• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Cast your vote for handle wood type in knife build / fund raiser thread.

Reaction score
We are taking a vote on which handle wood to use on the fund raiser knife build. A picture with the wood selection can be found in post #37. Robin is going to have a drawing and one of you donors is going to receive this knife when it's done. Vote now for the handle wood of your choice. http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...-raiser-thread

It looks like B and brass is the favorite by far. I think we can safely call it the winner.
Lets move on to selecting the blade finish. Mirror finish or satin finish.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Vote here, or vote there it all works for me. Hope to get lots of participation from the members.

I'm going with B with brass.

I can picture that knife with that handle hanging off the winners belt, squated down, cooking Canadian slab bacon over a fire in a cold handle frying pan...very cool.

B with brass.

I thought that it was walnut until I read that it is Desert Ironwood. Any of the options would be good, though.

I'll go for B and nickel-silver. I've had too many brass lined folders corrode on me.

Jim

A looks dark and mysterious. I picture it on a classy looking full sized lock back folder.
C looks dense and solid. I picture it with nickel on a sleek knife.
B looks like a classic grain and colour to go with brass, on a classic outdoor or camp knife.

There is no wrong answer here, and it sure is hard to choose.
Given the blade profile and overall design I'm leaning towards B with brass.
As far as names go, I still like The Iowan. Seems fitting to tip my hat to the maker and his skill.
He might be too "aw shucks!" to accept this name, that's okay. We have all winter to toss around ideas, and of course the lucky new blade owner next spring can post photos of their newly named knife.

It looks like "B" with a brass finger guard is leaving the competition behind. We will give it some more time yet. I hope more members check in.

I'm drawn to A, but I am a fan of both ironwood and the desert.

Do you know where the woods were harvested by chance?

I don't know where either of the woods were harvested for sure. I believe that most Desert Ironwood comes from Mexico.

It looks like B and brass is the favorite by far. I think we can call it the winner.

Lets move on to selecting the blade finish. Mirror finish or satin finish.

Back