• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe in Deer Hunt pics

Reaction score
I just returned from a week long canoe in deer hunt at Low's Lake in NY's Adirondacks. I camped at the western end of the lake and hunted pretty close to my campsite, Tomar Pond/Mt., and down towards Bog Lake.
No luck, but a great trip all the same. Actually, I saw more moose sign than deer sign, and lots of other wildlife.
I camped in my downsized 8x10 wall tent. It has an interior frame I made out of dowels and a small wood stove. The frame held up well in the 35 mph winds one night, the stove is a work in progress, I need more stove pipe and a few adjustments to the door and general tightness of the stove.

Normally, I would post some pictures with this report, but the good people over at Webshots have frozen all their options for sharing pictures while they go from free to pay for service so I'm in-between hosts right now.

So if you go here I have posted the pictures of the trip with captions to explain a little about the picture.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101820585424999876229/LowsLakeDeerCampNYADKS?authuser=0&feat=directlink

i love that area. used to go to the scout camp there, and my uncle hunted the five ponds area from the back side (up the oswegatchie). never hunted with him, but he used to take us boys fishing there a lot. he has a (and i still use it!) 1944 Old Town 15' wood and rayon (used to be canvas) canoe. very nice pics, and i'm certain you had a good time, even without getting a deer.

have you posted about your tent over on bushcraftusa? there's a few guys over there who are working on tweaking their tent stoves.

Last edited:
have you posted about your tent over on bushcraftusa? there's a few guys over there who are working on tweaking their tent stoves.

No, I will check out the Bushcraft site. I lurk over at Wintertreeking, but I have given up on the real cold weather camping, so sometimes the equipment they use is for more extreme temps that I want to camp in anymore...ha
I'm thinking of making the stove 12" wide, 12" deep by 6-7" high, just enough to take the chill off and cook on with beaverwood. That would make for a much smaller item to portage. Maybe even pack the tent and stove in one duffle or box.
Most times on this trip when the stove was on I had to open the door to let some heat out, which then gave me a nice view of the lake...not all that bad really.

Hi old buddy.
I really liked photo #13 of you by the lake "Sometimes it's good to sit and think". A very nice photo you should get framed and put up in your workshop.
That photo that you took of me paddling away from your campsite one fall morning is framed and on my wall - still one of my favorites as you can see by my avatar.
cheers Ted

Hi Ted (Shearwater) Thanks, good idea, but then my wife will point to it every time and say "sitting on your arse doing nothing again"...she's funny.

Good to see ya here, hopefully we can get alot of other trippers from around the net to make for a good place to solve the worlds problems and have fun doing it.

Lows lake is closer to your place in Ontario than mine in CT, good camping there for sure.

Hi Ted (Shearwater) Thanks, good idea, but then my wife will point to it every time and say "sitting on your arse doing nothing again"...she's funny.

Good to see ya here, hopefully we can get alot of other trippers from around the net to make for a good place to solve the worlds problems and have fun doing it.

Lows lake is closer to your place in Ontario than mine in CT, good camping there for sure.

Amen.. and a good bit more interesting than LTL!

Good times, and a good place, Lowes/Bog River. Thanks for the pics.

My fav pic is of you cruising the shoreline in the morning mist and fog.

Looking for critters goes best for me when I sit in the bottom of the boat and paddle with a very short paddle.

It's slow, but the profile and action seem less scary to animals than the alternative; so I get closer if I also mind the breeze.

The lack of proper napkins in camp helped keep buckskin clothing waterproof.

Thanks, I skipped this year but as things worked out, I wish I had gone.

I hear NY is dropping their non resident hunting and fishing licenses fee's this coming year, good idea to attract out of state tourists like myself.

What with the free camping at Low's for a week, the big game hunting license was a good deal ($140).

I hear NY is dropping their non resident hunting and fishing licenses fee's this coming year, good idea to attract out of state tourists like myself.

That would be a good thing... maybe I'd stop calculating my fish by the dollar and just have fun catching them again. iirc, fees for a 7-day license went from about $20 to about $36 from 2011 to 2013...

What is indian style paddling?

at the end of the stroke, you turn the paddle sideways and bring it forward, turn it face to the direction of travel again, and take another stroke... slow, but really quiet.

Thanks Jason,
I took my canvas wall tent out Saturday as we expected an 1' of snow turning to rain later in the day. We ended up with 10"s of somewhat heavy wet snow and the tent held up fine. I was wondering about my homemade frame.
I like that tent alot and am planning on another canoe in hunt this year for sure. If I get lucky and win a permit in the Maine moose lottery, (I'm due, $50 every year in chances for a long time) it will be somewhere in the North Maine Woods, otherwise back to Low's in late October.

Robin, where did you get the angle joints for your internal frame? I'm starting to think I might be able to take one of my old canvas tents and make a good solo using your plan.

I forget who I bought my angle kit from, these guys sell them, not too cheap though. My tent originally required 9, it now needs 6, I still have 3 somewhere, yours if you want them.
Shipping could be a bear though. Do you weld? or know a welder.

They do make a nice solo tent, excellent for shoulder season, early fishing trips, hunting trips via canoe. Sets up in minutes and with those hardwood dowels, and tie downs, very sturdy.

Back