• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

A Raven for Christmas

If I remember correctly you epoxied the ends of the seat frame to the sides of your canoe? Did you put a rail underneath?
Yes. I epoxied some scrap 3/8 Cherry to the hull under the seat rails, notched so the seat was sitting solidly with as much contact area as possible. I then shaped the ends of the seat rails to match the hull shape & epoxied the seat to the support rails and the sides of the hull. Whether I do it that way again will be an in-game decision but, if I do, I'll drop the thwart behind the seat figuring the seat will provide adequate lateral strength.

Lots of finish sanding on the deck plates and gunnels. I urethaned the seat webbingIMG_20240218_100710337.jpg
I need to drill a drain hole in each end of the canoe, so water can drain out when flipped upside down. I thought maybe to drill an angle through the inner stemIMG_20240218_103248381.jpg
Instead of drilling through the center of the deck. Unfortunately I covered my inner stem on the bow end.IMG_20240218_104556569.jpg
Other then that I've got the thwarts ready to installIMG_20240218_104930679.jpgI like the spalted ash. These came from a tree that was in my neighbor's yard. I memory of him, someone I admired and looked up to.

Inside ready for polyurethane.
Roy

I think you have arrived at the magic formula for seat placement in the Raven. Both of mine have been in that same ball park. Still leaves enough room for a barrel behind you if necessary, and lots of room up front. My memory is not the greatest but I believe John Winters said that the way to achieve good forward momentum with his solo canoes was to make sure the stern squatted a little deeper than the bow. That seat placement works well for that, but still leaves the canoe quite responsive.

If the bow is too light ? Just adjust gear, or add some weight.
Tell us how it trims, when the weather allows !

Looks awesome Roy (and, see, you beat me easily). What's the design on the floor in the oval?
I was working on an idea for a brand. It didn't quite work out like I expected. Next time I'll do it on the computer. I didn't realize I left my finger prints behind.

IMG_20240225_083316001.jpg

I figured if I ever get the chance to make it up north to Canada for an extended trip in the wilderness, maybe some one can use that to identify my mosquito drained bloodless body, or maybe notify my next of kin once I've died of hypothermia. Yep I might even make a section in the news. Something like "Hillbilly found frozen to death" "Unprepared for the cold weather and frozen to his wet cotton whitey tightys, and all cotton clothing". Maybe I'll make a splash before I go.

Awesome. My daughter drew a stylized trillium for the hull of my 1st build. It was drawn and shaded in pencil then glassed over. It was really cool when, coming off the Steel River, one of the 4 guys I met fishing recognized it as a trillium & commented on it. I'll trace it onto any I build now.

You could check with Mem to be sure but I think they frown on frozen hillbillies (bad press and gives the bears gas)... take your winter gear and go in August.

A Raven from Scratch.
Now it's time to Scratch the Raven !

Big Mouth Billy Bass Quote.
"Take me to the river. Put me in the water ! "

Looks great ! Congratulations !

Jim

Beautiful canoe! I bet you smile every time you look at it. I know I would. I like how you're willing to experiment and explore new ideas. Nicely done!

I don't know if this will work. I finished the Raven canoe and took it out for a short paddle. It is a lot more responsive then the Wabnaki I made. It has lots of room for plenty of gear. I took it the local lake that has been drawn down to winter pool, so it's not a very scenic area. I'm very happy with it.
Many thanks to everyone here for your input and advice.
Roy

Bow light. Add some weight to the bow, and your trim would be good.
I usually paddle my canoes empty. so, 6" aft of center works for me.
Canoe looks Awesome !
Plenty of freeboard.

Now for some tripping !

She looks pretty on the water.
I was gonna say you’re too light in the bow as well… then I looked at the profiles of the plan. I think you’re just about spot on. Mean design load is 280 lbs, so I would expect you would ride high.
Those angled accent strips look great!!

Back