• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Building a Tripping Cooler

That is some serious ice retention after 9+ days, far better than any cooler we have ever used. I think you built a winner.

Big and heavy, but I was impressed after it’s unplanned half-mile river run that it took rocks in stride and had only a few tablespoons of water in it. Ice retention helped by some cool 50ish nites. But days were very warm.

Wow still ice on day 9 - that's impressive! Having cold beer on a canoe trip is certainly a worthy endeavor, though around here you are not allowed to have single use beverage containers in the back woods campsites in provincial parks, so I transfer whisky into a stainless steel water bottle.

Here is what I've been doing for a cooler - using a canoe barrel with some winter weight yellow evazote sleeping pads. Without fitting to size or sealing anything or really doing much of anything I can still have a cold barrel on day 4. You can see from the pictures I just have a full sized sleeping pad rolled up in there so I only get coverage along the wall of the barrel one-and-a-half times. And I've only cut out two circles for the top and bottom. This way I can still use the sleeping pad for sleeping if need be. If I were to sacrifice more sleeping pads, cut to fit better, and get double wall coverage everywhere and seal them together somehow I think I could add another day or two to that if I needed to. But I'm just too cheap at the moment :)

Here are a couple of pics
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AfJcqYiyq2NarNi17

Last edited:
Pre-chilling in the freezer in anticipation of an ice-retention/beverage test. :cool:

View attachment 83362
I see this is an old post , before I joined . Have you ever bilt or used Stitch and glue to build a canoe/boat works GREAT for lite projects like these and Wannigans or box panniers for your pack Mules .

I see this is an old post , before I joined . Have you ever bilt or used Stitch and glue to build a canoe/boat works GREAT for lite projects like these and Wannigans or box panniers for your pack Mules .
I haven't tried stitch and glue but agree it would fine for this project.

Back