• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Building a Tripping Cooler

Reaction score
As I've been thinking about doing more tripping, I've been thinking about the issue of food. I know some of you guys go the freeze dried route. But I want to be able to eat more of the stuff I eat when I'm at home, whether that means steaks, hamburgers, chicken, etc. That means I need a means to preserve some food while camping. I'd love to buy a YETI or other high end cooler to bring/keep food fresh on a trip, but the prices of those high-end coolers are astronomical (I guess that's why they are high-end)!

So I decided to build a tripping cooler.

Approach # 1. I went on a guided tour on the Allagash last Fall and we had great food. All the food that needed to be kept frozen or at least cold was carried in a traditional wooden wannigan that the outfitter had rigiged up with closed cell foam insulation panels on the inside; it looked like about 1" thick. The panels seemed kind of loose. But it worked well enough as far as I could tell. So that's approach #1.

Approach # 2. I also have a copy of a book titled "Building Ourdoor Gear" by Maine Guiide Gil Gilpatrick (probably better known for his book on building cedar strip canoes). Gil shows how to build a "trip box" and one option is to convert the trip box into a cooler. Gil's design calls for a design that is distinctly more upright than a traditional wannigan. The advantages he claims are that backpack straps can be added to make it more readily portaged. Aside form the shape, the interesitng thing about the design is its construction. Many wannigans are solid wood or thick plywood. Gil uses thin 1/4" ply but the entire thing is covered in fiberglass/epoxy like a strip canoe -- both to water-proof it and to give it added strength. The interior of Gil's design has 2 inches of rigid closed-cell foam insulation which is also covered in fiberglass and epoxy. Gilpatrick says this design will keep frozen food cold for 7 days without ice. The idea is to pack the cooler with unfrozen food (appropriate bagged) and then place the entire cooler into a chest freezer to freeze the food into a more-or-less solid mass, which will stay cold longer than freezing individual items and then packing them. Anything to be kept merely cold rather than frozen is put on top, cold but unfrozen, just before going on the trip. So that's approach # 2.

I've decided to do a hybrid of #1 and #2. I am using Gil's building materials but I've decided to build mine more in the shape of a traditional wannigan. The places I am likely to take this do not involve long portages so the backpack idea has limited appeal. Keeping the weight low in the canoe and out of the wind, like a traditional wannigan, is a higher priority.

My dimensions, which are driven somewha by my canoe but mostly by the size of the stand-along freezer the cooler needs to fit inside, are 22" long by 16" tall by 15.5" wide.

On to the picture of the build so far. In the attached photo, the box is sitting bottom up and has just received a sealer coat of epoxy. You may be able to see that the vertical edges were all box jointed. Gil recommends using brads to hold the box together before epoxying/fiberglassing. But I've got a good box joint jig (Incra iBox) so I decided to do that instead. The box joints were glued with Titebond III but that's not the only thing that's holding those thin plywood edges together. What you can't see is that on the inside of the box I've already applied a thickened epoxy fillet to each joint. Probably overkill, but I feel confidant that the these joints will be the last thing to fail on my box. The bottom (which, again, is up in this photo) is just attached with thickened epoxy fillets on the inside. The edges have all been eased/rounded over so that the fiberglass will sit down better on the corners.

Next step is to seal the interior. I'll post more as the build continues. Word of warning. I am a slow builder (that's why I named my cedar strip canoe "A Slow Boat to Nowhere"), so I make no promises that this will be done any time soon.

Oh, and I'm building this with materials I had on hand. The epoxy and fiberglass are all left overs from my canoe build. And the plywood was leftovers from another project.

Attachments

• photo9192.jpg
    photo9192.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Interesting idea. So if I understand this correctly, this would be like a chest freezer with the opening at the top? Frozen items kept at the bottom, which will be eaten last, with items arranged in layers towards the top with the less cold items to be eaten sooner. That saves rummaging round the inside of the food container looking for stuff. Not sure about freezing food as one solid mass of packages. I'd prefer the individual frozen method, but I've never done this kind of thing before. I'm new to wannigan building, and was surprised and impressed how light they can be depending on construction choices. Keep your project going and keep us informed. I'll be interested to see the pack strap arrangement.

Well, this may not have pack straps. That was more for the upright design which I rejected in favor of a lower design more like a traditional wannigan shape. So this is more like a cooler or chest freezer.

According to the author of the book from which I got this idea, pack the unfrozen food for the meals in individual bags. Put them in the cooler box in reverse order you will eat them. The entire cooler box goes then goes in a freezer. The idea is there will be less air space between items and the result is a large frozen mass that keeps cold longer. If there is extra space, water jugs/bottles can be added. Fresh/cold but unfrozen stuff (including stuff you want to eat day 1) can go on top the morning you leave. So some rummaging through the fresh stuff. We shall see how it works.

What about a pad on the lid so it can double as a seat? My last few trips, using a traditional cooler, I cooked and then froze enough meals for 6 nights. I also had frozen beverages mixed in and it worked great. I was pleased to find that the last meal was still nearly frozen through. I do like the idea of having the cooler fit below the gunwales as my traditional one did not and it was a pain. Good luck and keep posting as you get it done.

So, at its current height of 16" it is probably a little too tall to fit below the gunnels, although I may yet cut it down. At the moment, I'm thinking of painting a chess/checker board on top. I would certainly consider adding a seat pad that can be removed. The box should be strong enough.

A good project all around. The method you described to prepare and pack a cooler for days of keeping power is well proven by many, but a good reminder to all.

I think you'll find that putting in the appropriate 2" or so amount of foam insulation on sides, bottom and top will eat up a large amount of packing space for your cold and frozen food needs, unless you are packing solo. I do like the idea of permanent install and cover of the foam, as my casual method ("CT Woodworkers: Post your scrap wood projects, 3.7.18") and insulating product has proven to be fairly disappointing and a long weekend trial run last fall on another box should have been incentive enough for me to up the ante insulation wise. An end of winter, stealth camp last weekend...the temps were not above freezing, so no trial at all. But I do know the parts and pieces and tape liner method is annoying and not workable long term.

Covering the box or top and keeping it out of the sun in the boat and in camp are both good habits to extend the cold time as well. Mine are both a bit smaller in width so as to better fit on a poly toboggan for hard water trips. I keep a silicone bakers sheet with my box which allows me to cook or put hot pans, cups on the top, hard to have enough flat surfaces in camp.

I will definitely lose space to insulation. But assuming I keep the 22 x 16 x 15.5 dimensions, after 2 inches of insulation all around, interior dimensions should be 18 x 12 x 11.5 (a little more will be lost by fiberglass/epoxy but that will be negligible). So, the finished interior volume should 2484 cubic inches, which is 40.7 liters or 10.75 gallons (43 quarts). Don't know if that will be enough. But with dry/non-perishable food kept elsewhere, I'd think that's enough for frozen/cold foods.

Good tip about the baker's sheet, by the way.

Last edited:
AFTER you build it start to use it, put a layer of sandiest on the bottom, add medical freezer blocks, more sawdust, the last frozen meal you will eat, a layer of sawdust, med blocks, sawdust, 2nd to last meal. Build it up that way and even in an old Coleman Cooler your food will stay frozen for a week. At night remove the next night's frozen meal and put it in the refrigerator cooler or Beer cooler to thaw and keep that food/beer cold.

This works with one rule: The freezer is opened only once a day.

AFTER you build it start to use it, put a layer of sandiest on the bottom, add medical freezer blocks, more sawdust, the last frozen meal you will eat, a layer of sawdust, med blocks, sawdust, 2nd to last meal. Build it up that way and even in an old Coleman Cooler your food will stay frozen for a week. At night remove the next night's frozen meal and put it in the refrigerator cooler or Beer cooler to thaw and keep that food/beer cold.

This works with one rule: The freezer is opened only once a day.

What are medical freezer blocks?

My son gets them from the hospital he works at, I just did a google search to find something that looked like what we use.

Just checked the freezer, the ones we use are -5˚C, 23˚F

Years ago, Karin built a cooler that fit into the canoe almost like a built in, but was removable for portages. It is a half moon shape, exactly matching the curve of the hull, with a lid on each end, and rope handles. She put the rigid foam lining in and we would freeze milk jugs full of water to keep it cold inside. In retrospect, we could have just put frozen food in it. We called it the Canooler. While it worked pretty good, it was a beast to portage and only fit the Mattawa, so we stopped using it. These days I just take a soft sided cooler with frozen stuff for the first few days.

I gotta admit, ice cold water ( or beer) on a hot day is pretty special.

Wow. This has taken way longer than I anticipated. I've been busy canoeing and fiberglassing/epoxying the interior was a total nightmare. But I am on the home stretch.
file.php?id=42606.jpg
file.php?id=42607.jpg

This cooler needs a name. It will be painted white. It isn't a YETI. So I thought I'd call it a NYETI as a play on the Russian word "nyet" or not and YETI. Which graphic is better?

This?
file.php?id=42606.jpg
Or this? file.php?id=42606.jpg

Last edited:
Or if it's a cooler for frozen food it could be a Fooler.

But since it is for tripping does that make it a Tooler?

And if you're filling it with really really tasty food it must be a Drooler.

ps . Really nice work. I like the clean lines on that.

Last edited:
I though I had a brilliant idea for how to create a seal around the cooler's top and make the cooler somewhat easier to handle. This brilliant idea involved mounting a band of oak around the cooler at about the height needed to mate with lower edge of the top. I put a groove in the banding to accept/protect the bottom edge of the lid. I made the groove slightly deeper than necessary so that some weather stripping could be placed in the bottom of the groove to make a compressible seal with the lower edge of the top.
I was pleased with the how the banding looked.
file.php?id=42683.jpg
Except if you look closely, you will see the lip on long edge of the banding is wider than the lip on the sides. It wasn't originally so. After installing the banding, I remembered that the the wannigan/cooler is intended to fit in my stand-alone freezer and was sized accordingly. Unfortunately, the original design did not account for this banding -- which I realized only after the epoxy had hardened. And it was about 5/16"s too wide!!!

Much cursing was followed by hand planing and hand sanding of the banding on the sides until it will just barely fit the freezer.

file.php?id=42684.jpg
But the result is the lip is now thinner on the sides than on the front/back. I could have thinned the lips on the front and back to match, but I'm going to leave it as is as a reminder that you shouldn't change the design mid-project without re-measuring!

Not shown yet are the feet, which are oak blocks. Next up I am working on a method to attach some webbing handles.

Still to be decided: whether to use hardware (latches) to hold the lid down or just use more webbing to strap it down.

Also to be decided: whether to use self-adhesive weather stipping in the groove to make the seal with the top or whether to put some kind of paint/pour in rubbery substance (Flex Seal?).

Very nice job! I agree with Odyssey, I like the lines. BTW, I never mismeasure or make mistakes except for expoying a seat in backwards, mixing resin so it turns into a hockey puck, cutting gunwales too short by 2 inches, making a paddle out of pine only to have it break in the first mile of use...the list goes on and on. Live and learn!

dougd

Back