• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Adirondack ice out Hot Tent Gathering

It's a wall tent. Not to sure if military of the fur trade style. Both look the same to me. It has external poles and what I've read so far is that most folks like the internal poles. I would be car camping with it. Also read that adjustable poles are nice. I probably shouldn't be looking at it. But I like winter camping both base camping and hiking. Might have to sell something to get it. Thanks for opinions.

All my primitive tents and tarps are panthers. Good tents. I believe a wall style tent is the best winter setup.I think out side poles is called western style. Both have advantages. Western style(outside poles),if set up with long crossed type ridge poles, has no center ridge pole in the way, but longer poles to haul.
Turtle

I have primitive winter camped for 40 years in everything from an open diamond tarp on the ground, tepee(cold unless in front of an open fire), enclosed Baker(a pain to set up), wedge tent(cold and little headroom), pyramid tent(hot,heavy,hard to enter and exit and claustrophobic) to a wall tent- just right. My two favorites are a diamond and wall tent.
Turtle

Thanks Turtle. For now I need to take care of family situations and maybe in a month or two things will change.

Like Turtle mentioned, there are lots of ways to enjoy that new stove before you have the $$$ to get the next tent of your choice...my fall camp outs often see a cheap pop-up with 3 sided wind curtains...really holds the heat nice. (make sure you properly support the pipe against falling or coming apart)

Just double checking here. Is this going to be sledding into a sight or pretty well a short walk between vehicle and tent sight?
thanks.
Ted

Just double checking here. Is this going to be sledding into a sight or pretty well a short walk between vehicle and tent sight?
thanks.
Ted
In normal camping season its car camping. The wild card is the weather which is not cooperating in the snow department. Feb. March and April could be fickle. Hope for snow.. Then all you need is snowshoes. Some of the sites are muddy. Nothing above 100 feet drag. so the sled could be left at home or not.. depending on your like.

Have fun all. I have a new small travel trailer and will be canoeing the Green in UT again. I just love the desert in bloom!

But that pertains not at all to the Gathering. Lows is just a short drive. I suspect that even in this open winter the road will still be gated, even if the water is open.. Another conundrum.. some really good canoeing and hiking for several days is still close. It might be worth checking with the ranger closer to gathering date as to conditions.

Last edited:
thanks.
Ted
Like YC said, very unpredictable. As the date gets closer, I will speak with the local ranger again and get some more information.

We never did pick a date, the last mentioned was April 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Picking a date for these things is always dicey, but April Fools Day with ice on the lake might seem appropriate for a group of canoeist's. So, April 1st, 2nd & 3rd it is.

I doubt the ice on Horeshoe will be gone but you never know. Snow on the ground? Mud? Who knows.

Thanks for the info.
I was wondering about a sled since I discovered a few weeks ago that my uhmwpe sled didn't hold up to being driven over by my pickup truck. :(
April 1,2 and 3 is now in my calendar as it's only a 3 hour drive from Ottawa.
cheers

Glad you've been able to select a date but it puts me out of the running as well. We've got our accepted student "Open House" that Saturday and then we have our lean-to service trip in the Catskills set for Sunday. Have a great time all who can attend. I'll definitely be sending my good thoughts your way.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Today I found out that in early March I will be having a procedure done down at the West Haven Ct VA Medical Center, along with some follow up treatment and it sounds like I will be on light duty for a while. This all came on very quickly, a big Thanks to my local VA doctor I see for check-ups for being so vigilant.

At this time I don't think I will be available for the planned spring Gathering. Very sorry about this, had I known I wouldn't have started the conversation.

Most important is to get well soon and enjoy more time with your grandchildren! There will be plenty of opportunities to hang out together. No need to ever apologize. Be well.

Robin - My guess is I'm speaking for many when I say "no worries." The only truly important thing is that you get whatever is ailing you cared for. You're way too important to your family and all of us around here for this to be an issue. Take care of yourself; that's the most important issue here.

Take care and until next time....be (and stay) well.

snapper

Nothing to be sorry about good buddy? Whatever it is, you have a big cheering section with this community.
At my age, I know that recuperating can take a bit of time so take it easy.
Canoeing season isn't too far away. Perhaps later in the year we can pick a route without portages and some easy paddling.
Some of those Adirondack lakes come to mind.
Cheers Ted

Thanks Ted. I expect to be 100% back to my normal self by late spring, which is kinda scary when I think about it.

Just got back from my 34th primitive camp. here is my 2 cents from winter camp experience. TENTS-use the minimum of stakes-they freeze in the ground tie to trees, straw is better than hay-under the floor-put a groundcloth down first,then straw,then top ground cloth. Tipis are cold and good in the wind,. Wedge tents sort of cold and not space efficient and ok in the wind. Bakers with enclosure are warm, but lots of work to set up and poor in the wind, Diamond one poles are easy to set up,warm, not space efficient, excellant in the wind, but clostriphobic and hard to go in and out of. Wall tents beat all the rest for warmth, space effencincy, and ok wind resistance and easy in and out,and roomy.
STOVES- Get one that will take 20" wood-the other dementions are dictated by the size of your tent. grates aren't necessary,sheet metal stoves are lighter and boil water best, ALWAYS screw your stovepipe sections in the stove and to each other,a stovepipe outlet over your tent will drip creosote on your tent, use a set of stove legs driven into the ground to set your stove on,you can use roof flashing for a cheep easy spoke hole bushing if you don't care about primitive.
Turtle

Hope that didn't come across as know it allish. I just thought my long experience in primitive winter camps with app 20 other camps would be of use to someone.
Turtle

Not at all. I read it with interest. Your thoughts on stoves has me thinking about mine.
A. mine only takes 14" wood, but I don't winter camp, just shoulder season so I guess I'm good. It was originally 12x12x24, it packs away well in the canoe.
B. I don't screw the pipes together but that creosote on the tent is something to think about. I never have had an issue with creosote dripping but I need to keep it in mind
C. What are spoke hole bushings?

Back