• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Adirondack ice out Hot Tent Gathering

Reaction score
Just an idea and not sure where, when, or who, but I'll open the discussion and see where it goes. There are a few here who have traditional set ups, tipi's, hot tents, tarps or any other non modern tents that might be interested in getting together for a few days in NY's Adirondacks in early spring to camp and see each others outfits.

April sounds like a good idea, but iirc there could be ice up until the end of the month. One option, we could plan to camp at a drive in lakeside location and forgo any paddling in the event of a still iced in lake. I avoid organized campgrounds at all costs, and I know of 2 drive in locations that would work without the worry of un-opened access roads, or fee's.

A central location in the Adirondacks would also allow our Canadian friends to join in.

Anybody else interested?

Sounds like something fun to look forward to Robin. I'll be taking an ice out trip either way. I'm interested.

If I can get together hot-tenting gear this year, I would love to come! Hopefully the canoe/life partner and I get our sh't together soon. It would be neat to go somewhere other than our Ontario "backyard". I'll let him know about it and get back to you.
Now I just need to save money for the tent and stove.. Yikes. Decided on a snowtrekker, not sure about the stove yet.

Yikes. Decided on a snowtrekker, not sure about the stove yet.[/QUOTE]
There is a lot of other tent now on the market other than Snowtrekker even if I think that Snowtrekker are still the bench mark!!
I would love to join in, but the 6000km drive to the put in is a bit of a urn off!!

tear knee; If you haven't got outfitted by februrary, get up to Algonquin for the Family day weekend, there will be lots of winter campers of all types there and some outfitters too, you might even get a bargain on a rental setup as it's near the end of the season

Robin -

I'd have to work the date around my work at school since our trips are on weekends but I'm definitely interested in seeing this come off. If you're keeping an informal list of interested parties, consider me as a member of that list! Thanks.

Until next time...be well.

snapper

Well, setting a date is always a problem, lots of busy folks. I think April is the best, May could be too warm for hot tents. I have made a few calls to various NYS Rangers for information on the places I know are available and with open roads that time of year.

Lots of time to work out the details and location, and get out kits ready.

images

or

images

tent.png So I bought the canvas a while back to try this set up from Nessmuk's 1888 Woodcraft book. Not quite hot tenting but would make a good winter sewing project for my better half and trying it out in April would be pretty tempting. My usual winter camping is literally in a snowbank casue snow is very insulating.

Nice idea. There are already a few of us on this site and the Winter Trekkers site who are thinking of a group gathering (low key) up in the ADK park during early Feburary... so hard water season for sure. For those tempted...there are quite a few winter capable tents that don't involve the cost of the Snowtrekker. Could you PM me with the locations of your intended gathering...? Always looking for new spots that are winter plowed out.

Southcove, I don't know about plowed out locations., although Little Tupper Lake might be an option

I am interested, but I dont have a hot tent setup. I still cold-camp in winter. Can I still come?

Finding a site to accommodate everyone will be an issue, I would say we will have to wait and see about cold campers with modern gear.
Sorry, but my initial invitation was "traditional set ups, tipi's, hot tents, tarps or any other non modern tents ".
There will be many factors, weather, ice out, location size and getting the kits to the site and amount of decent tent pads. Canvas tents/wood stoves are not as easy to move about on dry land, so all this needs to be addressed and they get priority in my efforts to make this come off.
Not trying to be exclusive, heck, we might not even get many or any hot tenters come April, but they are what I had in mind when I got the idea and I would like to keep it on theme.

DuctTape - If I can make it you're always welcome in my shelter. I currently own a Seek Outside 8 person tipi but with the stove it still should fit 4 comfortably. Feel free to crash in there if you'd like. It would be nice to finally meet you in person!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

We might need a helpful ranger for suggestions and a permit to make this happen. (a true group site or closed campground would be ideal, also lake access).
I am going to be looking at a potential group site near Inlet for our planned February winter outing in the next 4 weeks or so and will let you know if it would be appropriate for the ice out trip.

Someplace like Little Tupper might be problematic as you would have to have reliable ice out to get to the camp sites there or on nearby Round . Not sure all of us would be up for boating our traditional setups down the lake. (I know you have that down pat from the Low's Lake trips)

Someplace like Little Tupper might be problematic as you would have to have reliable ice out to get to the camp sites there or on nearby Round . Not sure all of us would be up for boating our traditional setups down the lake. (I know you have that down pat from the Low's Lake trips)

Sorry, I was responding to your post #11, I thought you asked for plowwed out locations for your gathering in Feb, LTL might be a good spot for winter camping in Feb. for you. I spoke with the ranger there years ago and he mentioned it as a great winter camping spot so I had to assume there would be some parking available (no doubt you would need to double check this info.)

I agree, it would not be suitable for the April Hot tent gathering as the chances are good it will be frozen but unsafe for sleds and I also agree most here are not set up to move their kits via canoe. That's why I mentioned "drive in" location in my OP, I have a couple in mind and getting ahold of the Rangers can be an issue this time of year.

Best we keep this thread about the April Hot tent gathering to avoid confusion.

Back