team in the shop putting skids plates on a couple of their canoes. They professed to like “bright shiny things”, so I found some gold glitter in the kid’s craft box and we sprinkled it on the last coat of resin. They were forever trying to convince people that noticed the sparkle that it came from paddling goldfield streams in Alaska.

The Farmersexual shovel was number 5 or 6 in a series. I was repairing some shovels in Cooterville and found a 3-pack of glitter in the shop. Every shovel I repaired got a dusting of glitter on epoxy. One backwoods tradesman there for a job borrowed a shovel and mumbled something about “Gurffrr, unicorn fairydust crap….”. Glitter shovels in Cooterville are now a tradition, albeit not with property owner approval. BTW, I broke the handle on a shovel there last month and brought it home for repair. That puppy is gonna sparkle.

About the custom Memaquay sheath; I had shovel glitter in the shop, but no rhinestones or spangles. Much as I enjoy Memaquay he wasn’t worth a trip to Wal-Mart for spangles. But there in the kid craft box, untouched for 20 years, were baubles worthy of one so rarified.

Mr. McCrea, I feel like the proverbial loser indicated by the old saying "Don't go into a battle of wits unarmed". I am, however, interested in your penchant for glitter, and I think we should try to convince Alan to incorporate some into his lated carbon build. I leave it to you to convince him, you seem to have kissed the Blarney Stone already, indeed, perhaps even slipped it the tongue!

Lotta backstory to the glitter. Good stuff. If we'd just approach it from a different angle, and call the glittery gem encrusted sheath NOT cross-dressing canoetrippesque, but manly under the mountain dwarfish regalia. Yeah, that'll work. Gold dust (not glitzy glitter), rare gems (not Barbie baubles), and storied runes (not gaudy glue) marking the fabled long knife sheath with tales of yore. How's that sound Rippy? Can you see it now? Memeqauy or Canotrouge, huddled next to a low fire, cutting great slabs of freshly killed beast to roast over the flames, a dangerous satin blade flashing in the murky evening light. Actually no. No I can't. Cause I'm gonna win this baby. But I will send postcards of me and my new friend. Just so's ya knows I'm thinkn bout ya.

Ripster sounds so harsh. I'm a vegetarian. I hope Fred gets to come live with me where we can have peaceful life chopping carrots.

Alan

Back