• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Adirondack ice out Hot Tent Gathering

Thanks Snapper, hope when the time comes we'll all be able to hang out and relax. Think we all need to get away and escape sometimes.

Just curious, what do your canvas tents weigh? I'm guessing that the fabric cloth is different and poles and size. If you pull it with a sled what's your limit? 25-40lbs? Car camping and canoeing is a different story. Was thinking because I looked at that teepee tent again.

If you are car camping, or canoeing without many ports, tent weight doesn't really matter. My Kanguk, which is a similar size and style, is 18 pounds, but it has nylon sidewalls. Sinking money into a winter tent is a big step, but that one you were looking at was pretty cheap. You should have a look at it anyway, just for fun.

Picked this up today for $15

https://picasaweb.google.com/109787809032966769551/MorsanCanvasTent

A bit smaller than I thought, hoping to cut off broken zippers, replace with velcro. Cut out floor and use the edges to go out under the side walls for the snow to rest on and maybe find a tiny stove and insert that pipe window, also vent in the top and etc etc etc... Any other thoughts would be helpful. Was used by the previous owner after Hurricane Sandy, sadly his house was destroyed. I'm hoping to get better memories back into this tent for them.

memaquay - I was probably 30 min away from that A frame, was really thinking about it. But it's so large, most of my camping whether lean to's or hiking or canoeing has small sites. I thought about nylon sidewalls. Hmmm, I need the experts to look at the Morsan I bought and possibly the Kelty 12-12 noah tarp I just bought to make something custom. Think I don't have enough tarp for a real 4 man tent.

I think people are right get rid of the floor and you probably save 10-15 pounds!! Still a bit on the heavy side, but again with a big tent like that you would most likely not go solo, so you can spread the weight among other that would share the tent at night... you cary the tent, I carry the stove and food, he carries the kitchen box, axe and saw!

Picked this up today for $15

https://picasaweb.google.com/109787809032966769551/MorsanCanvasTent

A bit smaller than I thought, hoping to cut off broken zippers, replace with velcro. Cut out floor and use the edges to go out under the side walls

Good choice, needs a tarp over the top. My wife and I had the same tent "before kids", lots of good times, beaches on Long Island, Delaware River, Catskills, man you set that up at the CT Gathering and I'll be reminiscing all night....:rolleyes:

I spoke with Will Benzel, a NYS Forest Ranger today. We went over a few locations and he suggested that the free camping areas around Horseshoe Lake (google Horseshoe Lake, NY) would probably be the best bet.
He explained that the type of winter/spring weather of 2016 in the Adirondacks really dictates what will be available come early April. It might be snow cover, mud, open water or ice. Very unpredictable.
Horseshoe Lake has a paved (plowed) road and a good cleared spot to park cars. It has a nice open area we could set up 7-10 tents with the option for more tents nearby. If there is a group of more than 9 folks he gave me a number that I could reach him for a free permit to cover the extra number on short notice.
Finally, there are a few more free sites on the road if folks who want to join in with regular camping gear should we have a warm spring or things just work out.
Again, the theme is hot tents, traditional winter campers, Teepes, tarps etc. It would be great to have a few set up a central camp and a bunch of Canoetripping.net folks show up to meet/greet/ share the central campfire and camped in the area.
I think it's a work in progress, lots of options and it could be a really nice time. If you have a winter camping outfit you should consider joining us.

Last edited:
Robin - That's great news. I know that many of us have at least passed by Horseshoe Lake on the way into Lows. I stayed there years ago with a group of students when Lows turned out to be too flooded to go in safely. We base camped there and did day trips in the area instead. It worked for our little group so I'm sure it could be a great location for this planned assemblage. Thanks for working out the details and finding a location that will accommodate this.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I would be very interested.

That said. I keep seeing the word "traditional." Does my Seek outside Tipi fit that concept? It's a very not traditional material.

Last edited:
Looks like we have an Eastern Canoetripping.net rendezvous

Early April?

or

Mars, sure, I'd like to see that rig set up. Hope you can make it.

sweeper, I'm open to any of those dates, how about the weekend of the 1,2 and 3rd?

I have been thinking the same thing. It might be too warm for wood stoves and we'll need screen houses for the bugs instead.

I have been playing around with my wall tent/stove lately hoping for a winter camp out if the temps ever drop and we get some snow. If not I'll be ready for the April Gathering in the Adirondacks.
When I downsized my tent from an 8x10 to it's current size of 7x6, I also downsized my wood stove and went from a 5" pipe to 4". Those stove jacks are expensive so I kept the 5" jack and lived with extra space around the pipe.

DSC00750.JPG

Last week my wife wore out a cookie sheet making Christmas cookies so I cut it up and made a sleeve for the stove pipe. A little extra weight, but it didn't drain my wallet, so alls good.

My new sleeve, nice tight fit to keep out the drafts, next I need to season the stove to stop the rust!

Opinions on Panther Prinitive wanted. One for sale near me. 10 by 12. Also need sales pitch to say to my wife. She might tell me to sell gear. Thanks

Back