• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Alchohol

My twig stove and pot go in a canvas bag. I never clean them.

I cook over naptha or propane almost exclusively so soot is not an issue. I do wash my pots every use though...of food residue...so I have a bit of trouble understanding why a sooty pot would be left that way when you are cleaning the inside anyway.

Like Brad, bringing my pots back uncleaned is a good way to invite Master Corporal Christine to come for a visit. She is not a fun time.

I just like my kit to be clean. I use one of those black cloth shopping bags for the pots .
Christy

I don't "cook"---I boil water-so the pot never needs washed. I do wash my bowl and spoon after every meal though.

I use a Trangia alcohol stove kit. Two pots, windscreen and base, fry pan and burner all nestled in space of your average pan. Weight, well under two pounds depending on the model and material.

The wind screen is essential to keep the heat focused and makes the store very fuel efficient. A quart of inexpensive and easily obtained denatured alcohol gets us through an average week. Fuel burns clean, no messy pots. If there is any blackening just add water to the alcohol.

The base and windscreen keep the burner well off and isolated from the ground so the stove is safe to use in a tent if need be. The base and windscreen keep your pots securely on the stove so there is no chance of accidentally tipping over your pot.

As for twig stoves, many places I go to do not allow fires. You will get a ticket if someone sees or smells your smoke. You need to come up with a better long term plan.

As for twig stoves, many places I go to do not allow fires. You will get a ticket if someone sees or smells your smoke. You need to come up with a better long term plan.
Open fires burning wood are not allowed in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks. This includes wood burning twig stoves. Many people do not know until it is too late that using one will result in a ticket and fine. Thankfully in the remaining 90% of the Adirondacks wood fires are still allowed as long as you use only down and dead wood (twigs and pine cones included).

Last edited:
In the high peaks area I use my twig stove with cheap military surplus fuel tabs.

Does the Emberlit fireant stove gassify like the solo stove? I watched a couple videos and the flame doesn't seem "torchy" like my solo stove. The dude demonstrating also kept lifting the pot to provide oxygen to the fire, which I've never had to do with the solo.

Back