• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

A Hash brown Dehydating video.

Reaction score
Here is a great Dehydrating video, by Joe of Joe's Paddles.. I just picked up a barely used Dehydrator. This seems like a perfect time of year to try this !

I'll have to look for those bags of frozen hash browns. Haven't noticed them before. For several years I have done the same thing with the brick style of frozen and pretoasted HBs easily found at Walmart or (even better) in packages of 20 bricks from Aldii's. I break up the frozen bricks into smaller pieces before dehydrating. They rehydrate perfectly in about 5 minutes with a little boiling water. I really like to cook up a package of country gravy mix to put on top and maybe some separately rehydrated herbed ground beef. Yum. Goes great with spam as well.

Only if you have a Costco within a reasonable drive:(

Plenty of other mail order options. I can't remember the brand I used but they were good. I thought hashbrowns and eggs would be a good tripping breakfast but I never seemed to be able to eat enough to get full so went back to oatmeal.

Alan

Ha! Mason nailed it. Exactly what I thought at about the 10 second mark on the video. You can actually buy the dehydrated shredded hashbrowns at any grocery store, at least around here. The 1/2 pint cartons that have the "fill to here" line on the outside. Just boil, fill to there, wait 5 minutes and dump into a frying pan. One of those with a packet of sausage gravy mix and some hot sauce makes a great breakfast for 2. You don't really even have to fry the potatoes if in a pinch. Alternate potato meals are the augratin/scalloped box potatoes. Same thing, just add boiling water. My food dehydrator started making a terrible noise this spring. I've had it for 25 years now, maybe time for a new one.

Mark

In the US, dehydrated shredded hash browns are readily available. They, apparently, are not available outside of the US. The big disadvantage to drying your own is that you need a plan to use them or else throw a bunch of them away. The hash browns in the video are commonly known, in the US, as "Southern Style" or "Potatoes O'Brien" (with green peppers). I would be tempted to dehydrate some of them to use in soups and stews. I've used dehydrated vegetables to make a Brunswick Stew that can be rehydrated relatively easily. I pre-package the vegetables and then add meat when I am ready to make the stew. The shredded hash browns work, but aren't the best because they tend to get lost in the stew. These cubed hash browns would probably give a better feel to the stew.

In the US, dehydrated shredded hash browns are readily available. They, apparently, are not available outside of the US. The big disadvantage to drying your own is that you need a plan to use them or else throw a bunch of them away. The hash browns in the video are commonly known, in the US, as "Southern Style" or "Potatoes O'Brien" (with green peppers). I would be tempted to dehydrate some of them to use in soups and stews. I've used dehydrated vegetables to make a Brunswick Stew that can be rehydrated relatively easily. I pre-package the vegetables and then add meat when I am ready to make the stew. The shredded hash browns work, but aren't the best because they tend to get lost in the stew. These cubed hash browns would probably give a better feel to the stew.

Unfortunately they're impossible to find in Canada though, I've only ever been able to get them one time- at Target shortly before they closed several years ago

The big disadvantage to drying your own is that you need a plan to use them or else throw a bunch of them away.
Depends how you store them. Have stored dehydrated food in the freezer for up to 4 years and it was still fine and that was in ziplock bags. Using a vacuum sealer can probably go even longer. I never store dehydrated camping food in the pantry, always the fridge or freezer until the trip.

Very strange that some of you can't find these hash browns. All the grocery stores I've been in out west have them. They are usually located with all the other instant potatoes. The amount in the small pint sized cardboard container makes a good breakfast for 2. I add dried onions to the box before adding the water to rehydrate. To round out a breakfast I'll make a package of some type of gravy to pour over the top. There are some good instant sausage gravy packets out there. If I'm preparing for a solo trip I will split the potatoes in half and put them in zip lock bags. You can rehydrate right in the bag if you're not afraid.

Mark

Edit: I should have read what I posted before, at least my story is consistent.

I have purchased the Golden Grill dehydrated hash browns from Amazon and they are pretty good, IMO. They do take some time to prepare, however, requiring about 30 minutes to fully rehydrate and then you need to grill them. Not too good if you are trying to get an early start to get on the river. I have also warmed up the precooked turkey or pork sausage patties, chopped them up, and stirred them into the hash browns as they grill. Makes of a pretty good, if not quick, breakfast.

they're available in Canada too- https://www.costco.ca/golden-grill-hasbrown-potatoes,-8-count.product.100552663.html

Thumbs up on the Costco hash browns. I have used them on many trips and occasionally at home. And for me their use on trips qualifies as real cooking given that I generally don't eat anything harder to prepare than heat-and-serve food.

Back