• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Adirondack ice out Hot Tent Gathering

DuctTape - If I can make it you're always welcome in my shelter. I currently own a Seek Outside 8 person tipi but with the stove it still should fit 4 comfortably. Feel free to crash in there if you'd like. It would be nice to finally meet you in person!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Much appreciated.

I have quite a bit of traditional gear: wood, wool, canvas and what not. I just don't use a stove.

Much appreciated.

I have quite a bit of traditional gear: wood, wool, canvas and what not. I just don't use a stove.

No stove is ok, cold camping is good too. I assumed you where referring to a modern nylon type tent, I should have confirmed that.

So if your outfit is "traditional set ups, tipi's, hot tents, tarps or any other non modern tents", please consider coming.

I have nothing against cold camping with modern gear, it's just that this event is about camping with traditional set ups in the shoulder season, and that's what I'm trying to attract.

I have nothing against cold camping with modern gear, it's just that this event is about camping with traditional set ups in the shoulder season, and that's what I'm trying to attract.

That's exactly what and when I've been thinking of for the past couple years. A small canvas tent in the shoulder season. I wish I'd gotten into winter camping years ago. It looks like so much fun, but that kind of fun looks uphill for me now. Extending my paddling season looks very attractive. I've sold the idea to my wife. She's keen on quiet base camps on Crown Land up here in late autumn. We'll see.
In the meantime, I hope this early spring canvas tent gathering happens. I'm looking forward to the trip reports.

I have no traditional gear...but would possibly like to swing by and meet everyone, and see the set ups.
Any objections to a casual observer stopping by, assuming this all comes to fruition?
I promise to keep my ripstop and Goretex cleverly concealed! (at some point, these too, will be considered "old school")

Great, Please do make an effort to stop by. That would be nice to meet you too.

With this warm weather I have been working on some other projects and have not done much as far as a location. One ranger I want to talk to is hard to get a hold of, I'll keep trying.

Looks like I'm checking Craig's list for more goodies! Sounds cool, would also like to camp out somewhere and look at all the toys.

The Sarnac/Tupper area is only, depending on the border crossing, about a 3 hour drive from Ottawa. This get-together is really got me interested. Unless something untowards happens, I'll be there. One person 7x9 cabin style tent - was 100% canvas before using some translucent rip-stop nylon at the back. Easy 2-tree setup - a Craig MacDonald idea. Home-made wood stove.

I just did a map quest thing, 16 hours driving time from my place. Too bad Easter is in March this year, I only would have had to take a couple of days off.

DuctTape - If I can make it you're always welcome in my shelter. I currently own a Seek Outside 8 person tipi but with the stove it still should fit 4 comfortably. Feel free to crash in there if you'd like. It would be nice to finally meet you in person!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Ohhhh, can I join? I'll pick up wood in the area and other stuff.

Looks like it has a canvas floor too, you could probably cut that out and save quite a bit of weight. If you want to get into off season camping, that's a pretty inexpensive deal, if you don't like the tent, I'm sure you could probably re-sell it for the same price. That weight still seems odd though, but no big deal if you are not man-hauling it.

It's to heavy for me. I would probably use something like that going winter camping in NH where I could drive to a base camp and go hiking from there. Some reviews said it leaked even after seam sealing it, others said it was fine. Just don't like how 1 pole holds up the whole thing. Maybe someone here would want it. That's why I posted it. It's been on sale for a while, guess it's a weight problem. Just having fun looking at stuff. Did see an old boy scout tent for $200 but it's kind of small. This website is addicting and costly trying to get some cool toys.

Back